Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2016, 11:20   #1
BANNED

Fire at compressor vendor unit of Maruti. Production affected

Source: http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report...-plant-2217858

There is a fire at the factory of Subros Limited, an AC compressor unit manufacturer for Maruti. Reports says massive destruction. Delivery of Maruti vehicles may be affected? Or, is there any alternative arrangement by Maruti?
romeomidhun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 15:38   #2
BANNED

re: Fire at compressor vendor unit of Maruti. Production affected

Seems bad times ahead for Maruti.

i. Source: http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...-halt/52502740

Suspends production due to the above-mentioned fire.

ii. Source: http://newsworldindia.in/india/other...tation/193631/

Section 144 Imposed in 8 Districts of Haryana As Jats Threaten To Relaunch Quota Agitation.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 16:02   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fire at compressor vendor unit of Maruti. Production affected

Sad. A Team-BHP Fan shares the following information:

Quote:
Production suspended in all Maruti factories in 2 shifts today and 1 shift tomorrow.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 22:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

So this is the fire I and my team saw in Manesar yesterday, actually what we saw was a small plume of smoke just after we entered the Manesar industrial area. In about 5 to 6 minutes as we approached the Maruti plant the plume had thickened and grown and we crossed a fire tender rushing from the Maruti plant towards the smoke.

Our work was in the lane behind the factory on fire and away from the wind direction. 40 odd minutes later as we started back there were two muffled explosions and the smoke thereafter turned greyish. As we were exiting the industrial area about 50 minutes after having spotted the smoke, we crossed a Volvo or was it Iveco chassis based fire tender emerging from the Manesar fire station and drive towards the troubled spot.

Guess the models that are using Subros products will be affected & IIRC Subros is the major supplier for this component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
There is a fire at the factory of Subros Limited, an AC compressor unit manufacturer for Maruti. Reports says massive destruction. Delivery of Maruti vehicles may be affected? Or, is there any alternative arrangement by Maruti?
khoj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 08:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

There goes my to-be-made car. Just another reason for my dealer to force me to buy a car thats available in stock.

I hope that the agitation issue gets resolved soon else I will be stuck between selling a car and buying a new one which is not quite a good place to be in.
Old 31st May 2016, 08:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Knowing how quickly Maruti responds to these situations, I am sure production will resume really soon. I can recollect multiple incidents from my time at MSIL.

There was a time when Hindalco used to be the only alloy wheel supplier to MSIL. They shut shop and there were no other alloy wheel manufacturers in India. The development and validation of alloys from Indonesia was done in super quick time. And mind you, without skimping on a single validation test or criteria. When quick validations are needed, test vehicles run 24x7 on the test track (3 drivers in 8 hour shifts) till validation is done (20,000 or 40,000 km as need be).

Another incident which comes to mind was when Ertiga was launched and there was huge demand for ZXi and ZDi variants, more than what Maruti had anticipated. Since the alloy wheels are imported, they had become a bottle-neck to production ramp-up. Overnight, a new variant was created (not sure about other OEMs, but at MSIL, this needs a tonne of approval from each department, right up to SMC, Japan) - Z variants with steel wheels.

MSIL also supports its vendors very well in times of crisis. I know multiple small-time vendors (running out of small cottage type of industries, making small components) who are going on only because Maruti has intentionally kept them aside some share of the business (in spite of bigger suppliers around, who could give more competitive prices). Same policy is being followed at SMC as well.
Viju is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 08:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

That is real bad stuff. There should always be more sub vendors in place for every bought out component for such a large manufacturer.
Proper vendor development activities need to be employed to tide over such untoward incidents.
Old 31st May 2016, 08:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's official statement - Production rumored to be resumed later today!

Fire at compressor vendor unit of Maruti. Production affected-capture.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 09:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I got to hear that Maruti is mulling the option to pre-pone its bi-annual maintenance shutdown by a few weeks to coincide with this forced shutdown. They have 2 concerns for this plan- they do not have the ready machinery for the maintenance of the lines for 2 of its most popular models. They might go in for phased shutdown of the different lines. But even then the workers might not agree to reschedule their holiday plans.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 09:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am just glad that for a fire this size, no casualties have been reported
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 11:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

One of our Sales Team member had a meeting at Subros later today but we rescheduled because of this tragic incident.

Glad that no casualties reported.
Old 31st May 2016, 17:16   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Another update from a Team-BHP Fan:

Quote:
Production further suspended entire day today, and in 1st shift tomorrow
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 20:21   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti plants remain shut; production loss to reach 10,000 units, expected to resume tomorrow's second shift

Quote:
MSIL produces about 2500 units of cars in each shift. The production suspension started since second shift Monday after one of its supplier's plant was brought down due to fire.

The suspension in production will further increase the waiting period on the popular models such as Vitara Brezza and Baleno which already have long 6-8 months of waiting period.
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...units/52523632
Old 31st May 2016, 22:59   #14
BHPian

For a company of this big size, it's really interesting that they have no backup or raw material inventory in stock. Fire at vendor facilty on 30th stops production on 31st only. I am also into manufacturing business and i can't think of working with this scanty raw material, either I am missing something or MSIL has taken "lean manufacturing" to an another level.
amit_snk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 03:22   #15
BANNED

Will supply to Maruti Suzuki from Noida facilities: Subros

Quote:
Auto component maker Subros is working to supply to its customers, including Maruti Suzuki India which has suspended production, from its facilities in Noida following the fire at its Manesar unit.

While it has not set a time line for restarting operations at the Manesar facility that was destroyed in a fire on Sunday, the company said it is working "expeditiously" to resume production at the fire-wrecked plant.

"We have already started the process to resume supplies. We have facilities at Noida and Greater Noida as well as collaboration with Denso. We are looking at all options. Dispatches from other facilities will begin in a day or so," Subros Ltd Chairman Ramesh Suri.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/52520354.cms
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks