Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 01:29   #136
Senior - BHPian

Renault has got it bang on! Even if the Kwid competes against the likes of wagon R and I10 etc, it's a great alternative to these tall boy designs. I only hope Renault doesn't position it as a " cheap " entry level car. Rather they should be very aggressive in their campaign and target the younger audience.
Old 23rd May 2015, 01:39   #137
BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Am I seeing the Datsun Go in a shortened, crossover-esque form?
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:24   #138
BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Way to go Renault!
This car looks super cool , rugged and funky all at the same time. A 7" touch screen navigation unit in an A segment car!! Was planning to book the GenX Nano XT as a beater car. But planning to wait now for the Kwid. I really hope that it drives the way it looks.
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:51   #139
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kwid looks nice in the pictures, hope it's as good in reality
Spoke to one of the Renault dealers in Bangalore yesterday. The sales manager mentioned that it will take at least a month before more details like pricing, etc emerge and they will also possibly get a test drive car.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd May 2015 at 09:55.
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:23   #140
BHPian

How can this car be so cheap ! The equipment levels are shocking (in a good way). What do you think the inclusion of basic steering wheel controls, better locking mechanism and rear power windows would have done to the price ? Do you think the reason for their exclusion was cost cutting or to ensure differentiation ?

I wish we could have access to fully loaded small cars in this country. I remember the first time I saw a Smart in Europe. Cars like that totally squash the "small" car stigma we have.
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:37   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
Hell, I even though it was a competitor to Swift & likes only to be disappointed to note it was an entry level.

This shud have actually been launched in the B+ segment with a better engine and slightly more features...there wud hav been a beeline!

Opportunity missed on placing it in the 5-6 lacs bracket???
+1 to this. You have put this very aptly. This had a better chance to succeed in B and B+ segment. Imagine a fully loaded crossover in 5 to 6 lac segment. Taking swift and grand i10 head on.

I need to upgrade my Alto and Kwid would have been an excellent choice only if it was in one segment higher.
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:44   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Am I seeing the Datsun Go in a shortened, crossover-esque form?
I dont think so sir. Datsun Go is a redesigned Nissan Micra - a car designed by Nissan. Kwid is a car build on a totally new platform developed by Renault-Nissan alliance and the car itself was designed by Renault and not Nissan. Both are totally different cars right from platform to design to engine to interior design to everything. There MIGHT be some parts sharing between the cars, but both are TOTALLY different cars.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 13:43   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Attachment 1373395

Well, I believe a lot of people would be guessing what this plastic insert is designed for? Well, it was initially designed for the Rotary automatic gear shifter. How cool would that be to have on a car in this segment
Thanks. In fact, I did type out a few times the question as to the intent for the out-of-place profile and then thought patience would pay better, and it did

Would have been cool to have a rotary auto-shift. Also good to see that the stalks are on the "right" side..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
The design, especially the front looks fantastic!!

Hell, I even though it was a competitor to Swift & likes only to be disappointed to note it was an entry level...

This cud have easily competed with cars even a class or two above based on teh looks alone.

First time car buyers dont really give too much importance on design/power/features as much as the combo of fuel efficiency/maintenance/service network.

This shud have actually been launched in the B+ segment with a better engine and slightly more features...there wud hav been a beeline!

Opportunity missed on placing it in the 5-6 lacs bracket???
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
+1 to this. You have put this very aptly. This had a better chance to succeed in B and B+ segment. Imagine a fully loaded crossover in 5 to 6 lac segment. Taking swift and grand i10 head on.

I need to upgrade my Alto and Kwid would have been an excellent choice only if it was in one segment higher.
You guys are k(w)idding, right?

Ask any first-time car buyer who opts for the like of Alto/Eon etc, its not the lack of the buyer's aesthetic sense but the lack of a car looks better that makes them go for it. Provide such a car that appeals to the eye/ senses at the same value proposition, why wouldn't majority go for it?

Do note that the segment that's being targeted doesn't boast of safety features beyond a good crumple zone. At least Renault seems to be offering Airbag a an option. ABS, anyways, would be enforced soon (if one believes all the rumours about proposed Govt mandates..).

If Renault is able to couple the car with a superlative service experience that's not costlier than Maruti or Hyundai, then they have a winner in their hands.

And if it does, then imagine the domino effect on others in the same price bracket. They will be forced to dance to the tune and offer better equipments packaged better at the same price... which is good for us, the customers.

Also the so called A, B ... segments are nothing but pure marketing gimmicks. Its more of a perception which appeals to our egos, and the sales guys take advantage of it.

So, I for one, do believe that this is a good move by Renault.
Old 23rd May 2015, 13:57   #144
Senior - BHPian

Solid effort from the Renault design team. The front end looks characterful, like most Renault small cars in Europe. The mini SUVish stance will find favour with buyers at that price range, if Renault manage to get the message across to its target market.
Old 23rd May 2015, 15:42   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Its such a disappointment

Its a pretty "ordinary" design i believe, which may look good now, but will look like just as another car in a few months, there's nothing revolutionary about this design like we had seen in the concept.
Oh! Come on sir. I can never accept that this is an "ordinary" design. In my opinion Renault has done its homework properly in the design department for Kwid. The bulges and the curves on the car are contemporary enough to make it have a butch look (like what Ford did to Ecosport to give it the false look of a SUV). For first time car buyers I think KWID is going to remain a great choice and won't you agree that people would consider such a good looking car against the awkward tin can Alto's?
Amarkarthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 16:21   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarkarthi View Post
Oh! Come on sir. I can never accept that this is an "ordinary" design. In my opinion Renault has done its homework properly in the design department for Kwid. The bulges and the curves on the car are contemporary enough to make it have a butch look (like what Ford did to Ecosport to give it the false look of a SUV). For first time car buyers I think KWID is going to remain a great choice and won't you agree that people would consider such a good looking car against the awkward tin can Alto's?
Sir,

I have given the explanation of my point of view here;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3711131

Also IMO if Nissan can develop something revolutionary like a JUKE in 2011, then this is pretty ordinary IMO be it at this price point too.

BTW, nothing against the Kwid, lets hope it does better than expected
Old 23rd May 2015, 16:37   #147
BHPian

One more sold on Kwid design. I am looking for a small car and may be this will be the one coming in as replacement (since I am in no hurry). +1 for the baby duster design. I am sure a lot of them who are thinking of Nano GenX will go into watch-n-wait mode for this car, even if AMT is their key requirement. Renault can pull a scoop here if they can surprise everyone with a AMT variant by borrowing the same tech from MM.

I too agree that the design aspect is bang on and new small car buyers will now look at this as an option before jumping into the Maruti bandwagon. Apart from the looks, FE & serviceability will be the key deciding factors for its sale.
Old 24th May 2015, 01:44   #148
BHPian

Looks wise, no comparison with the competetion - Alto/Spark/Celerio. Kwid looks much better, is spacious and I feel better (heavier) built also. That baby-SUV kind of look might do the trick in India. This can work!
Old 24th May 2015, 07:46   #149
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

KWID clicks a lot of boxes and should do well if launched properly. Looks great and appears to be more solid. Launch pricing will be very crucial and Renault should be prepared for aggressive pricing. This product should easily meet the new safety standards, though it is a still a couple a year away.

This segment is bound to develop positively, post the launch of KWID. Maruti in any case will have to start re-looking their cheaper than competition product lines, as the new safety norms kick in.

Cheers

KPS
Old 24th May 2015, 09:03   #150
BHPian

The Kwid looks good with its stance. The engine should have been a bit higher power like the K-10 version of Alto. Top price looks attractive for the segment assuming the width is slightly more than the Alto/Eon types.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks