Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2006, 12:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
FYI Sideways himself called his Scorpio the bouncing ball. The fact that he won is a reflection of his driving skills and it does not necessarily mean that it was a great handler. At average speeds of 40kmph on such trecherous terrain, its not the handling ability that counts but the ability to take punishment and keep going.

However, let us not drag poor Farhaan into this arguement. The point is that the vehicle IS a bad handler at high speeds - this is not heresy but a fact that is well documented at various places. It does not mean that it is a BAD vehicle, but handling is definitely not one of its strengths.
Who says it is a bad handler ? and relative to which other SUV type vehicles is it a bad handler ? The now well quoted cone test a few months ago in ACI (??) found the Safari had far worse handling than even the old (pre suspension mod Scorpio) yet Safari owners will insist this is not the case.

Having driven both vehicles (2004 Scorpio and 2003 Safari) on extensive journeys they both have negative point. Maybe the brakes on the Scorpio could be improved but apart from that everything else you experience is down to your driving habbits.

I have travelled in various other SUV such as the X5, Discovery, Range Rover and at high speeds they all display problems with handling. The key to an SUV is that you have to drive it correctly to avoid problems if you cannot do this then best get a normal car.
Old 6th December 2006, 17:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
It seems that the unequal weight distribution (top-heavy) nature of the car is the prime reason for bad handling inspite of the spruced up suspension.

All aluminium 2.2L block is believed to weigh less than the current one by 70 kgs (more than 20% reduction in weight) , it should hopefully solve the handling issues to a major extent.
I agree,what you say makes sense and i hope it equates to that.
Old 20th December 2006, 11:58   #48
BHPian

Hi

All you resourcefull guys, dont you have any inside information as to when this new beast is due to arrive now that the Tata's have had a debut of the Safari 2.2 I am sure this one will be out soon too. Also any idea on the Scorpio Pick up when will it debut in India, Tata TL Sprint surely looks good, I am sure that Mahindra is planning to counter these Tata moves.

Ciao
Old 20th December 2006, 14:09   #49
BHPian

guys,

i do not appreciate scorpio for the simple reason that they change the car every year. they have had over four versions in last 4 years.

I donno after some time if we will get any of the spares anywhere as every year their car gets obsolete
Old 20th December 2006, 14:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Hi

All you resourcefull guys, dont you have any inside information as to when this new beast is due to arrive now that the Tata's have had a debut of the Safari 2.2 I am sure this one will be out soon too. Also any idea on the Scorpio Pick up when will it debut in India, Tata TL Sprint surely looks good, I am sure that Mahindra is planning to counter these Tata moves.

Ciao
The Scorpio pickup is not a patch on the new Tata one in terms of its looks.

The Tata is simply stunning.
Old 20th December 2006, 23:07   #51
BHPian

over 140 KPH

Guys,

I drive my 2004 Scorpio over 140 KMPH as I mostly goto ludhiana at night(I am talking about summers). Once you are used to driving and controlling the Scorpio you will have no issues, believe me.. I have driven it for more than 50K.

Regards,
Preet
Old 26th March 2007, 19:19   #52
HSV
BHPian

I realise this is an old thread, and my apologies for renewing it.

However I strongly feel that it would be worthwhile if someone could throw some fresh light on the soon to be launched new scorpio. Lot of us have been reading since late last year that the new 2.2 Ltr is round the corner and should be launched mid this year. However tried various searches and still no news on its whereabouts.

regards,
Old 29th March 2007, 17:05   #53
shashi76

Aluminium engine with Diesel cycle? are u guys joking?

Hi All,

Aluminium with its Melting point (crystalline melting point) of 660C is far below in performance compared to the Temperatures coming in a diesel combustion cycle.

Somebody here is not sure about it. Definitely I am sure that aluminium is a good bet for Petrol/otto cycle rather than Diesel.

Forget about the 1000C, it should be having a material thats atleast 1200C MP.

Old 31st March 2007, 11:24   #54
HSV
BHPian

Mahindra launches Scorpio in Morocco.

Source: Moneycontrol.com
Moneycontrol India :: News :: Mahindra launches Scorpio in Morocco :: :: Press- Market :: Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd,Scorpio SUV ,GBH Group ,P. N. Shah,Guillaume Belan,IDAM,MediAuto

Unfortunately the article remains silent on whether its the same 2.6 crde or the new 2.2 crde (Eagle) variant. I guess they are deliberately keeping mum on this aspect in India, in order to not affect the sales of the existing variants. Dunno.

regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks