Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2006, 12:35   #16
BHPian

If i may ask, is this question applicable to the Tuscan as well?
I know the tuscan has been selling well, probably becasue it's a CRDI !!
An Innova seems more practical and has can be customized on space/utility, comfort and efficiency.

-Neel
Old 12th October 2006, 12:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel
Dude, you are talking about the TUCSON, right? When you say selling well, I'm not sure if it comes anywhere near the CRVs numbers though
Old 12th October 2006, 14:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I see a lot of them CRVs zipping around in Chennai. Not sure if I noticed any PYTs behind the wheel though. Nice car for city use. But then no one seems to have mentioned its low FE (surprising bcos Honda is usually know for cars with good FE).

@suman, how about "Reclaiming life. Josh se" ?
Old 12th October 2006, 14:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno

@suman, how about "Reclaiming life. Josh se" ?
Well, SB, you know how it is....the Josh machine makes way for the "reclaim your life" beast so......but a good one nonetheless and I will keep this in mind
Old 12th October 2006, 14:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Yes, I see a lot of them CRVs zipping around in Chennai. Not sure if I noticed any PYTs behind the wheel though. Nice car for city use. But then no one seems to have mentioned its low FE
Well maybe chennai PYTs have different tastes! In delhi, PYT in a CRV is a HOT combo and they are often sited at the right places ... (One more car that seems to be a fav of the ladies is the Chevy optra)
As for the question, (why should someone buy a Honda CRV?) IMO, no-one actually should... Way better cars in that range... But the reason that it has been selling is:
H = HONDA;
"BIG car";
Easy to drive coz of MT...
P.S.- One cant expect the "SUVs" to be frugal.. So its FE doesnt deserve a mention..
Old 12th October 2006, 14:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
When you say selling well, I'm not sure if it comes anywhere near the CRVs numbers though
Yes when the CRV sells 100 Tucson sells 25 or 30. The Tucson is the world's tenth best brand according to JD Power's study but it seems Indians dont know what a good vehicle is. Tucson is ahead of CRV in technology, FE and performance. The Tucson has been a success everywhere excluding India.

The Hero Honda bikes has given the "H" badge a lot of advantage.
Old 12th October 2006, 14:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a
P.S.- One cant expect the "SUVs" to be frugal.. So its FE doesnt deserve a mention..
Two issues with this logic. One, this is not your typical SUV, as in heavy, spacious, offroader etc. Two, it is a Honda, known for squeezing the last bit from each drop of fuel.

Maybe this PYT+CRV thing has some logic to it, after all. I remember my friend's 5-year old son in the US, saying "girlie car", on spotting a CRV.
Old 13th October 2006, 00:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

> The Hero Honda bikes has given the "H" badge a lot of advantage.

I agree the 'H' brand is revered in India, but dont think it got anything to do with Hero Honda.

Lets give Honda some credit. They are yet to produce a dud. OHC,NHC,Accord,CRV and now Civic - all are good cars, eventhough some might say NHC is slightly overpriced....
Old 13th October 2006, 01:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Have you ever looked at the ground clearance of a CRV - not much more than a City- rear suspension is pretty low.

M
arent we talking of 170mm vs. 205mm? thats 20% more!!

Last edited by subbarp : 13th October 2006 at 01:21.
Old 13th October 2006, 01:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel
If i may ask, is this question applicable to the Tuscan as well?
An Innova seems more practical and has can be customized on space/utility, comfort and efficiency.

-Neel
Innova suffers from the image problem having been embraced by the premium taxi segment. thats about it.

You would buy CRV or Tucson vs an Innova for a 'statement'.
Old 13th October 2006, 08:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
I heard someone say that Honda's SUVs and MUVs are originally manufactured by Isuzu. Is it true?
The Honda Passport was same as the Isuzu Rodeo and the Acura CLX was badged version of Isuzu Trooper. This was done to buy time so that they can work on their inhouse designs.

In return, Isuzu got the Gen1 Odyssey to sell as the Isuzu Oasis. Honda also borrowed an 1.7 diesel for the Euro Civic at one time for the same reason.
Old 13th October 2006, 09:09   #27
BHPian

I think people prefer CR-V or any soft roader to sedans mainly because of its higher driving position. Since, all these soft roaders have the drive feel of a sedan, its not really all that different than owning an Accord or Sonata. On bad roads, the ride will definitely be better in these UVs. These are also more visible status symbols!

The previous generation CR-V looked a lot more up scale than Tucson, in my opinion. Also, Tucson looks rather small compared to the CR-V. In general, Honda wins with their overall packaging.

I for one think if CR-V or Tucson come with the third row seat, their popularity will only increase. At least in the US, four/ all wheel drive soft roaders are attractive to people who might encounter snow/ ice during winter but otherwise don't go offroad and those who also want a higher driving position.

But in Indian conditions, I would personally prefer a truck based SUV with selectable 4x4. I don't think the CR-V is worth its 50% premium over TATA Safari.
Old 13th October 2006, 09:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The original Passport was
Yep, and had the same reliability problems as the Isuzu Rodeo.
Old 13th October 2006, 09:19   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Tucson is the world's tenth best brand according to JD Power's study but it seems Indians dont know what a good vehicle is.
You are talking about Tuscon or Hyundai - where does Honda figure ?

Quote:
Tucson is ahead of CRV in technology, FE and performance. The Tucson has been a success everywhere excluding India.
I see more CRV's in Europe and the US - you have any figures to back this ?
Also please give facts why the Tuscon is ahead in technology. FE will obviously be better here as we get only the diesel. Best to compare like for like

BTW - are you the pro Hyundai Adarsh on the Indiacar forum who keeps giving out team bhp links ?
Old 13th October 2006, 11:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
You are talking about Tuscon or Hyundai - where does Honda figure ?

I see more CRV's in Europe and the US - you have any figures to back this ?
Also please give facts why the Tuscon is ahead in technology. FE will obviously be better here as we get only the diesel. Best to compare like for like

BTW - are you the pro Hyundai Adarsh on the Indiacar forum who keeps giving out team bhp links ?
I'm talking about Tucson over the CRV in the JD Power Study. But hyundai fared better than Honda and even Toyota in the Initial Quality Study. Check this link:
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...asp?ID=2006082

Another recent study where Tucson was tied with Saturn Vue.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...09/024416.html

Technological Advantages of Tucson over CRV:

Tucson has Traction Control System as well as ESC (Electronic Stability Control). More information on ESC are available in various websites. And also Autocar in their magazine (which is supposed to be the best authentic magazine in India) has given in their verdict that it is a worthy alternative to the CRV. Yes, I agree to you that CRV is a petrol engine and Tucson is a Diesel. But only both are present right now as competitors in that segment. So comparison has to be made. The verdict (number of stars) or both Tucson and CRV are same in the Autocar website:

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Road...ls.asp?ID=1097 - For Tucson
http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Road...ls.asp?ID=1060 - For CRV

I also have a query. The hyundai website says Tucson has rear disc brakes whereas CRV doesnt have. I'm not quite sure about that.

I didnt say Tucson sells more than CRV outside India. I said it has been a success and not a failure like it faced in India. I have read it on certain websites and I need to find it again. Will surely post whenever I find it.

Last I'm not pro hyundai or pro-any brand except cars like Bugatti Veyron, Lambhorgini Murcielago, Bentleys etc. I'm pro hyundai only to those people who are just anti hyundai without any proper reason.

Speaking about Indiacar forum, it definitely lacks moderators or administrators like here. As a result there has been a lot of senseless bashing on other brands including Hyundai from pro Honda people. The funny factor is that the pro Honda guys just support the NHC rather than Honda's better cars like Civic and Accord. Now the situation there is that even the genuine pro Honda guys have turned pro Hyundai just to speak against such people and not due to any rivalry against Honda.

Most Viewed