Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2016, 19:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: October 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Is Renault still manufacturing the Scala? Just 14 cars sold in October!! The Scala is a good VFM car which does not cost a bomb and offers excellent space for the price. The top end diesel Scala is pretty well loaded too. Renault should look to plonk the AMT on the Scala to increase its appeal.
Scala used to come with an automatic transmission (cvt?). The current lineup offers none. AMT would be a step backwards IMO. A car in this segment deserves a proper autobox.
Old 15th November 2016, 21:02   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Scala used to come with an automatic transmission (cvt?). The current lineup offers none. AMT would be a step backwards IMO. A car in this segment deserves a proper autobox.
Scala had automatic variants (CVT) in both petrol and diesel. Renault has discontinued both models for some reason.
Old 15th November 2016, 21:09   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawrie View Post
Scala had automatic variants (CVT) in both petrol and diesel. Renault has discontinued both models for some reason.

Scala was offered with a petrol automatic (CVT). The same which is their in the Nissan Sunny. No diesel auto was offered.
Old 15th November 2016, 22:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Well if the Duster (and the Terrano for that matter) can have an AMT, then why not the Scala? Both the Duster and Terrano are more expensive than the Scala. If buyers of those cars can accept an AMT, then I don't see any reason why buyers looking for Scala like cars shouldn't.
Old 16th November 2016, 09:04   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well if the Duster (and the Terrano for that matter) can have an AMT, then why not the Scala? Both the Duster and Terrano are more expensive than the Scala. If buyers of those cars can accept an AMT, then I don't see any reason why buyers looking for Scala like cars shouldn't.
Renault discontinued the petrol CVT because no one was buying it. Even the scala CVT review thread in this forum did not go beyond 2 pages, which kind of shows the disinterest in the car. In addition the sunny CVT is also available(and it still is). A CVT is definitely superior to an AMT and hence a scala amt is not going to find any takers considering the CVT itself did not sell.

A diesel amt makes more sense. But the general opinion was that even the duster should have come with a proper AT considering the price it comes at. I doubt if the duster amt is selling in any significant number. But considering overall sales are reasonably good and the duster has some USPs, the risk was worth it. The scala does not even sell in 3 digits and a diesel amt is not going to get the sales zooming. Not worth in my humble opinion

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 16th November 2016 at 09:07.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 09:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I doubt if the duster amt is selling in any significant number.
Renault is offering Duster AMT for Price of Manual Version, this itself makes it easier for genuine buyer who needs & values the convenience of Automatic to get one. In fact 30-40% of the Duster Sales are from AMT. Those looking for Manual Transmission are buying the AWD/85PS version.

Regarding Scala, it's done & dusted, the only reason it's still on sale is that they don't have another Sedan in thier line up.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 16th November 2016 at 09:31.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 14:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well if the Duster (and the Terrano for that matter) can have an AMT, then why not the Scala?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Renault discontinued the petrol CVT because no one was buying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Regarding Scala, it's done & dusted, the only reason it's still on sale is that they don't have another Sedan in thier line up.
Participated in this discussion only because recently, I had the chance to take a short trip in one of my colleague's Scala RXL CVT.
The car is nice with very good space, big trunk, and a smooth gearbox which did not feel lethargic in the short 30 min trip. Pity that it does not sell more.
Rajeevraj is right - Scala/Duster/Terrano all deserves proper AT/CVT boxes. AMT is best restricted to entry level hatchbacks.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 15:16   #53
BHPian

I am glad to note that Tata Motors nudged past Honda to claim the fourth position in terms of market share. Hopefully, Hexa (if priced right) could give a further leg up to the Tata Motors overall position or extend the lead over Honda.

It is a different matter though that in terms of revenue, Tata Motors has a lot of catching-up to do.
Old 22nd November 2016, 06:52   #54
BHPian

Any idea why Verna is clocking such low numbers while City and Ciaz are doing great?
Old 22nd November 2016, 07:44   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Any idea why Verna is clocking such low numbers while City and Ciaz are doing great?
Simple. Verna is not an exciting car anymore. Aged, costly, over-designed and ill-handling.
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Simple. Verna is not an exciting car anymore. Aged, costly, over-designed and ill-handling.
Agreed. Also, it isn't as Spacious as Rivals.

Quote:
The Verna's Honeymoon Period is over, it doesn't have that same appeal it had when launched in 2011. It was a segment leader at that time, but not so anymore. With New Model arriving next year, it will have to be unique to impress the buyers. The reason the 2011 Fluidic Verna was so successful was because it had Unique Styling. The Fluidic Lines were not seen before & this was the game changer for them, as a product it was decent.

We had a 2007 SX4, the only Suitable Replacement was the Verna (New Car, Styling, Diesel). There was also Vento, but it didn't impress us that much apart from its Diesel Engine. In 2011 we bought Verna SX(O) in Purple Color. It was sold in January this year & was replaced by Better & the Current Segment Best, Honda City Diesel. I will say this, the City is way better then Verna. And unlike the Initial Models, it has been niggle free so far.
Thanks Honda.
Old 22nd November 2016, 09:30   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday Hyundai has announced that it crossed the 7 millionth car milestone in terms of manufacturing. Not sure exactly how many of the 7 million were exports but I'd think the majority were sold right here in the country. Historically this is the fastest any manufacturer has gotten to the 70 lakh mark - it took only 2 decades primarily because the market has evolved by lightyears only in the past decade as the purchasing power and noveau-riche aspirations both peaked.

This major announcement comes only 3 years after the October 2013 celebrations of 5 millionth vehicle produced happened. So mathematically :

*Past 3 years - 20 lakh vehicles produced @ 6.66 lakh vehicles p.a average.

*Since commencement of production from 1998 until 2013 50 lakh vehicles were manufactured @ 3.33 lakh vehicles p.a average - exactly half.

*Hyundai seems to have set a goal to reach 10 million production by 2021, a realistic average of 6 lakh p.a which may be quite possible given that its lower than the existing average and also accounts for a possible dip due to the demonetisation factor which may play a strong factor for sales dip for atleast a year.

Link:http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/55545460.cms

Mods - please do relocate wherever (if) suitable.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:38   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Reasons are plenty to number;

1. No rear AC vents and touch screen display.
2. Looks failing to impress the mass,
3. Pricey for the features on offer,
4. Interiors very similar to the previous gen fluidic.
5. Not as spacious as Ciaz or City esp for rear seat passengers.
6. Not as fuel efficient as Ciaz or City either.

Despite not being a bad car, the 4s suffers tha same phobia as the Fiat Linea,

"It does not manage sales because people do not crave to buy it. People do not buy it because it has no sales."

I bet, handling has improved considerably over the preveous gen fluidic Verna.
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:03   #59

Last year when I went shopping for my sedan, I saw all three cars Ciaz, City and Verna. City's looks appealed to me the most. So spacious and interiors looked nice. Ciaz lost in terms of engine power when i compared. Verna looked not so interesting in front of my city. It looked older and boring while City looked latest and dashing. Plus I heard auto gear box is not fun in Verna.

So I bought my City petrol automatic.
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:25   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
3. Pricey for the features on offer,
One reason being pricier is due to the bigger 1.6 L CRDI engine which puts it in the higher excise duty bracket than its chief competitors - City (1.5 L), Ciaz (1.3 L and SHVS), Vento (1.5 L), Rapid (1.5 L), but it is one of the better diesel engines on offer in India.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks