Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2018, 10:38   #136
Senior - BHPian

Army-spec Tata Safari's deliveries begin

Thanks to Vimal Rawat for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Back in 2017, Tata Motors signed a contract with the Ministry of Defence to supply 3,192 units of the Safari Storme 4x4 SUV to the Indian Armed Forces. Now, spy images indicate that deliveries for the same have commenced. The Army-spec Safari was seen being unloaded at a Tata yard in New Delhi. The Army-CVD (Central Vehicles Depot) is also located at Delhi.

The new images reveal some more details. The Safari gets a beige and black interior, individual reading lamps for the front and middle rows, along with a manual Subros air conditioning unit, ABS 9.1 and dual airbags. On the outside, changes include a matte green paint job exclusive for the Army, heavy duty rear tow hook, provision to attach jerry cans on the rear left side, as well as front and rear black-out lamps. Further, all the chrome bits have been either blackened out or painted in the same shade as the exterior colour.

The Army-spec Safari Storme is powered by the familiar 2.2-liter Varicor engine. In the standard car, it puts out 154 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 400 Nm of torque @ 1,750-2,500 rpm. The engine is paired with a 6-speed gearbox and a 4x4 low range box as standard.

The Safari was selected after undergoing a 15-month trial period. It comes under a new category of General Service 800 (GS800), which had three major requirements including an 800 kg payload, hard roof and air conditioning. Apart from this, the vehicle must also be equipped with 4x4 and be suitably modified as per other defence requirements. The Safari is touted to be the replacement for the Maruti Gypsy (GS500), which has been in service in the Army since 1991. All we can say is, our armed forces will enjoy the Safari Storme's awesome ride quality & space!

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img2902.jpg

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img2906.jpg

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img2907.jpg

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img2908.jpg

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img2912.jpg

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img2911.jpg

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img2910.jpg

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img2909.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 23rd April 2018 at 10:43.
blackwasp is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 23:45   #137
BHPian

Re: Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!

Guys,

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the gear lever knob is actually that of a 5 speed Storme (Varicor?). The one on the Varicor 400 is actually a silver finished one and looks quite different (el cheapo actually IMO).

Agreed that they could've just used the one from Hexa (looks similar) but I thought I'd read somewhere on the forum that these knobs are quite car specific and have some inbuilt weights which help control the NVH characteristics of Storme. Zooming in one of the above pics too seems to have only '3' straight H pattern, the extra one (for R) as on the V400 isn't visible!? Please correct if I am wrong.

Sorry for a bit longish post, just wanted to share my observation with explanation.
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 08:59   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Guys,

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the gear lever knob is actually that of a 5 speed Storme (Varicor?). The one on the Varicor 400 is actually a silver finished one and looks quite different (el cheapo actually

You have noticed it right. As per my knowledge, GS 800 has 5 speed forward gearbox.
Prateek19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 13:20   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
You have noticed it right. As per my knowledge, GS 800 has 5 speed forward gearbox.
So it's the older Varicor engine/tranny combo which has been offered by the TATAs to the army; wonder how/why the news got misinterpreted!?

Request mods to have this confirmed someway (if possible) and revise the thread likewise. I caught this news on some other websites as well and they're quoting team-bhp there.
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 15:35   #140
Senior - BHPian

Army-spec Tata Safari Storme soft-top revealed

Tata Motors has unveiled a 3-door, soft-top version of the Safari Storme GS800 for the Indian Army. The car was showcased at the recently concluded Defence Expo in Chennai.

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-storme2.jpg

The new car comes with an air-conditioned cabin and can seat five people. It has a payload capacity of 825 kg and comes equipped with recovery hooks, a jerry can and mobile charging points.

The vehicle on display was equipped with a Mobile Emergency Communication System (MECS) which includes an antenna and a mast. It enables one-way or two-way communication in case of an emergency. The system can also be converted into an LTE base station within 15 minutes by plugging in a 'Network in a Box' (NIB).

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-storme1.jpg

Under the hood is a 2.2-litre, turbocharged diesel engine paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox. The SUV gets all-wheel drive as standard. The Safari Storme GS800 is also available in a 5-door, hard-top body style.

In 2017, Tata Motors signed a contract with the Ministry of Defence to supply 3,192 units of the Safari Storme 4x4 SUV to the Indian Army.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 7th May 2018 at 15:36.
TusharK is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 17:10   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Army-spec Tata Safari Storme soft-top revealed

Err, but why? Don't they already have the Xenon? Why did they have to reverse engineer this thing.

Not able to understand the offering. Where exactly did this pass, and Xenon failed?
Dry Ice is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 17:26   #142
BHPian

May be the Xenon chassis doesn't meet the GSQR requirements

Last edited by indivic : 7th May 2018 at 17:29.
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 17:53   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Err, but why? Don't they already have the Xenon? Why did they have to reverse engineer this thing.

Not able to understand the offering. Where exactly did this pass, and Xenon failed?
The Storme is approved - hence reverse engineering this was logical & easier
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 00:26   #144
Senior - BHPian

Here is the video of the New Models of Indian Army walking the post production ramp!

Tata Safari in olive green walking the ramp. I am sure our beloved Bawa Ji had a Major hand in winning the IA bid for TATA.

Parm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 12:21   #145
BHPian

Can someone educate me what are those protruding cylinders (2 each on Right/Left side) on rear bumpers?
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-untitled.jpg  

Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 12:33   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Can someone educate me what are those protruding cylinders (2 each on Right/Left side) on rear bumpers?
Those are blackout lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_light
revved_up is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 12:34   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I think those are blackout lights (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_light).

I am sure better informed members will correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 15:21   #148
BHPian

Those blackout and stop lights appear to be poorly integrated:
- The blackout lamps (on either side) should have been recessed instead of being installed on the bumper and being prone to damage.
- The convoy stop lamp (illuminating the cross in the centre) has an after-market look with its exposed cable. Even the cross is clearly marked unevenly.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img2906.jpg  

Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 13:36   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Motors has unveiled a 3-door, soft-top version of the Safari Storme GS800 for the Indian Army. The car was showcased at the recently concluded Defence Expo in Chennai.
THIS IS IT -- the perfect successor to the Gypsy, Jonga, Mahindra MM550 etc, great grandchild of the Willys GP (General Purpose).

As I said before (and some others did, too), the Safari Storme hard top can at best be a senior officers' vehicle, or a special purpose vehicle in extreme climates, but for general use the forces need an open (soft top) light 4WD with towing and other properties. In 2WD mode this can serve some para-military forces (like the CRPF, CISF etc.) in urban and suburban areas.

Similar pickup types, mostly from Toyota, are in use all over the world, particularly in Asian countries ( Pakistan, Afghanistan) as troop carriers by military, para-military, and police forces.

Last edited by SnakemanJohny : 14th May 2018 at 13:44. Reason: Omission of point
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 09:30   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Safari Storme, on delivery mode!

Quote:
Brand new mil-spec Safari Stormes on a car transporter on their way to induction into the service
Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-32959165_1919267748136666_1546901444534206464_n.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks