Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2006, 11:30   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
I'm talking about Tucson over the CRV in .................................................. ................
even the genuine pro Honda guys have turned pro Hyundai just to speak against such people and not due to any rivalry against Honda.
Cool, just that I see your name in bright lights over there getting hell

Back to topic....
Old 13th October 2006, 11:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp
arent we talking of 170mm vs. 205mm? thats 20% more!!
That 20% sounds good but its less than an inch & a half in real life isn't it? To me that's LOW considering we're comparing a sedan with a (so-called) SUV
Old 13th October 2006, 12:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
That 20% sounds good but its less than an inch & a half in real life isn't it? To me that's LOW considering we're comparing a sedan with a (so-called) SUV
On the other hand, consider the wannabe off-roaders like Fusion and Adventure, which provide around 190-200mm of ground clearance. The CRV should be able to handle rougher roads than these guys at least.

At least CRV doesnt make a pretense of being an SUV, and gives rock-climbing, dune-jumping ads like a true SUV (Safari/Endy) or off-roading like MPVs (Fusion/Adventure).
(Heck - havent seen any ad for the CRV so far)

The only ppl who think its an SUV are the dumb showroom salesmen.

PS - 200 mm is the minimum clearance required for private vehicles in most of our national parks.
Old 13th October 2006, 12:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
On the other hand, consider the wannabe off-roaders like Fusion and Adventure, which provide around 190-200mm of ground clearance. The CRV should be able to handle rougher roads than these guys at least.

At least CRV doesnt make a pretense of being an SUV, and gives rock-climbing, dune-jumping ads like a true SUV (Safari/Endy) or off-roading like MPVs (Fusion/Adventure).
(Heck - havent seen any ad for the CRV so far)

The only ppl who think its an SUV are the dumb showroom salesmen.

PS - 200 mm is the minimum clearance required for private vehicles in most of our national parks.
Goldie, the remark is to be taken in context of Ajmat's comment where he pointed out (rightly so) that the ground clearance of the CRV is not much more than a City.

I don't think the Adventure or Fusion call themselves SUVs or even City Recreational Vehicles....apart from the fact that they are one third the price of the CRV!

I agree with you that we don't see any pretentious ads about the CRV but apart from the dumb salesmen, a few of our fellow bhpians also think that it's the best off-roader available to us hence....

Last edited by suman : 13th October 2006 at 12:24.
Old 13th October 2006, 12:37   #35
BHPian

Why would someone buy a CRV?

because it is designed for society that believes in Freedom to choose.

Auto companies have researched that most owners who buy SUVs dont really go offroad. Only small number of people actually go offroad.
Hence the CRV product - goal of a corporation is to sell more and more cars. For honda hardcore SUV is not a profitable business!

I hope you understand now. If you like offroading, you can buy a mahindra jeep - with highest center of gravity, no power steering, split 4x4 design, leaf springs , no air bags, etc etc
Old 13th October 2006, 12:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Goldie, the remark is to be taken in context of Ajmat's comment where he pointed out (rightly so) that the ground clearance of the CRV is not much more than a City.
Ok, while we are on this topic, could someone point out the GC of true SUVs like Safari or Endy or even Tucson. How "much more" are they compared to a sedan ?

Got it -
Safari - 195 mm (fully loaded)
Tucson - 191 mm
Endy - 210 mm
CRV - 205 mm (unloaded)

And consider Aveo - 185 mm, and Fusion - 198 mm.

If GC was all that was required for off-roading, even the Fusion should have beat the Safari hollow (cant believe I am even thinking abt it )

Quote:
a few of our fellow bhpians also think that it's the best off-roader available to us hence....
now that would make some interesting reading ...

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 13th October 2006 at 12:54.
Old 13th October 2006, 13:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

VERY interesting stats Goldie......I'm learning! Just shows that looks can be deceptive...I wonder if the criteria applied is the same for all of them though, I would suppose they are
Old 13th October 2006, 13:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
>
Lets give Honda some credit. They are yet to produce a dud. OHC,NHC,Accord,CRV and now Civic - all are good cars, eventhough some might say NHC is slightly overpriced....
Actually no Honda has produced a dud - the previous generation Accord. It didn't sell well enough compared to its competitors and certainly not good enough by Honda's own lofty standards.
Old 13th October 2006, 14:20   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Actually no Honda has produced a dud - the previous generation Accord. It didn't sell well enough compared to its competitors and certainly not good enough by Honda's own lofty standards.
It didnt sell well coz it was not as bling as the earlier Sonata, and was a lot costlier too.
Old 13th October 2006, 15:11   #40
BHPian

Some of you guys are right that this is a Soccer Mom car..

In US, I have seen only middle aged ladies driving CRV.

Men/Boys prefer huge GM/Ford trucks/SUVs.. I drove Ford Explorer and Jeep for few months. The experience is unforgettable.. You cannot even think of comparing the same with CRV.

As GTO mentioned, it is pointless vehicle.. Spend few extra bucks and go for accord..
Old 13th October 2006, 15:22   #41
Team-BHP Support

well Crv is a good mile chomper on an average indian highway, not the crater ridden ones, but rather the general broken tarmac we find in south india, its brilliant, you can keep steady 120-140 without any fuss of scrapping underbody and broken alloys, high driving position very confidence inspiring and generally the head lights and riding lights good enough to demand respect from opposite side traffic irrespective of the size

mileage will be somwhere around 10 and if u really manage to hold 80-100 u might get 11 best in highway, city anything between 8-10 lol culprit is that transmission with perm 4 wheel drive

word of caution, people sitting behind can get thrown around and land on their bum if not belted up, double careful while u have kids behind

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th October 2006 at 15:28.
Old 13th October 2006, 15:46   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In India - Yes. But in the United States (which was the market of intention) it sold extremely well. I believe it was the best selling sedan for a year or two.
Old 18th October 2006, 11:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Today's Wheels section of The Hindu has an article on the new CRV (based on the Civic platform) with pics. The square boxy looks are gone. And it delivers the same power as the previous one, but with a 400cc lesser engine.
Old 18th October 2006, 12:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

New CRV pics.

Old 18th October 2006, 12:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand
As GTO mentioned, it is pointless vehicle.. Spend few extra bucks and go for accord..
well .. what is pointless is comparing an Accord to a CRV
both are vehicles belonging to different categories and when people compare they don't look at price as the only factor.

for e.g. when we were planning to go in for a big car 3 years ago we weren't thinking CRV vs. Accord; instead it was more like Sedan vs. Softroader.

Sedan won as we felt that a soft-roader was OK as a second big car but not as the first. Now we'll probably pick up the new CRV as a second big car.

Last edited by manveet : 18th October 2006 at 12:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks