Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2006, 15:30   #16
DRC
BHPian

True, But then, has maruti done anything to any of its products other than Wagon R and Swift. These are the only 2 models in its stead, it finally decided to compete in the market against Santro and Getz. Rest all there was no competetion or Maruti decided not to compete.

Classic example is Baleno. Care not it sells or not. Does it!
Old 24th October 2006, 02:20   #17

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

but if they replace the esteem with the swift sedan,they cannot offer it at the esteems price for the simple reason that the swift and the esteem cost nearly identical.the swift sedan will then be priced aginst the aveo 1.4,fiesta 1.4.in that case where does the baleno go.
Old 24th October 2006, 03:55   #18
elf
BANNED

If Maruti were going to be sensible about this, they would pitch the expected Swift sedan against the Aveo, Fiesta, etc. @ about 6.5-7.5 lakhs.

The existing Baleno could be dropped to the price of the current Esteem, @ about 5.25-5.75 lakhs.

Hence you'd have:
1. The 800/Omni : 2.00 - 2.25 lakhs.
2. The Alto : 2.3 - 3.00 lakhs.
3. The Zen/Wagon R: 3.25 - 4.25 lakhs.
4. The Swift (hatch) : 4.00 - 5.25 lakhs.
5. The Baleno: 5.25 - 5.75 lakhs.
6. The Swift sedan : 6.5 - 7.5 lakhs

(Prices above are just approximations, so don't yell if some are off the mark).
Old 24th October 2006, 04:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Cannot teach an old dog new tricks. Better leave it alone as long as there is a market for it.
Old 24th October 2006, 07:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentt
....... the picture above looks cool, Maruti if you are seeing this, you got a free design in hand.
Errrrrrrr .......... Really? That design is, to put it mildly, 'different'.
Old 24th October 2006, 08:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Swift sedan cant be positioned above the existing Baleno! I am quite sure Maruti will not price it that high - They cant do no wrong with the Swift! Around 50K on top of the hatch and its Bye-Bye to Indigo/Ikon/Accent!
Old 24th October 2006, 09:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

improvements that can be made in the car are in the doors, side mirrors, climate control, aircon vents, better positioning of the front speakers, etc.

but, yes, inspite of it's 'dated' looks, there are plenty of us who adore the car for its looks among many other things which are yet to be bettered by any of its present day contemporaries. i guess we outnumber the guys who think it is 'dated'. cheers

and boy does it sell ? it sure does.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 24th October 2006 at 09:04.
Old 25th October 2006, 01:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
If Maruti were going to be sensible about this, they would pitch the expected Swift sedan against the Aveo, Fiesta, etc. @ about 6.5-7.5 lakhs.

The existing Baleno could be dropped to the price of the current Esteem, @ about 5.25-5.75 lakhs.

4. The Swift (hatch) : 4.00 - 5.25 lakhs.
5. The Baleno: 5.25 - 5.75 lakhs.
6. The Swift sedan : 6.5 - 7.5 lakhs

(Prices above are just approximations, so don't yell if some are off the mark).
and sir,where would the new baleno go.i dont think it will be priced above the swift sedan since it cant be priced any lower.
Old 25th October 2006, 06:24   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedometer
Just try getting a Zen in the used car market.Suddenly the re-sale value has shot up.People suddenly started liking it after its production was stopped
You are thoroughly mistaken...Infact the resale value of Zen has plummeted now. Here (in Cochin), a Palio ELX commands more resale value than a Zen Vxi of the same year.

In the case of Esteem is concerned, my opinion is to end it's production since it's quite superannuated. And I've never ever liked the shape of Esteem although I love that car.
Old 25th October 2006, 11:28   #25
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
... where would the new baleno go.i dont think it will be priced above the swift sedan since it cant be priced any lower ...
Methinks it will. In the post 7.5 lakh bracket. But then they'd have to come out with an Optra beater...
Old 26th October 2006, 04:07   #26

from the spy pics,i dont think it can beat the nhc let alone the optra.if they price the baleno at >7.5lacs,history will be repeated again.remember the year 2000,baleno,ohc,and the lancer.methinks swifts price will be dropped,the swift sedan will be 60-70k more on the top of the line swift.above that will be the baleno.i guess they will price the lowest model of the new baleno at the price of the current vxi(exshowroom).
Old 27th October 2006, 12:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

MUL's usual policy is to sell a car as long as there are takers. And when it concerns the Esteem, they seem to be right because even in its latest avatar, it is selling pretty good. Technologically also, its peers don't have anything that it does not (neither better FE, nor lower maintenance etc). All they have is newer looks, which again is subjective. Some mentioned the safety angle, but then a car with more steel on it does not in any way guarantee passenger safety.

Most of the posters on this thread agreed that the Esteem is a good car.
Why fix it if it ain't broke ? If the consumer wants it, dish it out.
Old 27th October 2006, 15:54   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti currently has no viable replacement to the Esteem from their international portfolio, unlike the Baleno's successor. The Liana/Aerio has the potential, but I doubt they'll be able to sell it for 4.5 lacs here. Therein lies Maruti's stance on the Esteem.
Old 24th July 2007, 17:15   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
improvements that can be made in the car are in the doors, side mirrors, climate control, aircon vents, better positioning of the front speakers, etc.

but, yes, inspite of it's 'dated' looks, there are plenty of us who adore the car for its looks among many other things which are yet to be bettered by any of its present day contemporaries. i guess we outnumber the guys who think it is 'dated'. cheers

and boy does it sell ? it sure does.
I second you there man! It still looks pretty cool, just that if MUL could add some advanced safety features like ABS & EBD in it along with the ones you'd prefer. They will make it rock even more!
Old 24th July 2007, 20:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I second you there man! It still looks pretty cool, just that if MUL could add some advanced safety features like ABS & EBD in it along with the ones you'd prefer. They will make it rock even more!
Its not possible to add ABS or airbags to a Esteem, the car is not designed keeping that in mind, high time MUL called it a day for the Esteem, its become highly outdated, when Honda can outdo with the OHC, Toyota with the qualis when both were selling well then what the hell is MUL doing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks