Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 08:27   #61
BHPian

re: Maruti Ciaz SHVS with Integrated Starter Generator & idling start / stop system. EDIT: Now Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
I don't buy that logic, I thought the Ciaz D was already quite efficient, so they are making it more efficient ? Any updates on what kind of differences in FE we can see ? My relative has a Micro Hybrid Scorpio, he has experienced hardly .5 kmpl change in the mileage that too he isnt sure if its because of the Micro hybrid. Ideally, they should have made the petrol more economical, many people buy petrol since their running might be low, and petrols are simpler and cheaper to maintain. They could have done with some extra mileage

Looks like a semi-gimmick since the Ciaz isn't able to hold its ground against the City or the Verna. But appreciate Maruti coming up with something substantial instead of a sticker job as they usually do.
Both the cars have ARAI FE ratings of 26 kpl (Ciaz edging past the City by 0.21). But with mild hybrid, I feel Ciaz can touch the magic number of 30 kpl. And Maruti knows very well how to sell this car against City with those sort of numbers.

Scorpio with micro hybrid is another story. We can't really relate it here.

I do agree with you on petrol though. This tech should be adopted on the petrol engine too. But the decision makers in Maruti Suzuki's board room don't think so.
RoadSurfer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 13:26   #62
BHPian

re: Maruti Ciaz SHVS with Integrated Starter Generator & idling start / stop system. EDIT: Now Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Ideally, they should have made the petrol more economical, many people buy petrol since their running might be low, and petrols are simpler and cheaper to maintain. They could have done with some extra mileage
Love this idea - It would be great to have a more efficient petrol. I'm not sure of the economics of this system but if Maruti mass produces it, it will bring cost down and I wouldn't mind paying a bit more to have this.
Old 19th August 2015, 18:54   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Verna? Ciaz has been selling more than Verna MOM since its launch.
Agree, my bad, dint really check the figures for Verna. But the gap sure has closed in from about 3000 units early this year to about 600 odd in July. I wonder where are the sedan buyers are heading to ? even City has dropped from 7K ish to 5K ish. Other Sedans are holding steady on their counts. Are they getting split between the CUVs and the Premium Hatchs ?

But its a LOL moment when you see the Etios sedan doing a steady 2.8K MoM in spite of all the criticism.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 05:41   #64
BHPian

There are some more details about SHVS here. There is also a video explaining how SHVS works.

These are the main takeaways:
  • The ISG provides power assist to the engine
  • It supports regenerative braking
  • The international version used Li-Ion battery in Geneva 2015 show. We are getting just a lead-acid battery here in India
  • I think the main focus of SHVS is giving additional power (and torque ) to the wheels, and the extra FE is just a bonus
  • Think about this - if the ISG of CIAZ can provide extra 10bhp and 40Nm of torque, then suddenly the total combined power is 100bhp with 240Nm of torque. (Also note the added benfits of getting all the torque of ISG at 0 rpm)

Here is a torque curve given at suzuki website for SHVS ( from the video i mentioned above )
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ciaz SHVS with Integrated Starter Generator & idling start / stop system. EDIT: Now launched!-torq_curve.jpeg  

jvk84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 09:05   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Ciaz Hybrid Diesel- SHVS is to be India's most fuel efficient car ! Expected to launch in September.

Expected to be priced aggressively, which may be at a marginal premium, or Rs 25,000 to Rs 40,000 costlier than the current diesel variant.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki, the country's largest car maker, will be launching the Ciaz Hybrid, touted as the most fuel-efficient car in the country at 28 km/litre, thus raising the bar for fuel efficient cars in India.
Quote:
While the technology will be imported, the high import cost will be offset by the incentives given by the government through lower excise duty of 12.5 per cent and subsidy extension of Rs 12,000- Rs 13,000 under electric and hybrid vehicle policy of FAME, which will help the company save over Rs 1 lakh on the ticket price.
Quote:
The mild-hybrid, just like AMT, is an ideal solution for India. It has the potential to be a game changer. Benefits are plenty, fuel efficiency is better, environment is getting better, emission is taken care of you are able to give a differentiated product to challenge
competition
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...t-car/48569210

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st August 2015 at 09:21.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 10:38   #66
Team-BHP Support

Credit where it's due- Maruti sure knows how to package and sell cars in the Indian market. They might have exceeded the performance and mileage figures of the benchmark City by a good margin and should still be priced on par with City. Interesting battle.

Even FIAT engineers would be scratching their head in disbelief seeing the 28kmpl figure from the 1.3 MJD.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st August 2015 at 10:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 11:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Maruti planning to put new technology in all their diesels like Swift, Dzire and Ertiga. This is really very interesting. Surely Maruti is planning to ditch all others from the market with their FE figures. 30+ for Dzire and Swift will be like dream come true. In country like India, where people are concerned more about saving money, this is really great. Also this is not expensive technology which is good to keep initial investments in control. I guess with this technology, again we will see boom for diesel, surely. With current rate of diesel which is less than 50 Rs / liter & avearge like this, i can do 500 Kms highway runs in just 1000 Rs, am i dreaming?

Quote:
"ET has learnt that Ciaz, which will come with a Suzuki Hybrid Vehicle System (SHVS), a mild hybrid system mated with a 1.3 litre diesel engine, is likely to be priced aggressively, which may be at a marginal premium, or Rs 25,000 to Rs 40,000 costlier.

While the technology will be imported, the high import cost will be offset by the incentives given by the government through lower excise duty of 12.5 per cent and subsidy extension of Rs 12,000- Rs 13,000 under electric and hybrid vehicle policy of FAME, which will help the company save over Rs 1 lakh on the ticket price.

The company plans to cross the 30km per litre barrier with the new Swift and Dzire. The same technology will make its way in Ertiga hybrid in October and it may be fitted in all 1.3 litre diesel engine cars of Maruti Suzuki in the future The company has also worked on 1.2 litre petrol hybrid, which will be available with the upcoming Suzuki Baleno, but only in overseas market.

Given the challenge of depleting fuel reserves and emission issue, moving to hybrids is a step in right direction, said Gaurav Vangaal, senior analyst for forecasting at IHS Automotive. But he said "the question remains the same with three A's — Affordability, Awareness and Acceptability".
Read more: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/48564701.cms

Last edited by aniketi : 21st August 2015 at 11:42.
aniketi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 11:49   #68
BHPian

It's good that Maruti is bringing in the tech. But, on the other hand, I would be very happy if the cars would return atleast 50% of the claimed FE in a city like Bangalore. With AC on ( can never drive without AC and windows down because of the pollution),and in B2B traffic, I doubt this is going to help much. But like I said, people will still buy the car because of the advertised FE achieved in an ideal condition. It's just not Maruti, the others do it too. No wonder, we are losing all the driver oriented cars with new releases, with each one trying to outdo the other on FE!
Old 21st August 2015, 12:36   #69
BHPian

I have one concern on reading this news. It says the SHVS will replace the existing Ciaz Diesel. If so, then Ciaz model introduced and bought just a year back has become outdated. Cars are turning in to mobile phones, albeit at 1 million cost

Last edited by AshBabu : 21st August 2015 at 12:38.
Old 21st August 2015, 12:43   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Maruti planning to put new technology in all their diesels like Swift, Dzire and Ertiga. This is really very interesting. Surely Maruti is planning to ditch all others from the market with their FE figures. 30+ for Dzire and Swift will be like dream come true.
With the current Diesel price of Rs 46/- per liter, it is just Rs 1.5 per KM! Almost like a bike!

Maruti is so sure about the success of the Ciaz hybrid. That' the reason they are stopping the regular Diesel, IMO. Or,is there any move to ban Diesel-only vehicles in major cities (that Maruti smelled it early)?

Now, why can't they bring this technology in Petrol models? A claimed figure of 25KMPL for Petrol will be a boost to the nature as well as Petrol lovers.

The AMT, the 320DDiS, all variants of SCross with all-4-disc brakes, base variant of Ciaz with driver airbag, and now the mild hybrid. Maruti is doing many things to silence their critics.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 21st August 2015 at 13:00.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 12:51   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
With the current Diesel price of Rs 46/- per liter, it is just Rs 1.5 per KM! Almost like a bike!

Now, why can't they bring this technology in Petrol models? A claimed figure of 25KMPL for Petrol will be a boost to the nature as well as Petrol lovers.
First priority for Maruti seem to be - top the charts in each segment in terms of fuel efficiency.

Maruti Suzuki's tag line 'Kitna deti hai’ needs to be protected and now with this at least three Maruti cars will stay in the top 5 fuel economy list. ( Ciaz, Swift , Dzire)

Working on Petrol maybe taken up next depending on closing of the the price differential between petrol and diesel.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 14:06   #72
Senior - BHPian

Like the CEAT wording goes, When the going gets tough the tough gets going. During a period were sales are not so good for every one MSIL manages to churn out the old numbers some how. This one is a nice strategy all credits to the team behind this one. They are exploring cheap technologies in all way they could. It was AMT before and now this one.
Old 21st August 2015, 16:57   #73
BHPian

This Ciaz SHVS could be an ideal candidate to be sent to Nexa to give company to S-Cross.

My reasons:
a) SHVS is a new concept in the market, providing an incredible FE for such a large vehicle. They can charge a premium price for the concept, probably about 50K extra from the existing top end Ciaz.
b) Customers for this car might need to be given a little additional awareness about the concept and handling the car, due to its new concept, which can be comfortably done in the setting of Nexa, rather than in the crowded Maruti showrooms.
c) It could be a very good marketing idea for Nexa showrooms - to first advertise heavily the mileage of Ciaz SHVS as USP (rather than spreading the hybrid word first), and draw attention due to this number, then bring them to the Nexa showrooms for that. It will increase Nexa footfall and they might sell a few S-Crosses also due to that!

However, we do not know for sure where the Car would be sold.
Old 21st August 2015, 21:04   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post

However, we do not know for sure where the Car would be sold.
It is confirmed. The car will be sold through the existing MSIL showrooms only. The ciaz SHVS won't make it to NEXA. Have personally seen the brand new stock at MSIL go downs of many dealers. The only change in the interiors is the addition of the auto start stop button near the park assist button. Have seen the base petrol and top of the line diesel.

The base petrol now gets driver airbag but no abs. The base model also benefits with electrically adjustable ORVM which I believe wasn't there previously.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 21:23   #75
BHPian

Sales executive whom I am interacting with had gone for their training had a chance to test drive hybrid. He mentioned that there is no change except for idling start/stop and couldn't find any difference in power. I am not sure if hybrid would add some bhp/torque or just a start/stop. Also need to see how much weight it adds to the car. Any idea anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks