Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 22:04   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Toyota Corolla Altis Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.88 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I feel seat belts perhaps give 75% of the protection (ALL occupants must wear seatbelts) and airbags probably stretch it marginally to 85%.
Seat belts keep 75% of your body in the seat without being thrown forward.

But the rest 25% comprising of your neck and head would need every bit of protection required when they crash into the steering wheel. Afterall, what use is 75% of the body if the head is impacted? A reason why cars are rated 0 or a maximum of 1 if airbags are not present.

Watch any video of the NCAP videos on frontal and side impact tests, and you would surely be convinced about the usefulness of airbags. Yes, airbags are useless without seatbelts - but that doesn't mean airbags are over rated.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th March 2017 at 22:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 23:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla Altis Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.88 lakh

Looks good on the outside but for that ride height which is frankly ridiculous for such a big sedan. It looks as if the car is sitting on a jack.

Great to hear about airbags.
Old 31st March 2017, 11:26   #78
BANNED

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.88 lakh

Does the Corolla have the same built to last quality and reliability as the fortuner or Innova?
Old 31st March 2017, 11:52   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Besides, if its going to be chauffeur driven with the "malik" sitting in rear seat, then anyway the airbags provide max protection to the driver and passenger only, not so much to the rear seat passengers. Or am I mistaken about that?
Well, the chauffeur's life is just as important as the owner's so any feature that improves protection to the driver is always welcome. And the additional airbags are for protection from side impact, so it benefits the rear seat passengers too.
JonSnow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 12:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
Does the Corolla have the same built to last quality and reliability as the fortuner or Innova?
Obviously, there is no question about it. In fact, the Corolla itself was the first car that tagged Toyota as Reliable, Trouble Free Brand. And it's also Global Best Seller, and that speaks a lot about Reliability.

Although Innova & Fortuner are Ladder on Frame, the Monocoque Corolla shouldn't cause problem if it's not taken off road.

Jokes apart, the Corolla is one fine example of a car that makes owners (Non Enthusiastic) happy with what they care about most (Backseat Comfort & Reliability).
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 21:41   #81
BHPian

I think Toyota is here in the market for a loss on Altis this time. Clearly there are more diesels that sell in this segment, and they have been ignoring diesels like anything.

To start with, they are providing only 2 airbags in the Diesel, even basics such as front fog lamps and the infotainment system are available only as an accessory on even the top of the line Diesel, which retails for more than 2 million rupees OTR. Seriously Toyota? Spending more than 20 lakhs and still not getting even a basic infotainment system? That's really a bummer

Toyota Corolla Altis Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.88 lakh-alt.jpg
Toyota Corolla Altis Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 15.88 lakh-alt2.jpg

Probably one of the reasons I haven't seen even a single facelifted Altis in my Tier-3 city, but a lot of facelifted Octavia and the latest Elantra. A lot of new Fortuners, but absolute zero spotting of the new Altis so far.

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 23rd October 2017 at 21:44. Reason: added a line
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 09:28   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
To start with, they are providing only 2 airbags in the Diesel, even basics such as front fog lamps and the infotainment system are available only as an accessory on even the top of the line Diesel
You forgot the engine!
The Altis Diesel has "half an engine"
octane_100 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:45   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
You forgot the engine!
The Altis Diesel has "half an engine"
I didn't, but it's still not much of an issue for a chauffeur driven Sethji. At least they aren't providing the car without engine and engine being sold separately as standard accessory
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 11:52   #84
BHPian

We bought a Corolla Altis VL model in June 2018. It doesn't have automatic doors lock feature. After repeated emails to Toyota we have been told the reason for such a gross omission to be 7 airbags. They say that due to installation of airbags, the automatic door lock device has been removed.
I am still not convinced and would want to know more from our members.
Old 27th August 2018, 14:59   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay2010 View Post
We bought a Corolla Altis VL model in June 2018. It doesn't have automatic doors lock feature. After repeated emails to Toyota we have been told the reason for such a gross omission to be 7 airbags. They say that due to installation of airbags, the automatic door lock device has been removed.
Quite surprising! I am 99% certain our 2017 Corolla VL (7 airbags) comes with speed sensing auto-door locks as standard. Since I don't use the car, I can't say with 100% certainty but I will update if there's any difference.

Did Toyota themselves reply to you? Did you compare it with the brochure available online at the time of purchase and now?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 16:16   #86
BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't have automatic doors lock feature. After repeated emails to Toyota we have been told the reason for such a gross omission to be 7 airbags.
Are you referring to "Speed sensing auto door lock" function? I would be surprised if Altis does not have it as Yaris with 7 airbags has it. So the reason could not be 7 airbags.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 22:56   #87
BHPian

Quote:
We bought a Corolla Altis VL model in June 2018.
Hi, My 2018 corolla VL has this. Did you check when the speed sensing auto-lock is activated? It should do that at 20 kmph.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd September 2018 at 23:42. Reason: trimmed quoted post
shreevishnu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 11:21   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Just came across your post.

I have a 1.8 GL which was delivered in July 2018. The car does not have speed sensing door locks. This feature was omitted by Toyota when they updated the Altis range in June (I think). The GL, like the VL was also given 7 airbags. This was a great move, but the omission of the speed sensing door locks (which my 2010 GL has) is really silly.

I asked my dealer if this could be activated separately, but was given the same answer - not possible due to the addition of 7 airbags.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 15:53   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Just came across your post.

I have a 1.8 GL which was delivered in July 2018. The car does not have speed sensing door locks. This feature was omitted by Toyota when they updated the Altis range in June (I think). The GL, like the VL was also given 7 airbags. This was a great move, but the omission of the speed sensing door locks (which my 2010 GL has) is really silly.

I asked my dealer if this could be activated separately, but was given the same answer - not possible due to the addition of 7 airbags.
It would be really hard to do as a feature deletion as all the necessary hardware (vehicle speed sensor, door lock automatic actuators, the harnesses and controllers) are part of standard equipment.
I would re-check once again, maybe in the owners manual. Dealers are a mixed bag, so I wouldnt be too sure on their capabilities/info.
Old 26th September 2018, 16:55   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Hi ,

Oh , that's really sad. My 2015 G model has it. The doors gets automatically locked after crossing 20km/hr. mark.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks