Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 11:29   #61
BHPian

Re: July 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks for this analysis.

For Honda, if we are correct to assume that the falling numbers for City is due to the shift in petrol variant demand and Honda is managing to accordingly make changes in their production and to dispose the diesels first, how could the same demand shift towards petrol not affect the rising numbers for Brezza, that’s currently only available in diesel or are these numbers after considering the missed opportunities for Petrol Brezza? Can only see these numbers roof topping once they comes up with the petrol then.

Or it could be due to the better petrol I-Vtec with Honda and when Maruti is still struggling to decide on a capable petrol engine for Brezza (from 1.2 K series to 1.0 turbo).

What is happening to Ford Aspire though still remains a mystery. A huge price cut when Maruti and Hyundai are going northwards with their pricing.

Last edited by CarMind : 10th August 2016 at 11:34.
CarMind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 11:56   #62
BHPian

In my opinion, Honda's customer base is primarily city dwelling people of mostly Tier-1 cities. These people prefer petrol over diesel owing to less mileage. Also popularity of premium hatchbacks and compact SUVs with all features covered are eating a pie of Honda's sales. Major chunk of people who wanted to upgrade to City have done so in last 2 years and now they are shifting to Ciaz for VFM purpose and Creta for premium feel. I pesonally think the customer base has really come down for Honda. Jazz is not the preferred choice in premium hatchback and that is hurting them most. I own a 2016 Jazz and it skips on features but not on price, so a little price correction should help the matters but as they say, "HONDA IS HONDA". Honda has been shouting of market shift since last 3 months and by now they should have depleted their diesel inventory, so I don't buy this argument of theirs. Honda is hurting itself with dip in quality of their products and little arrogance of their A*S*S.

Last edited by varunswnt : 10th August 2016 at 11:58.
varunswnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 12:12   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
"

The Renault-Nissan combine also has the largest number of flops in their portfolio. It's only 3 cars (Kwid, Redigo, Duster) bringing in the numbers. Thus, I wouldn't say they have understood market dynamics. It's more of a machine gun approach of launching several cars, hoping that some click, unlike a precise sniper-like shot with 4 - 5 cars which get the formula spot on.
I agree to what you mentioned on most of the counts barring 1, that is to have precise 4 - 5 cars.
If you look at it other than Lodgy and the Go there has not been a car which has flopped from the latest releases. And looking at what is in stock from Renault in terms of Kaptur and Nissan Kicks, looks like they are headed in the right direction.
Old 10th August 2016, 16:34   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

SIAM releases the passenger auto sales -Passenger car sales recover in July, UVs shine, industry notches 13.22% YoY growth.

Quote:
Passenger car sales which had dipped 5.18% in June to 154,237 units, have risen to 177,604 units in July, up 9.62% year on year. Utility vehicle manufacturers have posted their second best-ever sales this calendar year – 64,105 units (+41.85%), clearly pointing out to the standout success of the Maruti Vitara Brezza and the Hyundai Creta, among others.
In March 2016, UV sales had hit 64,252 units (21.32%) – the highest in at least two years.
July 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-julyindustry.jpg

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th August 2016 at 16:38.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 16:58   #65
BHPian

Ford has responded to dwindling sales of Figo twins by offering aggressive discounts and offers. Similar stint on Ecosport helped it push its sales. Both Figo and Aspire are competent vehicles. But nobody would buy them because similar vehicles are available from other manufacturers in the market. Would price cut divert those on few-month-long waiting list for baleno delta and zeta to figo titanium? Hopefully. I expect they (figo and aspire) sell a total of 5-6K this month. I hope Ford carries this offer also to the international markets where it exports.
http://www.carwale.com/news/ford-cut...s-90000-24422/
Old 10th August 2016, 17:25   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif_baig View Post

Case in point would be what a company like Mahindra did - building on it's image as a maker of frugal and rugged vehicles, first branched out into making a Scorpio and went even further via XUV5OO. Then decided to also target the other end of the market with TUV and KUV. It might have gained market share initially by either presenting a tremendous value proposition like XUV5OO which brought SUV "premiumness" within reach to many at a much lesser cost that other vehicles available in this segment. Or it brought in products which were mean to bring SUV'ish appeal to other segments such as in the case of KUV.

It's perception might have been hurt by the quality of these products once launched. However, these products were beneficial from the perspective of widening it's base of customers.

Just my 2 p.
I agree with you. However, if you see, Mahindra did not deviate from their 'core appeals' much. TUV 300 is a rugged SUVish vehicle with similar build quality to the Scorpio/XUV. I haven't personally experienced the KUV yet but reading the reviews and the 'ok-ok' Sales numbers, I don't think Mahindra will see heavy success out of this.
As far as the Figo or the Figo Aspire are concerned, they just simply don't feel like Ford cars. Neither the new Figo (despite having more powerful engine) feels as good as the old Figo, nor the Aspire feels as good as the Classic/Fiesta. I agree with you about the 'widening of customer base' but it should be done the way they did it with the EcoSport. By launching the poorly built Figo twins, Ford has risked ruining their market positioning that had characterized them. Even though they are VFM cars, I don't want a VFM car from Ford; I want a well built car with a 'live' hydraulic steering. And I think that's what is hurting the sales of these good but un-Ford like products.
mrinmoy_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 22:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have had both. Corolla diesel is more pleasant to drive
The old Innova vs Corolla had one clear winner: The Corolla. The comparison with the new version takes a turn.

With the new version and the steep pricing, I think the Innova is worth it for the chauffeur driven kind as they have the option of a 7 seater version.

Who bought a Corolla diesel for the driving experience? There's always the manual Octavia.
Old 10th August 2016, 22:55   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
The old Innova vs Corolla had one clear winner: The Corolla. The comparison with the new version takes a turn.

With the new version and the steep pricing, I think the Innova is worth it for the chauffeur driven kind as they have the option of a 7 seater version.
Didn't understand what you mean by that. The 7 seat option was available in last Innova too. I think it depends upon the needs. For exclusive chauffeur driven people, the Altis is an equally good car. What is the point of carrying all those extra seats with you all the time at the cost of low fuel efficiency. Also comfort wise the Altis is very comfortable.

Quote:
Who bought a Corolla diesel for the driving experience? There's always the manual Octavia.
I was comparing it with Innova. Out of the two the Altis is way better to drive in all aspects.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 14:59   #69
BHPian

Again, a comprehensive analysis. Thanks again.

For the sake of comparison of top 10 manufacturers
1. Maruti - 125764
2-10 Hyndai to VW - 125971.

Maruti manages to just about match total sales figures of no. 2 to 10 put together. That's a big WOW.

GM showing all the models on the decline month after month. Do they not know what problems they are facing? It's only time GM and Skoda say bye-bye.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 13:38   #70
Team-BHP Support

I think I get why people make a beeline for Marutis - I had a taste of the famed service at Trinity Motors, Nagarbhavi, Bangalore.

I just had a (free) lunch with employees of the service station, at their tiny canteen!

I'm stuck here at the service station because of an infuriating wheel alignment issue, which no independent shop has been able to solve so far. I told the service advisor I'd go home, have lunch and come back. That's when I was invited to have lunch with them instead!
SmartCat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 23:11   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
The same goes with Baleno, which is giving a stiff fight to the Elite i20, losing only by a few hundred numbers!
Actually Baleno sold more units than i20, but i20 numbers consists for i20 Active too which contribute 1,705 units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
[*]Ford Endeavour dethrones the King Toyota Fortuner in the D2 segment. How many saw this coming? I understand that a facelift is expected for Fortuner but even then it's an achievement for Ford. Hope Ford does not go overboard and sink.
Endeavor had already dethroned Fortuner during the month of Apr, but this is it's highest ever month of sales since the launch of new version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
The percentage jump in most Maruti models appear quite high. Maybe a case of logistical debottle-necking. Will keenly look for numbers next month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Again, a comprehensive analysis. Thanks again.

For the sake of comparison of top 10 manufacturers
1. Maruti - 125764
2-10 Hyndai to VW - 125971.

Maruti manages to just about match total sales figures of no. 2 to 10 put together. That's a big WOW.
Though this is the highest ever sales month for Maruti, in terms of Market Share, May '16 was the highest ever with 49.34% whereas for Jul '16 it is 49.17% (see the below table for Market shares for this year).

Name:  Jul 16 Sales  Market Share.png
Views: 3276
Size:  17.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Tiago looks nice and is a decent vehicle. However, we have to see if it manages to continue selling in high numbers. Remember the Zest's early months?
Tiago is indeed a competent vehicle and also a VFM product from Tata. I also do think that Tiago is one of the reason for decrease in sales for Ford Figo.

I hope Tiago will be able to maintain this numbers since Tiago's numbers started going up gradually from the launch of the vehicle which is a very good sign of customer's trust, whereas Zest's numbers were indeed reverse, started on a high of mid 3.5K levels and continued to drop and now settled around 1.8-2K levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Tiago is a great product from Tata. Am seeing good number of cars now in Bangalore. 5K+ numbers are very encouraging. I'm not sure if Zest did manage to touch 5K numbers at its launch time?
Zest never manages to touch 5K even once, the highest it touched was 3,835 way back in Nov '14 which was its 4th month from launch.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 07:09   #72
BANNED

Sorry for late reply but I couldn't let this pass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
I saw a picture where a Maruti Baleno rear ends a VW Jetta, and the images of the aftermath were shocking, where Baleno's front was crushed like paper and Jetta was left with minor dent at rear bumper.
This is exactly as it should be. All cars have a "crumple zone" in the front to protect the driver/passengers. If the Jetta rear-ended the Baleno it is the Jetta that should have crumpled. (The Wiki link above has a Jetta front-crumple picture, but not the current Indian model.)
Old 13th August 2016, 15:27   #73

Thanks Aditya for the numbers. Is it possible to have segment wise fuel type sales distribution? If not the exact numbers, percentage figures would help to identify current market trend with recent narrowed down gap between petrol and diesel prices. Many are claiming that the petrol era is back but looking the Brezza figures it doesn't look to be true. On the other hand, Ameo was launched with only petrol engine option in spite of availability of competent diesel motor in VW's basket. Are we still lying into a grey area and still waiting for the transition to take place? Is the industry still on the fence and couldn't decide the exact trend?
Old 14th August 2016, 12:50   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by do-od-do View Post
Is it possible to have segment wise fuel type sales distribution?
Fuel-wise sales figures have stopped coming for quite a while now. If you check out the SOURCE of the data, they don't have it there.

Although I do agree that the availability of this figure would be tremendous from an analysis perspective, especially to see the truth in Honda's claims of dwindling sales figures due to market shift to petrol!
Old 18th August 2016, 08:28   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi has become the fifth-largest market in passenger vehicle sales, pipping Kerala.

July 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-53749678.jpg
Quote:
Preference for petrol vehicles touched a new five-year high of 56% at the end of FY16. The share of petrol vehicles in overall passenger vehicles sold in the country increased even more since to 60.4% as of July this year.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th August 2016 at 08:30.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks