Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 18:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Dzire diesel AMT launched at Rs. 8.39 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
AMTs are hardly quick either. AMT has the cost & fuel efficiency advantage. But in terms of the driving experience, give me a CVT any day. A CVT is SMOOTH, while the AMT is so jerky. You'll notice the AMT's jerkiness on every drive, even for a 1 km lap around the neighbourhood. The CVT's rubber-band effect will be noticed only when you floor the accelerator.
I tried the Celerio extensively in City traffic conditions ( My friend owns it in Kochi and whenever I visit Kochi, I use this car ). I don't experience this jerk at all. Maybe because, I unknowingly do the cheat ( ie, to release the accelerator throttle to shift up ).

And regarding peppiness, I find the manual mode of Celerio AMT much more fun to drive than the CVT of Nissan Micra. So, when I want to have some fun, I atleast have that manual option on the Celerio. CVT takes its own sweet time to pass on the torque to the wheels.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar has put up a review of the Dzire AMT. The review seemed a little vague, I could not really figure out if it was positive, negative or neutral.

Overall seemed to indicate that the Zest Diesel AMT is the better option.

Quote:

The shift-pattern is as seen on other AMT-equipped Maruti models. Press the start button and the engine settles into its familiar rhythm. The diesel engine here is infamous for its turbo lag but the good thing is, in this configuration, the car takes off a bit quicker – an advantage while driving through crowded city roads. This Dzire AMT, however, is a bit slower, with 60kph coming up in 5.40sec from standstill as opposed to the 5.18sec on the manual car. When driven normally in the automatic mode, the gearbox upshifts smoothly at around 2,200rpm and the pause characteristic of most AMT ’boxes isn’t as bad. The shifts also appear to be smoother and the speed with which the gears engage manually when you push on the lever seems to be quicker as well.

Unlike the Zest, the Dzire diesel AMT does not come with a Sport mode. What’s nice is that the car uses the engine’s powerband smoothly. Maruti is constantly improving its AMT technology as it equips more models with this gearbox, and on this car, you can tell.

When you want an instant change of pace, put your foot down hard and the Dzire drops gears quickly, but power is interrupted for a bit, which can leave you stranded while overtaking.
Link: Autocar

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 22nd January 2016 at 12:03.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 11:18   #18
BHPian

Autocar compares the Dzire and Zest AMTs

Maruti Dzire diesel AMT launched at Rs. 8.39 lakh-c.jpg

Maruti Dzire diesel AMT launched at Rs. 8.39 lakh-c1.jpg

Maruti Dzire diesel AMT launched at Rs. 8.39 lakh-c2.jpg

Verdict

The Tata Zest diesel auto is clearly a well-rounded package. It comes with one of the best cabins in its class, rides well, has a smooth, fluid steering and the fact that it is powered by a 89bhp version of Fiat’s 1.3 Multijet means performance is pretty solid.

Yes, the automatic transmission is a bit jerky and that spoils the package a bit, but there’s no taking away from the fact that this is quite an accomplished car.

Thing is, Maruti’s new Dzire AMT is a big step-up in terms of refinement and smoothness and this makes it much nicer to drive. In fact, so much better is this AMT, it offers an experience that’s closest to a conventional automatic.

The car rides well, it’s easy to handle both in the city and on the highway and comfort levels on the front seats are extremely high. It isn’t as well equipped, it costs around Rs 13,000 more and space in the back is less, but the Maruti drives so much better, it’s almost an ‘automatic’ choice.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-400576.aspx/1
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 11:25   #19
BHPian

Autocar compares the Dzire and Zest AMTs

Attachment 1486512

The Zest and Dzire may share plenty of mechanical bits under the skin, but they differ in one crucial manner, the Maruti uses a less powerful 74bhp version of the engine while the Zest uses a more powerful 90bhp edition. This is because it is driven by a different turbo-charger.

Attachment 1486513

Of the two cars, it is the Zest that is the slower performer. 0-100kph takes 15.78 secs, to the Dzire’s 13.8 secs, making it almost two seconds slower than the less powerful Maruti.

Attachment 1486514

Apart from being quicker, the Maruti also scores over the Zest in the dynamics department. The Dzire turns in faster and sharper, with only a bit of body roll, which gives a driver the confidence to go quicker through corners.

The steering is a bit heavier though, and there isn’t a good feeling at the centre-ahead position, which is annoying at slow speeds. Another niggle is that the Dzire feels a little stiff-kneed at lower speeds and sometimes it crashes through sharper potholes. However, pick up pace and it gets better, with quite good straight-line stability.

Verdict

The Tata Zest diesel auto is clearly a well-rounded package. It comes with one of the best cabins in its class, rides well, has a smooth, fluid steering and the fact that it is powered by a 89bhp version of Fiat’s 1.3 Multijet means performance is pretty solid.

Yes, the automatic transmission is a bit jerky and that spoils the package a bit, but there’s no taking away from the fact that this is quite an accomplished car.

Thing is, Maruti’s new Dzire AMT is a big step-up in terms of refinement and smoothness and this makes it much nicer to drive. In fact, so much better is this AMT, it offers an experience that’s closest to a conventional automatic.

The car rides well, it’s easy to handle both in the city and on the highway and comfort levels on the front seats are extremely high. It isn’t as well equipped, it costs around Rs 13,000 more and space in the back is less, but the Maruti drives so much better, it’s almost an ‘automatic’ choice.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-400576.aspx/1
Old 23rd June 2016, 21:12   #20
BHPian

Hi

A couple of days back, I took a test drive of the Dzire AMT. Having recently moved to Kolkata from Oman, I just could not think of myself driving an stick shift. My ride at Oman was a Nissan Altima, it was a CVT. CVT, slush box and AMT have been discussed aplenty in this forum, hence I shall only pen down my comment. I really hated the rubber band effect! Period!

Yes, the shifts of the Dzire AMT makes ones head nod at each and every gear change, but I could smoothen the effect by controlling the pressure on the A pedal. I found the driver's seat pretty comfortable (I am 6 feet one inch tall and weigh 128 kgs). Ingress and egress too was comendable (compared to the Zen (2003 model we currently own) and the Altima). I am inclined to go in for it.

When could I expect the official review, would love to go through it before I hand over my cheque. I need to make a booking in a month.

Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 21:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Hi

A couple of days back, I took a test drive of the Dzire AMT. Having recently moved to Kolkata from Oman, I just could not think of myself driving an stick shift. My ride at Oman was a Nissan Altima, it was a CVT. CVT, slush box and AMT have been discussed aplenty in this forum, hence I shall only pen down my comment. I really hated the rubber band effect! Period!

Yes, the shifts of the Dzire AMT makes ones head nod at each and every gear change, but I could smoothen the effect by controlling the pressure on the A pedal. I found the driver's seat pretty comfortable (I am 6 feet one inch tall and weigh 128 kgs). Ingress and egress too was comendable (compared to the Zen (2003 model we currently own) and the Altima). I am inclined to go in for it.

When could I expect the official review, would love to go through it before I hand over my cheque. I need to make a booking in a month.

Thanks
I took this for a spin a few months ago and liked it. AMT is super fuel efficient and I did not feel the jerks you mentioned. It is definitely a value for money. It's got almost every modern feature one longs for. Climate Control, push-button start, power-adjust and power-fold ORVMs, turn lights on ORVMs, chrome handle bars, high seating (for a sedan). Just wondering why there isn't a single owner review here. Please be the first if you buy.
Old 23rd June 2016, 21:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I took this for a spin a few months ago and liked it. AMT is super fuel efficient and I did not feel the jerks you mentioned. It is definitely a value for money. It's got almost every modern feature one longs for. Climate Control, push-button start, power-adjust and power-fold ORVMs, turn lights on ORVMs, chrome handle bars, high seating (for a sedan). Just wondering why there isn't a single owner review here. Please be the first if you buy.
I intend to book in a week or two. Just in the process of initiating a discount battle between two dealers. I like the Alpine Blue, but the final call on the colour shall be taken by the better half.

I enjoyed the drive. As compared to the Altima SV I used, the only features missing are remote engine start, rear camera, front parking sensors, cruise control, auto headlamps - what I get instead is climate control. Add to that I am getting a turbo diesel automatic (ok AMT), which I love the most
Old 23rd June 2016, 22:01   #23
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Just wondering why there isn't a single owner review here. Please be the first if you buy.
I doubt if we are going to see an official review of the Dzire AMT. But here is an ownership review-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-zdi-amt.html
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 13:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Add to that I am getting a turbo diesel automatic (ok AMT), which I love the most
Please check out the Tata Zest XTA and share your opinion on that as well. Would make a nice comparison with the Dzire AMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I doubt if we are going to see an official review of the Dzire AMT.
Why is that They sell well enough, so there really should be a few more. All Dzire AMT owners, please put up your reviews at the very least on this thread.
Old 24th June 2016, 14:15   #25
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

Why is that
It's been quite some time since the Dzire AMT was launched. An official review, if planned, would have been out by now.
Old 24th June 2016, 17:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
It's been quite some time since the Dzire AMT was launched. An official review, if planned, would have been out by now.
Whoops, I meant user reviews not an official review. There is just one initial ownership review on the forum (I checked, it's the one quoted).
Old 24th June 2016, 21:40   #27
BHPian

Hi

I took a third test drive today. This one was in the peak hour traffic. Contacted Bhandari Motors, Mithun was assigned my lead. He was to come at 4.30 PM as agreed, but his vehicle got stuck in a traffic jam - he was very professional at keeping me updated of his status and he managed to turn up at 6.30 PM for which is profusely apologized. No offence taken, traffic jams are a part and parcel of todays metro roads, thats why an automatic.

Went for a spin, bidhan nibas to VIP, Ultadanga, HUDCO, Salt Lake and back home, the traffic was at its horrendous best. Good test drive for an automatic, loved every moment of it. For approximately a km, I got a free stretch wherein the MID read 18 kmpl, not bad at all.

Mithun has given me a quote.

I have made up my mind, its gonna be the Dzire AMT. Now for the colour, wifie and myself shall be visiting Sanei Motors tomorrow morning. Apart from colours I have to negociate with them, lets see what they have to offer.

Questions to the seniors / experienced

1. Do I take insurance from the car dealer (experience says they are expensive compared to the open market) / which insurance company do I opt for and what kind of insurance. Would not mind that slight extra premium for zero depreciation cash less settlement

2. Registration - do I get it done through a known broker or through the dealership
Old 24th June 2016, 22:43   #28
BHPian

From my experience you may consider getting zero-dep insurance through National Insurance Co directly. This would be at least 6-7k cheaper. Also since NIC has tiedvup with Maruti, their workshops would give you cashless hassle free service same as that of the dealer given policy.

Permanent Registration in Kerala is done by dealer for just 550 Rs. Don't know about other states. If they don't charge extra why go through the hassle.
Old 24th June 2016, 23:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:

I took a third test drive today.

Did you get a chance to test drive the Zest XTA?
It is a worthy competition to the DZire AMT.
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 20:32   #30
BHPian

Hi

Posting the pricing details obtained from two dealers at Kolkata

Sanei Motors

Exshowroom Rs 9,00,847
Insurance Rs 21,346 (full comprehensive insurance)
B2B Rs 4842 (the SE said this is a charge to provide 100% insurance coverage (I smell something fishy here)
Registration and Road Tax Rs 90,213 (life time tax for 15 years)
Auto Card Rs 500 (some card which one can accumulate points at all Maruti Outlets on purchase of accessories and service)
Total onroad price Rs 10,17,748
Booking amount Rs 50,000 with a clause of a deduction of Rs 250 in case of cancellation

Bhandari Motors
Ex Showroom Rs 9,00,844
Registration and Road Tax Rs 90,210 (road tax for 15 years)
Insurance Rs 21,347
Discount Rs 15,000
On road price 9,97,401
Booking amount Rs 5000 with a cancellation clause of Rs 250

Both are offering 3 free services 1000 kms / 1 month, 5000 kms / 6 months and 10,000 kms / 1 year

Last edited by ALTIMAed : 25th June 2016 at 20:34. Reason: Typing error
ALTIMAed is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks