Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2017, 08:23   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: January 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

While Auto Giants like VW, Toyota, GM, etc. have still no clue how to crack the Indian Auto customer puzzle,the segment booms and leads the growth in emerging markets.Link

Quote:
Global Car sales up by 5.6% in 2016 due to soaring demand in China, India and Europe
Quote:
In the emerging markets, India showed its strength with more than 3.3 million units sold as a result of growing prosperity and the greater availability of consumer credit. India’s growth offset losses in other emerging markets, and established India as a solid source of revenue for car manufacturers.
January 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

Note the 'Made in India 'Baleno in the sales chart

January 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th February 2017 at 08:29.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 14:43   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Volkswagen -Sad but not surprised to see 0 units of the jetta being dispatched and Volkswagen might silently discontinue it as it had stopped importing CKD kits for the Jetta long ago.
I was at a VW showroom yesterday. They confirmed that production of the Jetta has been stopped for the foreseeable future.
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 02:04   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
While Auto Giants like VW, Toyota, GM, etc. have still no clue how to crack the Indian Auto customer puzzle,the segment booms and leads the growth in emerging markets.Link

Attachment 1606608

Note the 'Made in India 'Baleno in the sales chart

Attachment 1606609
Not just Baleno, also the Kwid and the Xcent. As far as I know, neither of them are available in any other market but India.

When the foreign players entered the market in the mid to late 90s - I doubt anyone would have said that Suzuki would have a 51% market share in 2017. I guess their first truly global product for the Indian consumer was the 1st generation Swift. Kudos to them for owning more than half the market.
Old 18th February 2017, 03:08   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
...When the foreign players entered the market in the mid to late 90s - I doubt anyone would have said that Suzuki would have a 51% market share in 2017...
BTW: Suzuki is also a foreign player. It's Japanese. There is nothing to be proud of in Suzuki having a majority market share.

Had it been Tata, Mahindra, Bajaj, Ashok Leyland, etc, that's different. Those are majorly India-owned companies.

Last edited by vharihar : 18th February 2017 at 03:11.
Old 18th February 2017, 04:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Not just Baleno, also the Kwid and the Xcent. As far as I know, neither of them are available in any other market but India.
Kwid is sold in several other countries including South Africa, Indonesia and Brazil. I have seen a South African test drive video in Youtube.

Last edited by deerhunter : 18th February 2017 at 04:27.
Old 18th February 2017, 13:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
BTW: Suzuki is also a foreign player. It's Japanese. There is nothing to be proud of in Suzuki having a majority market share.

Had it been Tata, Mahindra, Bajaj, Ashok Leyland, etc, that's different. Those are majorly India-owned companies.
Yes, they are. But they did have a major advantage thanks to the license-raj era and Sanjay Gandhi when they pretty much had an entire decade to exploit the market themselves and take on the antiquated Indian firms.

Read this, if inclined -
http://www.business-standard.com/art...0900758_1.html
Old 18th February 2017, 13:37   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, they are. But they did have a major advantage thanks to the license-raj era and Sanjay Gandhi when they pretty much had an entire decade to exploit the market themselves and take on the antiquated Indian firms.
It's a long time after all these happened, if any. It's a long period all these "foreign" companies started their operations in India - Daewoo, Fiat, GM, Hyundai for 20 years, VW for 10 years, Toyota for 17 years. If they still are not sure about the Indian market, it just shows their inability. Nothing less.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 15:00   #53
BHPian

I am a self confessed fan of Asian makers like Honda and especially Hyundai. And I feel that Hyundai has shown the template of how to take on Suzuki / Maruti and beat them by going high. Honda tried to beat them by going low upto Suzuki levels and have thoroughly regressed.
As far as the famed Europeans are concerned, VW/Skoda has namesake interest in India but still has a huge, loyal and fierce fan following who are vocal and upwardly mobile. Renault again was never a typical European maker due to its association with Nissan and is the only out of the European troika who has a real interest in India.
Summarising, I feel that Toyota-Suzuki, Renault and Hyundai will rule in the medium to long term in terms of volumes.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks