Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 20:18   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti launches WagonR & Stingray VXi AMT at Rs. 4.77 / 4.99 lakh

@Anurag: Can you confirm if the passenger airbag has been (re)added to the VXi(O) MT variant as well? The reference articles seem to say so but haven't seen anything confirmed yet.
Old 19th November 2015, 20:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Go for the VXI - O. A 2 months wait will get you a 2016 registration. Besides the ABS and airbags are a useful safety feature and worth the extra price. Having an AMT you never know, you might just end up driving more than 5-6kms a day.

Apart from the safety related angle, you may also note that there is a high possibility that in very near future we could see airbags (minimum 2) to be a standard across cars to be brought in as legislation. In that case, resale value of cars not having the same could nosedive sharply few years down the line.
Old 19th November 2015, 21:13   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The Wagon-R deserved a full AT box, and at least 3-4 years back. Had Maruti done that, they would surely have tasted success. To me, the AMT looks more a late compromise. However, better late than never.
Old 19th November 2015, 21:26   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Wagon-R deserved a full AT box, and at least 3-4 years back. Had Maruti done that, they would surely have tasted success. To me, the AMT looks more a late compromise. However, better late than never.
There was a WagonR AT but at least a decade before IIRC when the country didn't really crave for Autoboxes.

However with AMT, I still good number of buyers to pick this looking for Practicality and ease of driving around in B2B traffic.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 21:59   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There was a WagonR AT but at least a decade before IIRC when the country didn't really crave for Autoboxes.
+1 to both. Yes, I remember that. I have said earlier too that Maruti should have had AT's on their best selling models. They had the A-Star in the last few years. Pretty much same config. They should have & could have extended it to the Waggy.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 22:12   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Xenon headlamps
Those are halogen projectors on the headlamps not xenons/HIDs.
Old 22nd November 2015, 12:15   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lol! Wagon-R is already a huge success, AT notwithstanding.

Maruti is the only reason, AT is now even in the consideration of the middle class 'average' car buying public.

Problem with Maruti is, they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't
Old 22nd November 2015, 14:56   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Lol! Wagon-R is already a huge success, AT notwithstanding.

Problem with Maruti is, they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't
Did you even understand what my post was about ?
Old 31st December 2015, 18:01   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMindia View Post
Finally a Maruti AMT with ABS+ Airbags? Or is it just the dual airbags in WagonR. I think Maruti Wagor R would give some safety choice in the otherwise bland list entry level automatic cars without any safety features.
I was informed by Spectra Motors Ghatkopar Mumbai that WagonR manual shift is available with ABS+Airbags.
However, if I want WagonR AMT, then only the Airbags (front) is an option. ABS is NOT available.
I wonder why this should be so.

I wish I could confirm this from some other source(s).
Old 2nd January 2016, 08:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaitondeun View Post
I was informed by Spectra Motors Ghatkopar Mumbai that WagonR manual shift is available with ABS+Airbags.
However, if I want WagonR AMT, then only the Airbags (front) is an option. ABS is NOT available.
No, that's wrong info.

The VXi AGS (variant with AMT) is also available with ABS and dual airbags. It is optional and may not be readily available. But very well worth the wait.
Old 2nd January 2016, 08:54   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They should have gotten the same combination which serves the duty on A-Star. 1L K-Series + 4 speed AT box. They could have come into the market at least 4-5 years back. When we got the i10 AT some 7 years back, there was nothing against it to compete. The A-Star AT came at least a year two later. But then the Wagon-R's K-Series variant came some more time later. Thats the time, they should have added the same AT Box as well.

The other philosophy they need to change is why compromise on safety at the expense of AT? Both Maruti and Hyundai are guilty of that thought process. Any way those are more generic points as against the theme of this thread. But yes even I agree that, the Wagon-R deserves a better AT box as compared to an AMT.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd January 2016 at 09:15.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 09:22   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
They should have gotten the same combination which serves the duty on A-Star. 1L K-Series + 4 speed AT box.... The A-Star AT came at least a year two later. But then the Wagon-R's K-Series variant came some more time later. Thats the time, they should have added the same AT Box as well.
Common engines, common transmissions - that should not have been too difficult. Underneath the body, Maruti uses a lot of common parts / systems. I dont think they would have had to go the difficult way of developing a new AT box for the Wagon-R. A serious missed opportunity for Maruti - and the users.
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
They should have gotten the same combination which serves the duty on A-Star. 1L K-Series + 4 speed AT box. They could have come into the market at least 4-5 years back.
Quote:
Common engines, common transmissions - that should not have been too difficult. Underneath the body, Maruti uses a lot of common parts / systems. I dont think they would have had to go the difficult way of developing a new AT box for the Wagon-R. A serious missed opportunity for Maruti - and the users.
IMO the reason they didn't launch the WagonR with AT variant back then was to push the A-Star sales. WagonR was doing good numbers anyway. Hardly anyone would have picked A-Star AT over the WagonR AT.

Last edited by navin : 26th October 2017 at 16:27. Reason: typo
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:59   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
IMO the reason they didn't launched the WagonR with AT variant back then was to push the A-Star sales. WagonR was doing good numbers anyway. Hardly anyone would have picked A-Star AT over the WagonR AT.
I think the A-Star was also being exported.
Maruti had market for all it's models. Even if we use your logic, Maruti could have got the Wagon-R AT when the A-Star was stopped.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:34   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Even if we use your logic, Maruti could have got the Wagon-R AT when the A-Star was stopped.
Maruti launched the Celerio AMT at the same time when A-star was officially discontinued circa Feb-2014 and they were just experimenting with AMT at that time. The higher fuel efficiency coupled with Auto Transmission technology made the AMT a runaway success in small cars which was not seen earlier with the 4 Speed AT transmission in the first gen WagonR, Ritz and A-Star.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 2nd January 2016 at 11:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks