Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2016 at 10:04.
Old 23rd August 2016, 07:26   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2016 Audi A4 - 1.4L Engined Disappointment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Why on earth would Audi decide to launch it with a puny engine compared to Skoda Octavia with 1.8L 180 BHP? It also fares horribly with Merc / BMW / Volvo who bring in much more powerful engines.

Also there is a thread on Q3 imported with the same 1.4L engine
IMO, it is indeed a good move by Audi. Petrol is gaining back in the market, and the 1.4L 150bhp performs reasonably well. For the chauffer-driven lot who want a petrol car, this makes lot of sense.
I hope (1) Audi doesn’t limit this to the base trim, and (2) they give multiple options in petrol, say 1.8/2.0L TFSI along with the 1.4L.
Old 23rd August 2016, 07:55   #48
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2016 Audi A4 - 1.4L Engined Disappointment?

If they price it right and there is good differentiation with the bigger 2.0TDI then it's actually not a bad move.

Customers who have lower running and don't need diesel but still don't want the higher running costs of a big petrol engine will be quite pleased with a 1.4L engine. If they are chauffeur driven most of the times or brand value is important to them plus the luxury feel vs outright performance, they will not be disappointed with this engine.

Ofcourse it all boils down to the price. BMW launched the 320i but the price was same as diesel. Though the cars are heavily discounted they were probably got in as a stop gap.

It will be interesting to see how well this 1.4L TSI is accepted by the indian buyer.
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:10   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Next-generation Audi A4 caught testing in India

Premium cars have got to offer a premium experience in every way, including the engine. This is especially the case for the Audi A4 as the car has a LOT in common with its cheaper siblings. Car to car, there's not much of a difference from the Octavia (same MQB platform too).

Which is why I hate the decision of bringing in the 1.4L. It's simply not something I agree with. A cheaper Skoda Octavia offers a superior engine with more power. Not to forget, the 1.4L turbo-petrol also suffers from turbo lag.

With the new A4, the 2.0 diesel will be the engine of choice.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:22   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Premium cars have got to offer a premium experience in every way, including the engine. This is especially the case for the Audi A4 as the car has a LOT in common with its cheaper siblings. Car to car, there's not much of a difference from the Octavia (same MQB platform too).

Which is why I hate the decision of bringing in the 1.4L. It's simply not something I agree with. A cheaper Skoda Octavia offers a superior engine with more power. Not to forget, the 1.4L turbo-petrol also suffers from turbo lag.

I completely agree. There are a lot of customers who want to buy a petrol car with a nice powerful engine. The manufacturers have to give their petrol buying customers the choice of good engines. They have to change this mindset of only offering very basic/entry level petrol engines. So far, for the last many years the petrol engine enthusiast has been left disappointed by the lack of good petrol options. Whereas the diesel engines have been reasonable powerful the petrol engined counterparts have been at best just about adequate.
Strella is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Next-generation Audi A4 caught testing in India

Quote:

I think the new A4 is based on the MLB platform, not the MQB: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volk...p_MLB_platform

However, reading through the details, the two platforms seem to have a lot in common. Or is it just that Audi uses different nomenclature for the same platform?

Cheers
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

The 1.4TFSI review is up on NDTV auto, although it reads like a marketing piece, all praise for the smaller petrol which can match hatchbacks for economy . Looks like the return on advertising is great for Audi. Normal usage - a full load of passengers and AC at full blast, stressing a tiny engine, I expect that figure to be around 7 instead of the claimed 17kmpl. This is hardly premium and I don't see why someone would want to buy a car with terrible efficiency, a tiny engine which is susceptible to fuel quality and risk getting humbled by a Jetta that costs only half as much. Any diesel at this price point will run rings around this entry level engine, luckily it's not a 3 cylinder(yet).
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:41   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Premium cars have got to offer a premium experience in every way, including the engine.
Eeks, the A3 TFSI with the 1.8 Tiptronic will run rings around this variant.
If I remember correctly the current A3 has a 0-100 of 7.3 seconds compared to this A4's 8.5 seconds! These power-weight ratios compare to a Polo TSI and a Figo/Aspire and are totally inappropriate for a 40 lakh Audi :-)

Even the Octavia 1.4TSI (manual) might be faster with its 138 bhp version of this same engine due to lesser weight!
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:46   #54
BHPian

Dealer in Mumbai confirmed India launch will be on 9th Sept and also indicated Petrol price is substantially low.
vishaltanksale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 10:29   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

So much for an anemic engine and cramped rear seat!!!
Wait...Front wheel drive Audi? Really
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 11:16   #56
BHPian

So far, we Indians were fleeced by unreasonable prices of German marques (so called). Now to rub some salt to the wounds, Audi is bringing in A4 with an engine which is best suited for performance hatchbacks. With this, there would hardly be anything premium in premium cars.

Recently a friend bought a Q3, with on road price of 52.xx lakhs in Bangalore, I was like
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 00:46   #57
BHPian

They are running hoardings and full page ads in TOI and ET

Imagine a 'SPORTS' Luxury sedan running two full page ad with no mention of engine. No mention in big hoardings as well. The TV ad looks absolutely stupid with showing acceleration like a rocket with a 1.4L engine

Soon we'll have Octavia, Superb, A3, Q3 also with this engine. I hope they don't launch R8 with this engine.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:15   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Audi A4 Diesel Spied Testing here speculated to launch in Q1 2017.

Scoop! Next-generation Audi A4 caught testing in India-12.jpg
Scoop! Next-generation Audi A4 caught testing in India-13.jpg
Scoop! Next-generation Audi A4 caught testing in India-11.jpg

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd October 2016 at 22:19.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 11:23   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Audi A4 Diesel Spied Testing here speculated to launch in Q1 2017.

Attachment 1569867
Attachment 1569868
Attachment 1569869

Source
Disappointing this only a "35 TDI" - Does this mean this car will get the lower state of tune of the 2.0 TDI engine? Internationally, the latest version of the 2.0 TDI is available for A4 in two states of tune - 150 PS and 190 PS. The strategy may be to offer the lower power level of tune in the A4 and reserve the higher tune for the A6. Also, it would then make the petrol and the diesel versions of the A4 have similar power and acceleration ratings. This all sounds fine and logical within the Audi family but they would get decimated by the competition such as the BMW 3 series and the new Jaguar XE when it comes with the Ingenium engine.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 11:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

If Audi launches the A4 Diesel in the 150 Bhp guise, they better Price it at par with New Skoda Superb or at a premium of 100k. Chances are less as the Petrol is already expensive, Diesel will be even more I guess.

One can get a more Quicker & Spacious Octavia at half the price.
And More Spacious, Luxurious & Elegantly Styled Superb at a cheaper price.

One thing is for sure, Anyone who owns these Sedans from Skoda/VW won't even bother to look at A4 when he is looking for upgrade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks