Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2016, 20:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 to get more powerful engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Beyond a point, all this discussion around BHP & Nm is of little meaning. What matters in the real world is overall vehicle drive train performance on aspects of acceleration, in-gear/ roll-on acceleration/ fuel efficiency/ preventive maintenance cost/ accident repair costs. Unfortunately, there is no definitive statistic around the same.
0-100 figures (or quarter mile time) are a step in the right direction. As are the top speed achievable on flat road.
Perhaps for some people the in-gear acceleration also matters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Sir, I am sure you are not naive enough to believe that I was telling about a literal justification. This was just like we say "How is Honda going to justify the premium for Mobilio over Ertiga" or "Hyundai has justified the premium over Duster by giving some excellent quality and feature set in the Creta"

I know this is going The customer has to feel that the additional price is justified for him / her to go for the product. At least, I fall in that category
What if you come to know that the 0-100 kmph of the new TUV is 10 seconds?

Will it matter if they have "only" reprogrammed the ECU to achieve this feat, howsoever trivial it may seem?
Old 10th May 2016, 22:01   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
All decisions before launching a new vehicles (or indeed any product) are at just estimates based on market research, target consumers, affordability etc etc. I recently purchased a Scorpio and per the sales guy the number 1 feedback they had for TUV was for more power. Indeed I myself had the same feedback after my test drive. So Mahindra is just listening and giving customers what they want. Why is this hard to fathom?
I do agree that Mahindra should have tested the new engine more.
Once the TUV had proven to be generally acceptable (looks wise) it baffled most buffs why M&M chose to de-rate their 1.5 litre triple (from 100 bhp in the Quanto to 80+ bhp) and use it in the TUV.

Even though the Quanto was a sales disaster, the few reports that trickled in had only positives where the engine and the performance of the Quanto was concerned. So, as far testing the m-Hawk 100 goes, Mahindra have had enough time to do so & it should present no unpleasant surprises in the TUV. In fact, bearing in mind that the TUV has, basically, the same hydro-formed ladder-frame chassis as the new Scorpio (both have identical wheelbases), it would have no trouble handling the m-Hawk 2.2L either.

The AMT is, of course, another matter altogether. And the sooner M&M sort out that issue (ezee's awful experience is still fresh in our collective memory!) the better for all concerned.

Last edited by shashanka : 10th May 2016 at 22:05.
Old 12th May 2016, 16:45   #18
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Utility vehicle major Mahindra & Mahindra on Thursday launched a more powerful variant mHAWK 100 of its compact SUV TUV300 priced at Rs.8.87 lakh (ex-showroom Mumbai).

Only T8 and T8 Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) trims of the TUV300 will be available with mHAWK 100. The other variants would continue to be powered by mHAWK 80 engine which delivers a power 80-bhp.

Main features/points:
  • All new mHAWK 100 engine. Power ratings: 100 BHP/240 Nm (against 85 BHP/230 Nm of the current mHAWK 80).
  • AMT variant has been refined for smoother automatic gear shifts and a fatigue-free driving experience.
  • Better cushioned seats and child safety seat mounts in the second row.

M&M chief executive (Automotive) Pravin Shah mentioned at the event:
“As an organisation we always like to hear from the customers and hence we are happy to introduce the more powerful TUV300 with the mHawk 100 engine,”.

Information source:
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/uy...s887-lakh.html and
http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...1321&Itemid=10
Zinda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra has been one company that I have noticed who always pays attention to customer feedback and takes it seriously. Couple of examples as below -
  • Styling of the XUV5OO was toned down and specific issues/feedback of the older XUV was sorted in the New Age XUV5OO.
  • When the new Scorpio was launched, almost everybody hated the black applique on the boot and almost immediately, Mahindra made it body coloured.
  • When few examples of the "speed" alloy wheels breaking apart surfaced, the company recalled all the XUV with those optionally fitted alloys and replaced the affected ones free of cost. Since then, we have not heard any incidents related to the alloys, touch wood.
  • When the TUV was launched, the biggest grouse that people had was the under-powered engine and within months, Mahindra has now come up with a more powerful engine.
For that matter, when diesel vehicles more than 2.0 ltr were banned in NCR, all manufacturer were crying out loud and almost immediately, Mahindra rolled out the 1.99 ltr versions of the Scorpio and XUV!

This shows a very market and customer oriented approach, which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
Utility vehicle major Mahindra & Mahindra on Thursday launched a more powerful variant mHAWK 100 of its compact SUV TUV300 priced at Rs.8.87 lakh (ex-showroom Mumbai).
Good move and nice pricing.

Quote:
Only T8 and T8 Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) trims of the TUV300 will be available with mHAWK 100. The other variants would continue to be powered by mHAWK 80 engine which delivers a power 80-bhp.
Bad move. Why should the customers on a tighter budget be limited to a less powerful engine? Some may actually choose the 100 bhp lower end variant over the 80 bhp higher end variant!

Anyways, glad that the 100 bhp comes with both manual as well as the AMT.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 12th May 2016 at 17:23.
raj_5004 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
  • Styling of the XUV5OO was toned down and specific issues/feedback of the older XUV was sorted in the New Age XUV5OO.
  • When the new Scorpio was launched, almost everybody hated the black applique on the boot and almost immediately, Mahindra made it body coloured.
  • When few examples of the "speed" alloy wheels breaking apart surfaced, the company recalled all the XUV with those optionally fitted alloys and replaced the affected ones free of cost. Since then, we have not heard any incidents related to the alloys, touch wood.
  • When the TUV was launched, the biggest grouse that people had was the under-powered engine and within months, Mahindra has now come up with a more powerful engine.
That ain't a good example for customer feedback, buddy. It is the responsibility of the car manufacturer to ensure the safety of the customers. Please don't look it as a good will gesture rather it is the duty of the manufacturer to do the recall in such situations.

Other points shows that Mahindra is in fact taking their customer feedback seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think what he is trying to say here is that the alloys are not part of the standard accessory.
Oh, I thought the alloy in question was sold as an official mahindra accessory.

The main reason for paying big bucks for an official accessory is that, they are tried and tested. At least thats my intention while, going for an official accessory

Last edited by ecenandu : 12th May 2016 at 17:56.
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:43   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
That ain't a good example for customer feedback, buddy. It is the responsibility of the car manufacturer to ensure the safety of the customers. Please don't look it as a good will gesture rather it is the duty of the manufacturer to do the recall in such situations.

Other points shows that Mahindra is in fact taking their customer feedback seriously.
I think what he is trying to say here is that the alloys are not part of the standard accessory. People buy it separately and more often than not they can't produce the bills after 6 months. All these are good technical point for a manufacturer to hide behind. Particularly if only a few cases (batch specific) have been reported amongst the thousands that were sold. So yes, doing it proactively, even before much hue and cry generates on the issue is partly about being customer centric and partly about being extremely image savvy.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
[*]AMT variant has been refined for smoother automatic gear shifts and a fatigue-free driving experience.
I would say it's a setback for existing TUV AMT owners as Mahindra has discontinued AMT with mHawk80 engine (check Specifications page on official website). We AMT owners are still struggling with jerky and underpowered engine and customer centric Mahindra leaving us in the middle and moved ahead with 100 bhp engine option. Imagin who will be takers of our AMT's now, when there is a better option available at a premium of just Rs 8000/- only.

Through this forum I would request Mahindra to give us upgrade option and make us not feel like orphaned, as its just few months only since we got our AMTs.
ezee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

As per this Autocar report , there are changes to the rear seat as well.

Quote:
On the inside, Mahindra has increased the length of the rear seat cushion by 30mm, and raised the height of its under-thigh padding by 19mm to improve thigh support for rear passengers. However, the low seat height of the rear bench relative to the floor still leaves the passengers’ thighs suspended mid-air. The bigger seat cushion will be available on the 85hp TUV300 as well.
Does this mean other variants will have a smaller rear seat ?
Old 12th May 2016, 18:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
That ain't a good example for customer feedback, buddy. It is the responsibility of the car manufacturer to ensure the safety of the customers.
Completely agree! Mahindra are lucky in that no one sued them (atleast as far as I know), and also that the sales did not get any impact. That incidence was due to negligent Quality Assurance in-house, IMO.
In an era of UV & X rays verification which have the sheer capability of finding impurities (Spectrum Analysis) right from Currency Notes, to Micro Chips used in PDAs/Smart Phones, a bunch of alloy wheels cracking due to impure composition is just unacceptable. Add the OEM factor to it, and Mahindra were due for a sue!
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 18:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
I would say it's a setback for existing TUV AMT owners ... We AMT owners are still struggling with jerky and underpowered engine
I can understand your pain mate! You have mentioned TUV AMT issues.

At one hand it is really nice of Mahindra that they discontinued the problematic mHAWK 80 + AMT combo for good, on the other hand I really doubt they will replace the existing ones with mHAWK100. However, I would suggest you to escalate your issues with top officials at M&M without losing time, and with sufficient documents to backup your case. Good luck!
Zinda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 18:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Does this mean other variants will have a smaller rear seat ?
This is change is across variants as per Autocar India report
dheepak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 18:30   #27
BANNED

Quote:
I would say it's a setback for existing TUV AMT owners as Mahindra has discontinued AMT with mHawk80 engine (check Specifications page on official website). We AMT owners are still struggling with jerky and underpowered engine and customer centric Mahindra leaving us in the middle and moved ahead with 100 bhp engine option. Imagin who will be takers of our AMT's now, when there is a better option available at a premium of just Rs 8000/- only.

Through this forum I would request Mahindra to give us upgrade option and make us not feel like orphaned, as its just few months only since we got our AMTs.
Ezee, I'm sure that all forum members are with you in this situation and I fully appreciate the difficulty you are facing. I feel sure that with the kind of pressure all AMT TUV owners (with the mHawk80 engine) are putting on M&M, your situation is likely to get resolved soon, hopefully, with the upgrade option you have suggested. I just feel disappointed that a maker with M&M's reputation for customer-centric responses, allowed the situation to get to this stage.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 18:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra leaving us in the middle and moved ahead with 100 bhp engine option. Imagin who will be takers of our AMT's now, when there is a better option available at a premium of just Rs 8000/- only.
Initial test drive reports have reported that the difference is hard to tell.
In fact a minor 10NM increase of torque would be hard pressed to detect in day to day scenarios.
Old 12th May 2016, 19:20   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Initial test drive reports have reported that the difference is hard to tell.
In fact a minor 10NM increase of torque would be hard pressed to detect in day to day scenarios.
10 nm of additional torque would be enough to overcome whatever inherent mechanical resistance/inertia that may be present in the AMT in question.
This is assuming M&M did not do their sums right/did not carry out sufficient in-depth trials, when mating the mHawk80 engine characteristics with those of the AMT.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 19:40   #30
BHPian

Now the vehicle looks more respectable with 100 horses which will give it much better highway mile munching ability. Cruising will be a lot more relaxed and overtaking will be a lot easier too. The rear seat modification is a good move. Also i wanted Mahindra to equip this vehicle with 16" wheels like Nuvosport which would have filled up the wheel wells much better.
needforspeed88 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks