Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2020, 10:10   #1831
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Altroz 1.2 TD report

Safety

The best thing about the Altroz is the 5 star GNCAP rating, along with a stable structure. Given the number of road accidents in our country, it's a very good thing to be in a safe car. Kudos to TATA for providing a 5 star rated car in this price range .
What is worth noting regarding safety with Altroz and that people ignore or do not realize is that the GNCAP testing was done on BASE VARIANT, NOT the top end variant.

https://www.livemint.com/auto-news/t...148358331.html

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ests-24906.htm
pogo0120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 10:49   #1832
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
What is worth noting regarding safety with Altroz and that people ignore or do not realize is that the GNCAP testing was done on BASE VARIANT, NOT the top end variant.
How can they be claiming that the base variant was taken when all the pictures show the crash test with the top end variant? The car clearly has alloy wheels and in a red car being crashed, can clearly see the island infotainment screen.

I'm attaching a link for the same.
http://www.globalncap.org/tatas-seco...nt-protection/

On the other hand, with the safety features being standardised across all variants, I don't think it should matter which one is to be taken.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 11:53   #1833
BHPian

Went yesterday to TM looking for BS4 deals on diesel Tiago, Nexon with check book in hand. Much to my dismay, the entire lot has been sold out. The SA reasoned me out of saving a bit with BS4 cars and instead look at better machines with good resale value.

Thus have booked Altroz diesel even without a test drive. He has promised quick refund if I didn't like the diesel . Hope the car doesn't disappoint.
GreenmachinE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 12:50   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
How can they be claiming that the base variant was taken when all the pictures show the crash test with the top end variant? The car clearly has alloy wheels and in a red car being crashed, can clearly see the island infotainment screen.

I'm attaching a link for the same.
http://www.globalncap.org/tatas-seco...nt-protection/

On the other hand, with the safety features being standardised across all variants, I don't think it should matter which one is to be taken.
Interesting observation! This brings me to another issue here. Is Tata honest about stating base variant passing crash test with 5 star rating or is it media reporting error. Livemint is a decent news agency so are many other agencies quoting base variant as the test dummy used in crash testing.

Did some research here.

If wheels are to be believed based on red car picture here, then the variant is top or top optional (xz or xz (o))

If Infotainment LCD panel size to be believed, then XT, XZ,XZ (O) if it is 17.78 cms LCD.

Finally looked at Tata press release and there it is clearly mentioned 5 star rating across all variants.

Confusion is done by media agencies, which mention base variant was used in GNCAP testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-wheels-size.png  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-infotainment.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tata-motors.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tata_Altroz_Main_Brochure_Digital.pdf (9.61 MB, 282 views)
Old 7th March 2020, 13:17   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
Interesting observation! This brings me to another issue here. Is Tata honest about stating base variant passing crash test with 5 star rating or is it media reporting error.
As usual it is the media which is twisting the facts to create some sensation. As far as I know, GNCAP provides its rating for the base variant or the variant which is sold the most (other members can correct me if I am wrong). Through they might have tested the top variant, I am certain that an organisation like GNCAP will have the means to verify that even the base variant is identical structurally so that they can award the correct rating.

I noticed that even ESP is standard in Nexon 2020 for all variants. GNCAP is known to keep its assessment criteria evolving as more cars start meeting their existing test parameters. Does this mean they might soon announce that ESP is mandatory for 5* ratings and Tata is aware of it and complied? Just a wild speculation and I could be wrong.
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 13:17   #1836
BHPian

I remember reading somewhere(most probably on Nexon NCAP results thread) on this forum that if safety features are common across all the variants, then the variant with maximum weight (99.9% of the times top most variant) will be crash tested else the base variant. Hence the confusion may be(?).
Neeraj1903 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 22:35   #1837
BHPian

Tata needs to do a really good job of shedding the image previously associated with its brand. I've been trying to convince people in my circle to take a look at the new offerings by Tata, and those who do take a look at them always come out impressed. But the apprehension of owning a Tata does not go away.

My father, who is big on safety, still feels uneasy swapping his Baleno for a Tata car. He likes everything about the new cars, just except the brand name.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 16:26   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Tata Altroz Turbo Petrol spied

Thanks to BHPian Bordeaux for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-turbo1.jpg

A test mule of the Tata Altroz was spotted on NH 65, near Solapur, Maharashtra. It is believed that the car could be powered by the new turbo petrol engine that the Altroz is expected to get. Bordeaux reports that he had to work his Honda City to keep up with the Altroz.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-turbo3.jpg

The Altroz is expected to get a BS6-compliant 1.2-litre engine fitted with a variable geometry turbocharger. The engine is rumoured to produce around 100 BHP and 140 Nm of torque. It could be paired with either a 5-speed manual or a dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-turbo2.jpg

At present, the Altroz is offered with a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder, naturally aspirated petrol engine that produces 85 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 113 Nm @ 3,300 rpm. A 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged diesel unit that puts out 89 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 200 Nm @ 1,250-3,000 rpm is also offered. Both engines come paired with a 5-speed manual transmission.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2020 at 14:01.
TusharK is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 21:40   #1839
BHPian

Just wondering. Was there an exhaust? Couldn’t make out from the pics. What is the possibility that this could be Altroz EV?
vshankarhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 22:58   #1840
BHPian

Yes, there was, as seen in this picture. Apologies for killing the mood!

Name:  Screenshot20200311225430McPRQhuR.png
Views: 13658
Size:  162.4 KB
bordeaux is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 23:51   #1841
BHPian

That’s amazing news, I was cribbing about the same on Altroz Sedan thread and here’s the news with a turbo engine

It seems TML takes T-BHP very seriously

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4766780 (Tata Motors begins work on Altroz-based sedan)
Old 13th March 2020, 13:49   #1842
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Altroz Automatic To Get Electric Parking Brake .

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 21:30   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The engine is rumoured to produce around 100 BHP and 140 Nm of torque.
Just 140 Nm of torque? The 1.2 TSi produced 175 Nm, the current XUV 300's 1.2 produces 200 Nm and the newer mStallion will produce even more.
Even the 1.0 turbo DI petrol engines from Hyundai/Ford make much more torque than this.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 00:52   #1844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Just 140 Nm of torque? The 1.2 TSi produced 175 Nm, the current XUV 300's 1.2 produces 200 Nm and the newer mStallion will produce even more.
Even the 1.0 turbo DI petrol engines from Hyundai/Ford make much more torque than this.
Peak torque has been artificially capped due to limitations of the 5 speed Tiago gearbox being used. The engine is capable of a lot more. This very same 1.2 turbo petrol is rated at 170Nm in the Nexon with the 6 speed MT as that transmission can support the higher torque. The turbo petrol Nexon is one sprightly car, quite peppy, despite its heavy weight.

It is also possible that they offer the turbo petrol only with the rumoured DSG, and position it in a Polo GT kind of way. That gearbox is expected to be rated for up to 200Nm, and will allow exploiting the full potential of this engine.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 14th March 2020 at 00:58.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 18:54   #1845
AYP
Senior - BHPian

A silver Altroz just passed by me. Man does it look smashing! Much better than the i20. The only other time, I was compelled to post right after spotting a new launch was when I spotted the Harrier in my rear view mirror.
AYP is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks