Old 17th October 2017, 11:28   #106

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, codenamed "X451"

I own a Zest for the past almost 3 years having clocked almost 60k. I am very happy with Zest, and I also see TATA has taken the feedback on Zest and Incorporated a lot of those in Tiago.

I would presume this will have certain other improvements over Tiago too considering it a premium hatch.

Going by Zest and Tiago, this should be a very good buy.

Note: I previously owned a Maruti Suzuki Zen and clocked 95k before selling it. And my ownership experience with TATA has been better than Maruti's. And also, in my personal opinion, TATA cars age better than Maruti's. (Sorry I do not have any experience with Hyundai/VW/Renault/Skoda), hence mostly comparing with Maruti.
vasanthn21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 11:34   #107

As per my friend, this car is being designed keeping in mind the European market where it will be exported. So it should be meeting all the safety norms as well.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 14:41   #108
OSH

CarToq reader, Vipin Vathoopan renders the Tata X451 premuim hatchback. To me, it looks like he has mixed and matched all the design elements of the current Tata offerings : Hexa's grill, Nexon's ceramic inserts, Bolt's headlamp(?) and Tiago's taillight(?). Anyways it does look good.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tatax451render.jpg
The X451 hatchback is likely to be shown as a concept at the 2018 Indian Auto Expo. Meanwhile, here’s a speculative render that shows how it’ll possibly look like, when launched in the Indian market as a production model.

Last edited by OSH : 18th November 2017 at 14:48.
OSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 11:04   #109

The X451 hatch shall be offered with a de-tuned version of the Nexon's 1.5L turbocharged diesel engine, which will produce ~90PS of power & ~200Nm of torque (between 1500RPM-2750RPM).
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 01:41   #110

Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The X451 hatch shall be offered with a de-tuned version of the Nexon's 1.5L turbocharged diesel engine, which will produce ~90PS of power & ~200Nm of torque (between 1500RPM-2750RPM).
Phew. Thanks it is the Nexon's 1.5l engine.

Yeah, disappointed that it is detuned, but atleast it's a detuned 1.5l, which gives potential...Ahem...Ahem...

Couldn't understand when rumours came that Tata was going to put the 1.05l 3 pot in the new hatchback. VGT or not... That would have been a bummer.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 04:36   #111

This is good news RavenAvi ji . Now will the same de-tuned engine be provided Tigor as well? Tigor screams for a more powerful engine given the segment it is competing. I am sure it is not going to result in a significant price rise as it is still <1500 CC.

If Tigor gets this update, I think it will be the much needed upgrade for Tigor thereby increase in sales. It will be a no brainer for me. I am even willing to overlook the ASS incompetency in my city for this.

Hopefully Tata gives this option. Any of your birdies chirping on this front?
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 15:15   #112

Originally Posted by OSH View Post
CarToq reader, Vipin Vathoopan renders the Tata X451 premuim hatchback. To me, it looks like he has mixed and matched all the design elements of the current Tata offerings : Hexa's grill, Nexon's ceramic inserts, Bolt's headlamp(?) and Tiago's taillight(?). Anyways it does look good.
Love the stance. Am confident that if this design is released Tata for sure will eat up a major share of Hyundai and Maruti.

Tata should now focus more on marketing and introduce plans to change the traditional mindset of people.
Also I felt many Tata showrooms need a makeover and enhance the feel good environment at dealership. I agree the sales team I dealt with till now are doing a very good job but the infrastructure needs tune up to new product line up. Such initiatives may convert a casual visitor to the dealership to a prospective customer for Tata.

-UB
Old 11th January 2018, 15:54   #113

But why Detune? FE could be only valid reasoning, but I would choose power over FE anyday. Plus TATA is a bit of an expert in Power modes with (ECO-Normal-Sport) knob to indirectly change the tuning. It is missing a trick with the detuning it true.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 15:57   #114

Originally Posted by ACM View Post
But why Detune? FE could be only valid reasoning, but I would choose power over FE anyday. .. It is missing a trick with the detuning it true.
Also as a means to keep the Nexon at a higher level. Even 200Nm is good for the hatchback. And like you have said, FE for the hatchback user.

Hope the enthusiasts can up-tune their hatchbacks to get into Nexon territory.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 15:59   #115

Also as a means to keep the Nexon at a higher level. Even 200Nm is good for the hatchback. And like you have said, FE for the hatchback user.

Hope the enthusiasts can up-tune their hatchbacks to get into Nexon territory.
Nexon is a different type of vehicle and competes in the EcoSport and Breeza space.

To compete in the Baleno space more power would actually help. FE can be managed by a Tune position knob instead.
Old 11th January 2018, 16:50   #116

To say that this looks stunning would be an understatement. What a transformation the organization has been through. Less than 5 years ago, people used to joke about the company. Now, everyone who sees the Hexa at home first thinks it is a Toyota, and expresses surprise upon seeing the brand name. This is what Indian manufacturing should be about- selling safe, cost effective world class products at a good price. Even Hyundai designs look somewhat dated if we compare them to the new offerings from Tata. Kudos to the design team.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 16:59   #117

The rendering and the overall shape looks like Renault Megane 2017 leaving the front end. I would love something like this on Indian roads.

Tata's old platform were heavy, where as the new Tata's AMP platform should shed weight. Its not all about outright power, power to weight ratio also and the way engine is tuned also matters.

Baleno is very very light, it uses Fiat's 1.3 which produces 75ps with 190 nm torque. On the other hand Hyundai has much better engine which Tata will have to match.

X451 Hatch's USP should be space,ride quality, 6 speed manual, a brilliant Autobox and great infotainment system. Of course price too.

Last edited by SDP : 11th January 2018 at 18:00. Reason: typo
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 20:27   #118

I doubt if the hatch will look as angular as that. Tata seems to be stuck with the Indica silhouette - heck, you can notice it in even in the Nexon from some angles. The only exception is the Tiago, which seems to have broken free of that mould somehow
My hope is that they make a ciaz/city type car, with a suspension setup/ride quality (ride quality is quickly becoming one of the USP's of Tata cars) along the lines of the Hexa and then launch the hatch afterwards ( as Maruti is doing with the Dzire/Swift) to remove any perception of it being a hatch with a boot tagged on.

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th January 2018 at 20:31.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 15:26   #119

CarToq reader, Vipin Vathoopan renders the Tata X451 premuim hatchback.
I think I may be a minority here, but what an ugly design. I hope the real car do not resemble this rendering at all. Somehow, I do not like the proportions of this car and it seems to be a mix and match of recent Tata offerings. I am sure Tata design team will come up with a much better design.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 11:30   #120

Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I think I may be a minority here, but what an ugly design. I hope the real car do not resemble this rendering at all. Somehow, I do not like the proportions of this car and it seems to be a mix and match of recent Tata offerings. I am sure Tata design team will come up with a much better design.

--Anoop
+1

Had been wanting to say that for a long time now. Just doesn't gel with the new design theme of theirs. A newbie photos hop job at the very best.