Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 03:32   #46
BHPian

Selective Yellow color fog lamps and DRL - Daytime Running Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince1a View Post
But when I approached the dealer, he said that yellow fog lights are banned in india.
IS there any truth in this ?
Sudden flurry of posts in Feb 2008 after a long break since October 2006!

Request mods to quote current MV rules and settle the issue once for all.

Here is what I found: http://www.bis.org.in/sf/ted/527.pdf

Please look at rule 7.1 on page 8

It says "Lamps with selective yellow colour are permitted only for lamps where selective yellow colour is permitted, e.g. front fog lamps."

Is this info correct?

Is the technical question of whether 'selective yellow' color is better for fog lamps settled yet among the scientists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I remember reading somewhere that in one of the European countries, they have 24 hrs headlight system due to excessive fog in that country.
Here is some info on Daytime Running Lights ("DRL", also "Daylight Running Lamps")

Daytime running lamp: Encyclopedia - Daytime running lamp

"DRL were first mandated in Scandinavian countries, where ambient light levels are generally low even during the day. Finland was the first country to require DRL in 1972. Sweden adopted the same requirement in 1977, Norway in 1986, Iceland in 1988, and Denmark in 1990."

"Public reaction to DRL, mostly positive in Canada, was decidedly mixed in the U.S. (where motorcycles have been required since 1976 to be wired so as to burn the low beam headlamp whenever the engine is running)."

"Scientific study of the value of DRLs has yielded widely divergent results."
Old 14th April 2008, 11:47   #47
BHPian

Yellow fog lamps

Fog lamps are supposed to be yellow. The longer the wavelength, the less it gets scattered by the fog particles. The colors in increasing order of wavelength are VIBGYOR. That's why red is used on the back of cars. It gets scattered the least and is therefore visible from larger distances.

It's funny how there are blue fog lamps in the market these days. In fact I was told by one lights shop guy that blue is the best in case of fog. It's another matter that the yellow ones I did buy ended up being useless because there was no fog this winter in Delhi (not severe anyway).
Old 14th April 2008, 12:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Here is a detailed discussion on yellow Fog lamps

Yellow fog lights? urban legend

This post & following ones have discussed fog lamps in detail
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:15   #49
Team-BHP Support

I have this query pertaining to Fog Lamps mounted on Bull Bars.
Are they Legal?
I understand that switching them in city etc., will be violating the law, but if they are switched off can you still be challaned.
Chandigarh police is known to challan vehicles with extra lights.
I went through the motor vehicle act and it directs me to a certain standard(BIS) which talks about auxilary fog lights.
That standard is not free.
So you have to pay money to find out what wattage and what height can fog lamps be mounted on SUV type vehicles, and under what conditions are you allowed to use them.
Old 20th January 2009, 17:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have this query pertaining to Fog Lamps mounted on Bull Bars.
Are they Legal?
I understand that switching them in city etc., will be violating the law, but if they are switched off can you still be challaned.
Chandigarh police is known to challan vehicles with extra lights.
I went through the motor vehicle act and it directs me to a certain standard(BIS) which talks about auxilary fog lights.
That standard is not free.
So you have to pay money to find out what wattage and what height can fog lamps be mounted on SUV type vehicles, and under what conditions are you allowed to use them.
I once was chatting to a traffic constable in Chandigarh who challaned me for jumping a Yellow light - and tried getting an idea on the major points the traffic police is on a lookout for. He mentioned that it's not illegal to get extra lights - but getting them installed over the headlight level is illegal - so you can have 4 fog lamps on ur SUV - but if it's below the headlamp level it's fine...so bull bar is a NO NO...
Old 20th January 2009, 19:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

In india fog lamps of any colour cannot be put above the headlights of the vehicle, its illegal. which is a good rule/law!

how a fog lamp works or how it is suppose to be used?

.... when you travel through foggy conditions, you switch off your headlights and switch on the fog lamps only, which spread their light on the road and not into the fog to make it worse.

if you use the headlights or extra lights placed above the headlights in the fog, it makes the fog dense and makes the visibility worse!

ever wondered why fog lamps are always placed below the headlights in the bumper?

cheers:
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 22:24   #52
BHPian

Re: Are Fog lights banned?

The Yellow lights are useful in fog (onroad/offroad) but if anyone allows that to be used in city traffic (Bangalore kind), the oncoming driver will be blinded which may not be good for the driver with yellow lights.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Shockked.gif

The blue lights were introduced saying that its useful for fog but in real scene, its not especially if there are a lot of oncoming traffic as well. The blue lights are helpful only (not in fog) for straight highway where no traffic lights exists; from what I have experienced. On a normal street, the company headlamps are good as they're a bit yellow-ish.

Greets,
Jacob
joommen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 13:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Does any manufacturer give yellow fogs as standard? For the ones that I can remember, its only white. And maybe its the coloured ones that are banned.
Santro came with yellow fog-lamps around '99.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 12:32   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer.ahuja81 View Post
I find my baleno's (new 2015 model) headlights inadequate during nights. ... Can you please help me if installing fog lamps (MGP) would help. What would be the cost and how helpful will it be? I have no idea about the options available.
Does your model Not have the fog lamps ? If it does not, then a good option is MGP - from the MASS itself. Remember, fog lamps are for near-range lighting only. And yellow is best for fog.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 12:40   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And yellow is best for fog.
This is one myth that is very hard to kill.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 13:43   #56

Any idea about the cost? Does it improve overall night driving experience as well especially in rainy conditions? I don't feel very confident driving at night in rains particularly
Old 30th November 2016, 14:26   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer.ahuja81 View Post
Any idea about the cost? Does it improve overall night driving experience as well especially in rainy conditions? I don't feel very confident driving at night in rains particularly
Fog lights can only do a good job of illuminating the immediate front of the car. Hence I doubt it will be helpful in rainy conditions. Problem with the rain is once the roads get wet, they dont reflect light and this with the stock headlights and absent lane markings in many of our roads leads to pathetic visibility during rain. Hence if you want to have 'better' visibility in the rain, either upgrade your headlights or add a set of aux lights. Fog lights will not do much of help.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 14:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Fog lights can only do a good job of illuminating the immediate front of the car. Hence I doubt it will be helpful in rainy conditions.
+1 to that. It is useful for foggy or low visibility conditions. Hence it is called fog lights. During rains at night, I suggest you slow down and drive carefully.
Old 16th October 2019, 18:48   #59
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Can someone please guide me to the official guideline regarding the placement of fog/auxiliary lamps? My car has them below the headlamps but cops have fined my brother after scaring him. I will be visiting the police station tomorrow. Unable to find the exact rule. Please help.
Old 16th October 2019, 19:19   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Can someone please guide me to the official guideline regarding the placement of fog/auxiliary lamps?
The basic, simple point is - no additional lights, esp outside the body of the car. You could get OE lamps fitted in the slot that your car has.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks