Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2020, 19:50   #1786
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

According to a report on Carwale, below is the image of the Altroz in turbo petrol guise.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tataaltrozturbopetrolfrontthreequartersspyd021.jpg

The details on sticker saying 'VGT' is the reason behind this speculation. The unit could be the same one powering Nexon in the current avatar.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tataaltrozturbopetrolprototypespecsspyshot98dc.jpg

This could bring in the much needed power for the petrol motor which has been claimed to be under-powered by all reviewers alike. What will happen to the JTP variant of Altroz then or will it even happen?

Regards,
Debrup

Source: Carwale
rupdeb is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 21:28   #1787
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
....What will happen to the JTP variant of Altroz then or will it even happen?....
The most reasonable conclusion to draw, from what's known so far - which isn't much given Tata hasn't said anything officially about the JTSV venture's future, yet - is the turbo petrol will potentially become another variant under the Tata brand itself unlike the Tiago/Tigor JTP that have JTSV listed as manufacturer on their VIN plates.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th February 2020 at 21:30.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 21:54   #1788
BHPian

Can someone really confirm this news? After having to withdraw my bookings for Brezza AT, I'm craving to book a well loaded AT car within 10 lac budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
There is a Tata Motors employee who works for the design team in our building. I asked him: "When will the Altroz automatic be available?" He said 2-3 months, but he said he does not know the details of the gear box because he works for a different team.

Pradeep
One thing is for sure, during the review the photographer's are going to have a lot fun to capture this gorgeous car in their lens. I think a small section of just the car pics should be as part of the review! Desktop wallpaper worthy pics!

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please use edit or multi-quote buttons instead of typing one reply after another in the same thread.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th February 2020 at 08:39. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 25th February 2020, 22:37   #1789
BHPian

Re: Can Team-BHP please borrow your Tata Altroz? EDIT: 16 cars offered to us (page 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
There is a Tata Motors employee who works for the design team in our building. I asked him: "When will the Altroz automatic be available?" He said 2-3 months, but he said he does not know the details of the gear box because he works for a different team.

Pradeep
If that's the case then you won't be able to rely on that info. If he works for another team then how would he know anything about the availability of auto?
Old 25th February 2020, 22:58   #1790
BHPian

Re: Can Team-BHP please borrow your Tata Altroz? EDIT: 16 cars offered to us (page 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Can someone really confirm this news? After having to withdraw my bookings for Brezza AT, I'm craving to book a well loaded AT car within 10 lac budget.
Within 10L there are very few options for well loaded AT (considering you have crossed out AMT).
You can check out the Baleno/Glanza CVT, Amaze CVT.
Old 26th February 2020, 00:00   #1791
BHPian

This is lovely news. The masses get a fuel efficient engine - which no manufacturer can skip out given the market leader's USP being its fuel efficient cars, and the enthusiasts can opt for a more exciting option with some compromise on the FE. This makes Tata Altroz a complete package - which is not something I've felt about any car in recent times (except for maybe Jazz? which looks all but dead now). It's safe, secure, feature packed, good ride and handling and now, exciting engine options! Tata has completely nailed it. Oh, and I forgot, those dashing looks!

Given the upcoming Hyundai i20, I'm hoping the competition will take things to a new level and force even MSIL to get out of their innovation slumber. Exciting times ahead in this segment.
RoadMonkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 00:26   #1792
BHPian

I think that the turbo charged Altroz will be in the 108 HP tune i.e. pre-facelift Nexon tune.
This seems to be the reason to bump the power of Nexon by 10 hp so as to differentiate between the premium hatchback and csuv.
Neeraj1903 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 14:34   #1793
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that's something Tata seems to be planning well. Everyone thought the new i20 will kill Altroz months after launch. What better way than stealing the thunder back from the new i20 than launching a punchy turbo charged petrol with more than a 100 horses! Nice ploy indeed.

Wow days have changed so much. Feels just recent past that Hyundai's (ugliest model back then) Verna CRDi was being advertized as a powerful car with 100 horses under the bonnet. Here we are - a sub4m hatchback for the masses will have more than that soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
I think that the turbo charged Altroz will be in the 108 HP tune i.e. pre-facelift Nexon tune.
This seems to be the reason to bump the power of Nexon by 10 hp so as to differentiate between the premium hatchback and csuv.
Indeed this makes sense! And that would also explain a silent update a bit.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 15:36   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post

The details on sticker saying 'VGT' is the reason behind this speculation. The unit could be the same one powering Nexon in the current avatar.

That does not look like VGT. It is NGTC which I'm guessing is 'New Generation Turbo Charger/d".

VGT on a gasoline engine is not easy and has only recently been launched by VW - Link.

It'll be a while till this technology reaches our shores.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 17:53   #1795
Senior - BHPian

So are they introducing a new blue colour with this Turbo version? That blue looks atleast from inbetween the camo stickering to be pretty similar to the "M-Blue" from BMW.
Old 26th February 2020, 18:02   #1796
BHPian

I asked him specifically whether it is a DCT from Punch Powerglide? He was not able to answer that question specifically or chose not to answer deliberately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
If that's the case then you won't be able to rely on that info. If he works for another team then how would he know anything about the availability of auto?

Last edited by pradkumar : 26th February 2020 at 18:05.
Old 28th February 2020, 07:00   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

VGT on a gasoline engine is not easy and has only recently been launched by VW - Link.

It'll be a while till this technology reaches our shores.
It is variable turbine geometry (VTG) and not VGT.
Old 28th February 2020, 08:55   #1798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
They are the same things, albeit with differing acronyms. Just like AMT/AGS or T-GDI/TSI or Crdi/crde. It's just different manufacturers using different names for the same tech for unique product placement.
niteshbids is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 14:51   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
They are the same things.

Exactly. VGT, VTG, VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbine) all refer to the same technology. In Gasoline Turbo engines, the temperatures are much higher than in diesel and hence it's not as simple.
Old 29th February 2020, 03:20   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Exactly. VGT, VTG, VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbine) all refer to the same technology. In Gasoline Turbo engines, the temperatures are much higher than in diesel and hence it's not as simple.
Here is another bit of interesting ICE technology called Variable Compression Engine where compression ratio is altered itself under varying load conditions:

shaheenazk is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks