Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2015, 16:31   #61
BHPian

Re: October 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Just one question to the author/moderators/experts:

Are the numbers for Maruti Stringray combined with those of Maruti Wagon R? Is the Stingray a good car for city driving?

I tried searching but I could not find a lot of details on this forum regarding the stringray.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nivatakavacha : 11th November 2015 at 16:32. Reason: extra line
Old 11th November 2015, 16:33   #62
BHPian

Dzire overtook the sales of Alto ? good improvement!

I read that November was a very good time for automotive industry. Looking forward to see the numbers of November month!
Old 11th November 2015, 18:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Going by this logic, Maruti will be happy that they sold 3K units of SCross from ~80 NEXA outlets (~37 cars per dealer) while Hyundai sold 7.2K units of Creta from ~400 outlets (~18 cars per dealer).

IMO, dealer-wise, this type of calculation will be applicable, but company-wise, it doesn't matter.
If Maruti looks as individual dealer as a unit market, then it has reasons to be may be not so happy. Because that would mean for a unit market area competitor cars are more popular.

But of course, i do appreciate your point . The per dealer analysis given is not an apples to apples comparison. (Maruti has many dealerships in tier 3 cities that just sell just their entry level cars (for e.g Nakodar dealership in Punjab); similarly many Hyundai dealerships do not have Cretas to sell. The Nawanshahr dealership in Punjab took a very very long time to get their first Creta to sell) But if we can somehow get a per dealer break up for all the metros, that would be very close to the actual picture.
Old 11th November 2015, 18:41   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Desire - I always wonder if this car was from any other manufacturer, would this have sold in those many numbers?
Of course not!
Dzire, is backed by Maruti's wide sales & support network, which can even found at times in remote towns. This is one specific advantage, which no other manufacturer has.
Added to this, is the capacity to produce cars to meet the demand.
Think about Honda for a moment. It sells roughly 15-20K cars per month. Do you think its cars (City, Amaze, Jazz, specifically) cannot sell any more numbers? It can, buy Honda is restricted by the capacity to produce cars, and the dealerships & service centres are limited to tier II cities and metros.
If production capacity & sales/service points are restricted to tier II cities & metros, even Maruti cannot sell more Dzires than Honda in Amazes.

Quote:
I agree that other car in this segment has some or the other major 'con', (Xcent - engine/steering, Amaze - Interiors, Zest - Tata) but still, just a 'refined engine', 'better ride quality' and 'maruti service' is enough to make people to buy in BIG numbers? What about the 'rear space' and 'boot space (or lack of it)'? people does not look into these factors while buying in this segment?
Think about this: If you are in a town, where Maruti is available in next street, but to go to a Honda showroom or service centre, you need to travel 100 km. Would you prefer a Dzire or an Amaze?
The number of cars only indicate the ability of the manufacturer to push more cars to the customers in every way they could. It hardly indicates the user preferences such as engine, ride quality, interior space etc.
If you see in a metro such as Bangalore, where the customer is spoilt for choice, I bet the % share of Maruti will be much lesser than the 45% market share.
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 19:15   #65
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised to see the Passat's sales number (three).Is it still being manufactured on order basis?
Or do the dealers still have old stocks lying around with them?
Old 12th November 2015, 09:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for these numbers. But this is very basic reporting which may not be of much help to car buyers.
It's time we start seeing comparisons by fuel types.

For ex. If we look at these numbers , the City is consistently out selling the Ciaz. I am sure most of these would be the petrol City. For the Ciaz , I am sure 3 out of 4 cars sold would be diesels.

Same way , if you look at the Creta vs S cross or the Baleno vs i20 numbers , we should remember that the Marutis mentioned here are sold only at Nexa's compared to the Hyundai's which are sold at all dealerships. Maybe a column again each model sold to show number of dealerships will show the correct picture.

For me , the stars here are the Bolero , Innova and the Ertiga which have been selling consistently since so many years. Having owned the Amaze , I am surprised that it's selling so well. Maybe , it's the petrol engined ones.
Old 12th November 2015, 10:40   #67
BHPian

A friend of mine (who is in M&M) has shared this:

October 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-20151111210712.jpg

This is interesting indeed!
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 13:27   #68
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
A friend of mine (who is in M&M) has shared this:

Attachment 1438453

This is interesting indeed!
That would include 2W, 4W, tractors, trucks - everything?
Old 12th November 2015, 14:07   #69

Interesting to note that the Datsun Go Plus continues to sell steadily - overtaking the Honda Mobilio to become the third in its people mover segment, next to Maruti Suzuki Ertiga.

Whether the downward trend of Mobilio persists and if the Go Plus would still sell in more numbers than its Go hatchback sibling - only time will tell.

Actually speaking it is the Terrano and Go Plus that are bringing in the numbers for Nissan while Renault seems to have picked up a winner with the sales success of the Kwid.
Old 13th November 2015, 16:49   #70
BHPian

Wonder why this time there are not many posts, it has not gone beyond 5 pages or is everyone very busy with Diwali celebrations. It's festive time, wishing all readers a very Happy Diwali, New year and lots of prosperity and safe driving.
The Mahindra TUV 300 seems to be doing well but there isn't much hype around same or is it getting over shadowed now with the Baleno hype.
FIAT - nobody knows what they are upto, such wonderful cars, all efforts down the drain, it seems same case in few other countries as well. The Linea is one of the best sedans even with the old design, except for the lack of features and back seat space, it is too good but alas its a sorry state of affairs where even if you go to their dealerships no one is even interested in selling and believe me I am saying this from experience.
General Motors India is another classic example of how not to do business or rather spoil your brand's reputation. Wish the top management learns from the mistakes and brings in the required changes and even if takes time rebuild the business with pure Chevrolet cars instead of Chinese cousins.
Volkswagen & Skoda - God bless them but I am sure they will bounce back due to their might.
How Kwid fares in the long run is going to decide the future of Renault, whether they will be volume players or just go on as they are.
Nissan is in the same boat as Chevrolet, need to shape or ship out.
That leaves Hyundai who seems to be on a roll with Elite i20 and Creta and Maruti Suzuki as usual leading. The Baleno is a good value for money product, you can't yet it call it a premium hatchback though by Maruti Suzuki standards it is.
Old 13th November 2015, 18:11   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayeed View Post

FIAT - nobody knows what they are upto, such wonderful cars, all efforts down the drain, it seems same case in few other countries as well. The Linea is one of the best sedans even with the old design, except for the lack of features and back seat space, it is too good but alas its a sorry state of affairs where even if you go to their dealerships no one is even interested in selling and believe me I am saying this from experience.

I have to agree on the Linea part. I just got my Linea TJet and the buying experience was not satisfactory at all. It was as if the dealer was gifting me the car and never seemed like the dealer was interested in selling it. However tolerated it due to the fact that Linea TJet is one heck of a car.
Vinodh_Gowda is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 20:13   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy to see Ciaz consistently doing in good numbers. It was hard for me to convince my dad to decide on Ciaz rather on the city diesel three months ago. But now everytime we get on the highway, we see at least a couple of Ciazes on road.

I wish Aspire and Figo sold better. Worse is the case with Punto twins. The dealer in my city doesn't even have a display Abarth.

Mahindra must be content with TUV doing good numbers. I have a Chevrolet Beat that is 3 years and 75000km old. Looking at how Chevy is doing in India, I am already hearing terrible asking price for the Beat. No wonder why Maruti cars are best sellers, talk about resale!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 13th November 2015 at 20:18.
Old 16th November 2015, 10:35   #73
BANNED

Thanks team-bhp for the numbers and analysis. Only thing missing is the numbers of luxury cars segment. Hope it will be included in the coming months.

Its good to see 38 renault fluence have been sold, maybe due to huge discounts on offer. Really loved the fluence from the beginning for its looks, good road presence and uniqueness it commands on our roads.
I wished it sold in good numbers considering its overall potential.
Old 26th November 2015, 11:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

MPV's no more popular, SUV's are !

New trend? I don't think so personally. SUV's are getting popular for sure but that doesn't mean MPV's are no more in demand. I will say this trend is seen due to models like Mobilio, Lodgy, Enjoy and Xylo are doing badly. Xylo is quite old now, but others are new and couldn't find the liking of the market. COmpanies clearly failed to understand what customers wanted and those are not 100% good products for sure. On the other hand, only Ertiga and Innova finding customers. New Ertiga clicks the most boxes and surely sell in good numbers. Shocking to hear that in festive season also production of Mobiliio and Lodgy was stopped

"Increasing customer preference towards sportutility vehicles is edging out multipurpose vehicles from the market, with fewer buyers now opting for those big family vehicles. In October, a month when automobile sales posted strong growth, Honda Motor didn't produce the Mobilio, an MPV launched just 16 months ago, according to data from the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers. Renault manufactured just one Lodgy, a vehicle the French auto maker launched in India as recently as April this year. Industry sources said there was a huge inventory of these models at dealerships, which led the companies to halt their production.

It's not the new comers alone. The top 2 MPVs, Toyota Innova and Maruti Ertiga, have seen average monthly sales shrinking to 4,500 to 5,000 units from the peak of 6,500 units a few years ago. Sales of the Chevrolet Tavera and Enjoy, and the Mahindra Xylo have dropped 25 per cent from their peaks. Despite the novelty factor, the average monthly sales of Mobilio have fallen to 890 units so far in fiscal 2016 versus 3,800 units last year. Lodgy sales are around 800 units a month.

Both Honda and Renault have so far resisted the pressure to open the sale of the MPVs to fleet owners, which means large volumes but usually at a discount, in the initial stage of launch in a bid to save the brands from getting a taxi image. Meanwhile, a slew of options in the SUV space is putting further pressure on the models. A large number of the Innova and other older MPV models is sold for use in the taxi market. So severe has been the drop in demand that the overall utility vehicle sales have been dragged by MPVs. In the July-September quarter of fiscal 2016, MPV sales fell 19.5 per cent from a year earlier to 95,483 units. The fall in personal usage of MPV was much starker, with sales falling 45 per cent to 18,010 units. The MPV space in India is shrinking because intra-city movement of people is not growing, Sumit Sawhney, managing director of Renault India, said in a recent interaction with ET. He explained how the multi-purpose or multi-utility vehicles are more utilitarian and how the SUV, which is both aspirational and utilitarian, is stifling the segment. But he expects MPVs to make a comeback.

"The MPV segment is definitely going to come back, when we start seeing investment happening in infrastructure and roads. The government has already announced 100 smart cities, which will call for demand for more people movement," he said. The company is also introducing a variant of the Lodgy for the fleet market, which Sawhney said has the potential to take the sales of the model to 2,500 units a month. While Renault will start tapping into the fleet market, Honda Cars India is non-committal on such a plan.

Jnaneswar Sen, senior vice president of sales marketing at Honda Cars India, said the Mobilio has helped in expanding the operating universe in the country and helped Honda in entering a new segment. The overall segment has shrunk in the past few months, he said, while predicting a possible revival in demand in the near future. "The production numbers for Mobilio are as per our plan ... we try to have a healthy inventory for all our models to effectively meet the customer demand." Gaurav Vangaal, senior analyst for forecasting at IHS Automotive, said the segment would likely remain muted for another couple of years before Hyundai Motor introduces its offering in the market. "The similar price bracket of compact SUVs is creating trouble for MPV's," he said."

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49927583.cms
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 12:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

Re: MPV's no more popular, SUV's are !

I feel the deserving MPV's in India are the Maruti Ertiga at the lower end and Toyota Innova at the higher end. I haven't checked out the Lodgy so can't comment on it but both the Xylo & Mobilo in my opinion are bad products. While M&M can be forgiven for the learning curve they are in, Honda has done a lazy attempt with the Mobilo and the market has rightly rejected the half hearted attempt for high profits.

The next interesting MPV is Hyundai's answer to the Ertiga and I feel this Hyundai has the potential to hit Ertiga hard like the Elite i20 hit the Swift.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks