Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2015, 23:39   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti Ciaz SHVS with Integrated Starter Generator & idling start / stop system. EDIT: Now Launched!

I'm getting very curious as to how this system has been implemented. Maruti is claiming brake regeneration, torque assist with the SHVS system.

Honda implemented a very complex system in the Civic hybrid as well as the Insight of a ISG (Integrated starter generator) which they called as IMA (integrated motor assist).

My guess is the CIaz has a simpler version which simply replaces the alternator with an ISG system similar to this from Denso.

How it works in real life needs to be studies closely.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 00:30   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Ciaz SHVS with Integrated Starter Generator & idling start / stop system. EDIT: Now Launched!

I don't think we should be looking at how much performance gains one can expect. Having driven the car, I found it to be the best implementation of the 1.3multijet Suzuki certainly tuned the drivetrain well. The car is quite sprightly in the city and it did run out of breath on the highway (any good remap would solve this quite nicely) but for a car that manages crazy FE figures, that is an acceptable trade-off infact instead of the 1.6, I wish they simply stiffened up the damper rates and tuned the eps for better feedback.

After reading whatever I could about this, it is clear that this system is here only to make the car more efficient and even then I suppose we should not be looking at max efficiency gains but realise that in the real world, this will mean consistently high fuel efficiency figures even if you need to make the busy office commute certainly a welcome upgrade to the car
Old 30th August 2015, 20:10   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's next launch, Ciaz SHVS. Now official.

Maruti Ciaz SHVS with Integrated Starter Generator & idling start / stop system. EDIT: Now launched!-ciaz.png
Old 31st August 2015, 12:55   #94
BHPian

Really curious to know whether the SHVS will improve the torque availability before 1750 RPM in all gears.

If the new system can aid the engine during acceleration by providing additional torque esp. before the turbo comes to life at around 1750 RPM, it will make a lot of difference! More so, if this is true for all gears.

In that case, it will not only be useful during the stop-start-accelerate cycles but also in higher gears, when you'd have to slow down to lower RPMs (<1750) due to traffic. Could potentially avoid a few gear shifts during long distance driving.

Last edited by naut : 31st August 2015 at 13:22. Reason: Minor edits
Old 31st August 2015, 23:27   #95
BHPian

I have read a hoarding in Bangalore, stating that the engine be stopped if idling more than 10 seconds. As clear as it is, will the SHVS follow something like this?

I have driven a KIA abroad and it will put off the engine the moment the vehicle is stationary.
Old 1st September 2015, 02:37   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
I have read a hoarding in Bangalore, stating that the engine be stopped if idling more than 10 seconds. As clear as it is, will the SHVS follow something like this?

I have driven a KIA abroad and it will put off the engine the moment the vehicle is stationary.
The system may have been modified to wait 10 seconds for india because of our driving conditions here. In other countries the only major stops would be at intersections/signals. Whereas in india the brake and clutch is used more than the accelarator at times. Frequent starting and switching off of the engine would drain the battery.
Old 1st September 2015, 04:20   #97
Senior - BHPian

Interesting paper on the integrated starter-generator (ISG) which replaces both the conventional starter and alternator (generator) of an automobile in a single electric device.

Source - http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...e_Applications
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Integrated starter generator.pdf (431.0 KB, 16138 views)
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 11:59   #98
BHPian

Its live now:
http://www.marutisuzuki.com/ciaz.aspx
Old 1st September 2015, 12:13   #99
BHPian

I always wanted to get this clarified. I'am sure this has been discussed earlier but i couldn't find the exact post that answered it through my search.

We know the idling rule (for about a minute) with the turbo charged engines before turning off the engine. Wouldn't engine start / stop feature at long signals go against this rule ?
Old 1st September 2015, 12:41   #100
BHPian

The claimed ARAI mileage is 28.09 kmpl!!! Also during the launch, they did mention about the FAME initiative. Can we expect a good pricing? Fingers crossed!
Old 1st September 2015, 12:53   #101

Delta Cost of 19k for Hybridization !
Old 1st September 2015, 12:56   #102
BANNED

SHVS starts at 8.23L!

BTW, how come that's possible? Less than the current Diesel version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X202 View Post
Delta Cost of 19k for Hybridization !

Then they may be saving a lot in taxes.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 1st September 2015 at 13:16.
Old 1st September 2015, 12:59   #103

And best bet is ZDi= The delta difference is just Rs.7500 between the 1st launch to current launch!
Old 1st September 2015, 13:10   #104
BHPian

VDi+ SHVS is now 8.37, where VDI+ is 8.87.

How come ? Also, the VDI+SHVS gets an extra airbag.

There is no Zdi+SHVS .

Last edited by jvk84 : 1st September 2015 at 13:12.
Old 1st September 2015, 13:11   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
The claimed ARAI mileage is 28.09 kmpl!!! Also during the launch, they did mention about the FAME initiative. Can we expect a good pricing? Fingers crossed!
Looks like here it is:

VDi ₹8,23,000
VDI(O) ₹8,37,500
VDi+ ₹8,81,500
ZDi ₹9,52,500
ZDi+ ₹10,17,500

This seems to be priced lower than before??
Anyone has previous prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvk84 View Post
VDi+ SHVS is now 8.37, where VDI+ is 8.87.

How come ? Also, the VDI+SHVS gets an extra airbag.

There is no Zdi+SHVS .
Only explaination is FAME India (A Govt of India scheme) Initiative to offer discounts on
mild hybrid, strong hybrid and Full electric vehicles. Looks like MS is passing this on
to the customers directly.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st September 2015 at 13:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks