Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2017, 19:56   #16
BHPian

Re: January 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Maruti
  • Maruti grows from strength to strength
  • 51% market share is commendable
  • Baleno and Brezza holding their fort
  • New plant starting production this month will only see higher shipments from this month

Hyundai
Creta and Elite i20 continue to be popular

Tata
  • Over 5000 bookings for Hexa and already 1500 shipments. If bookings don't pick up we may see zero waiting period in a month or two
  • Tiago continues to be their super star

Honda
  • Accord, CRV, Mobilio and Brio are dead products
  • BRV is trying hard to make a comeback. 1450 units is a respectable number
  • Honda could have shipped their last lot of old City to their dealers

Renault
Lower volumes for Kwid is surprising given they have huge backlog to clear

Toyota
Innova seems to be losing a bit steam. Shipments have been dropping since August 2016

Volkswagen
Ameo seems to be more preferred over Vento. Is Ameo cannibalising Vento sales?

Last edited by damager21 : 5th February 2017 at 19:57.
damager21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 23:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Honda[list][*]Accord, CRV, Mobilio and Brio are dead products[*]BRV is trying hard to make a comeback. 1450 units is a respectable number
Actually, you can excuse Brio, because it's a 6 year old car. Not much has changed in the Facelift that was launched few months back. And it's not a threatening Rival to Swift/Grand i10. Because, it's buyers are completely different.

Honda will be bringing new one in 2018, and I expect them to correct the shortcomings (Small Boot, Average Ride Quality, Lack of Diesel Engine).
When that happens, I expect it to be a good competitor.

Accord is Dead, 0 units clearly say that even the Rich ones are not ready to buy it. I can see this car being discontinued in another 9-12 months. Same price as Camry would have helped it to sell better.

BR-V is a good car, but I think the Slightly High Price is the reason for it not doing well. Honda should think of launching a New ZX variant with all the features. That should interest the buyer. Good Equipment Levels are wanted by customers and Honda have failed to address that issue in thier several cars except City and the numbers prove that.

Quote:
Renault
Lower volumes for Kwid is surprising given they have huge backlog to clear
I don't know whether this is true or not. I had shown interest on the Kwid 0.8L in August. There were rumours about bigger 1.0L engine. Since the car had waiting & the fact that my required color/model wasn't available and that 1.0L would be launched soon, I decided to skip Kwid & Bought a Tiago Instead.

But since December, I have been getting calls & messages from Renault regarding Kwid. They keep on saying that Kwid is having AMT option, a 1.0L engine etc. Looks like the sales has dropped a bit forcing the Dealers to search for customers. And I made a mistake by giving a Number during TD.

Quote:
Volkswagen
Ameo seems to be more preferred over Vento. Is Ameo cannibalising Vento sales?
Yes, it's true. My dealer confirmed this, people who don't need a large boot are preferring Ameo. According to the RM, similar Exteriors & Interiors and Engine (1.5 TDI) is the reason for this. Vento is being preferred by people looking at 1.2 TSI & 1.5 TDI with DSG. Polo hasn't been affected much according to him.

Looks like VW have to blame themselves. Had the Ameo been slightly different from Polo & Vento, it would have helped them.
CarguyNish is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 00:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like the final 5 in the list are having much lower sales (and hence bigger problems) than before. At the steady rate of decline/stagnant growth I'm not sure if Chevrolet, Skoda, Nissan, Fiat and HM will survive, it seems pretty certain that GM, HM and Fiat may have to take hard decisions for the future at this rate of . All of them have two things in common, none have a vast product portfolio encompassing different requirements, and all of their service experiences are getting dodgy by the day.

That being said, there is not much scope for change until Maruti is overthrown and that doesn't seem to be happening even if the competition come up with far better or let's say "complete"automobiles.

Hyundai would be glad that the i20 and Grand i10 have found great success, without them they'd possibly slip much lower down the charts in today's atmosphere.

Toyota the cars that move people are being moved by the Innova and Etios and for the time being that's all the edge they need to stay afload in the top 10.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 09:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Ford Figo twins have done decently after a long time because in the past they seemed to be doing OK and that too just one of them just every alternate month. Maybe the new marketing push seems to be be working.

All the executive sedans above the 15L category seem to be struggling with Jetta scoring a zero. Surprising as the sedan loving junta of India spawned ugly products like the dzire and co due this exact love of sedans.

Nice to see that the initial euphoria of the over priced Crysta seems to be dying out with
numbers settling around the 5k mark. IMHO this vehicle should be doing even lower numbers.

Hexa gets a good start but I think these are mostly demo and display vehicles. This is one car that I really want should succeed that could bring giants like Toyota down to more realistic levels.

Great to see Hyundai take the fight to Maruti month after month. The new face lift i10 grand could see even better numbers.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 21:17   #20
BHPian

The No.1 and 2 positions are settled for a long time to come. But the gap between no.1 and 2 may widen further after the facelift of Swift, Dezire and the launch of Baleno RS and Petrol version of Brezza.

Mahindra could soon lose its No.3 position to Honda depending on the success of WR-V and City(facelift). Honda is losing a lot of numbers due to higher pricing.

The numbers of Tata Motors may increase in the coming months due to expected launch of Kite sedan and Nexon though it may not be enough to reach the no.4 position.

Toyota has to bring in new cars/MUVs which are doing well in other markets like the Vios, Avanza, Calya to atleast retain its ranking. Else, Renault seems to be catching up for the 6th position.

Chevrolet, Fiat, Nissan and Skoda don’t have a single model which sells in 4 digits.
DImPo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 22:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai: Creta, i10 Grand, Elite i20 and Eon doing the honors for Hyundai. 4 Cars in the Top 20 which is dominated by Maruti. With the new Ignis release from Maruti I am guessing the Eon will lose a slot in the Top 20 from next month.

Maruti: Everything is going right for them. 11 cars out of the Top 20 is from Maruti. They mostly will have the 12th Car in the form of Ignis from next month. Grand i10 vs Maruti Ignis is a battle worth watching!

Tata & Renault: These two companies are a one car wonder with Tiago and Kwid currently in the Top 20. Kwid sales seem to have reduced...

Honda: City gets a facelift this Valentine's day which includes a 10 mm increase in Ground Clearance. Need to see if it can manage to regain the Top Spot back from Ciaz and maybe even threaten the Creta?
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 11:05   #22
BHPian

Surprised to see Endeavour doing low on sales inspite of the fact that its a much better product and better value than the Fortuner. Perhaps the hype of toyota is making the sales pitch higher. Will take a while for the Ford to gather its ground and the Ford team to gain confidence of the indian Customer branding themselves as a reliable and easy to maintain product
Deepu Sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 11:23   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Surprised to see Endeavour doing low on sales inspite of the fact that its a much better product and better value than the Fortuner.
I am sorry but it is the pricing strategy followed by Ford.

They just hiked the price by 2.8 lakhs!! Such isn't the strategy to be maintained if they are interested to sell the car.

Not at all good for the product hence a dip in sales.

Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lled-back.html

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th February 2017 at 11:26.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 12:10   #24
BHPian

So in a nutshell,

a. Ciaz continues to retain respectable lead over the city.
b. Aspire finds decent number of takers, thus bringing some respite to the Ford camp.
c. Vento (and Rapid) seems running out of steam. The market is no more excited by the frequent refresh and facelifts scooped out by VAG.
d. Usual back benchers FIAT and GM seems to be unfazed by the market dynamics. They continue to sleep peacefully under the warmth of the blankets making full use of the cool whether.
e. Steep fall in the Kwid numbers should bring sleepless nights to Renault. Bad days ahead, if Renault does not respond quickly to this alarm call.
f. Mobilio and Brio; who are they? and where on planet do they exist?
g. The dead on arrival "NuvoSport" does not seem to make any impact on the market and may fade away with time, without trace.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 7th February 2017 at 12:25.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 15:27   #25

Few comments. Maruti as an organization has done stupendously well, the numbers show how an organization can reinvent itself, saw this link from ET.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html
With Indian society spending more, Maruti has been able to attract imagination of new buyers, Nexa initiative, which initially, people had doubts has been a success now.

At the same time, Honda perplexes me, how can Honda and Toyota be so different in their approach to Indian market. While Toyota has maintained quality and produced successful models like Innvoa, a car with average selling price of 18 lakhs, selling average 6K pieces each month, is no mean feat. With Indian buying more expensive cars and becoming quality conscious, surely Toyota is in for good time in India.
I am sure there would be appropriate incremental pricing for Vios when its launched and this car would also bring in numbers for Toyota in India.
At the same time Honda by diluting their quality, they have diluted their brand equity, there was this comment earlier by Highh5, that their products do not match quality that we expect from a brand as big as Honda. I agree to this assessment, though few may disagree, but no offence to anybody.
This brings me to a bigger question, as to how two companies having same corporate cultural values [ both are Japanese and world leaders] be so different in their approach in India. I am not sure what Team BHP Members think as to what is the reason for this difference.
As per me, probably the reason was there was more delegation in Honda India, where in local management thought it prudent to go for cheaper and hence low quality cars in order to increase sales number and this has backfired in longer run. Look at BRV sales numbers, I think bigger issue with Honda now is to manage their quality perception, people would be reluctant to take leap of faith with their products.
Old 7th February 2017, 15:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Surprised to see Endeavour doing low on sales inspite of the fact that its a much better product and better value than the Fortuner.
Same here. Although I didn't see many Fortuner 2016 on road, it seems to have demolished its segment since mid of the year

Having said that, I believe Ford is on the right track with competitively priced quality offerings and establishing itself as cheap-to-maintain brand.
Old 7th February 2017, 16:28   #27
BHPian

Eagerly awaiting the 2016 sales figures from countries like US, China, EU - hope it comes up soon.
The Hexa did not have the full month and hence the 1400 figure seems reasonable. the corresponding sales of XUV, Innova and Creta will be keenly followed over the next few months.

Today on CNBC, Rahul Bajaj made a comment that the demonetization did have an impact on two wheeler sales. I wonder if the same was applicable to cars and to wht extent.

The international sales for the German trio were released and merc clearly rules. Just wonder how the others like Volvo and JLR compare.
Old 7th February 2017, 17:03   #28
BHPian

Hi - Just one question, According to me Hexa and XUV are competitors and belong to the same segment. But as per the report XUV is classified as an SUV and Hexa as MUV. Are these classifications done by manufacturers themselves?
Old 7th February 2017, 18:16   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess Ciaz's successful run stops with January. With new Honda City launch round the corner, it may settle with 2nd place and 5000 units in February.

And yes, as usual, 3 of my cars in top 20

Celerio, Kwid and Ciaz. I got no problem when selling them. Lol.
Old 7th February 2017, 19:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Maruti just grows and shows no signs of saturation.

Toyota's brand loyalty is shown in these numbers. The Fortuner is consistently clocking 1500+ units for 3 months on the trot. The Endeavour is clearly been hit, though I wouldn't go as far as saying that Ford Endeavour is struggling.

I think Fortuner can add to volumes by launching a well priced 2.4 diesel a few months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Toyota
Innova seems to be losing a bit steam. Shipments have been dropping since August 2016
I think it's mostly due prioritizing the Fortuner in the production line, I'm sure building a Fortuner doesn't cost too much more. Also,mMaybe a little due to the effect to demonetization too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks