Team-BHP - Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/184170-mumbai-polices-echallans-system-traffic-violations-edit-now-maharashtra-wide-19.html)

Checked for pending e-challans against my cars and since there were none, Pune Traffic cops rewarded me with a coupon code. Sweet! :)

Details here Aabhaar

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki san (Post 4697960)
Hi Guys,

With citizens now being threatened with legal action in case of unpaid dues, can anyone please advise on how to check if an e-challan is genuine or not.

I would not put it past our upright "Law enforcement" officers to issue an e-challan just to make up their quota for the day/week/month.

Regards,
SS

Hi Guys,

I shot off a mail to the addresses listed by "sandeepsc" and "Blackwasp".
I received a reply from the "multimediacell.traffic" email i.d within 24 hours.

Their reply is listed below.

I personally don't agree with it but I guess I have no choice in the matter as I do not have concrete proof that my car was NOT parked there.

Quote :
Respected Sir,
With reference to your e-mail dated ------ a detailed review of the challan issued against your vehicle has been taken. It is the fact that there are no photographs/evidence in respect of the said traffic rule violation, but this is to inform you that although the Traffic Control Branch with a view to promote transparency and evidence-based enforcement has been trying to capture the photograph for the violence, however, it is neither possible in 100% in the cases nor it is mandatory for the traffic branch to have such photographs/evidence. You must note that in many cases especially where the vehicles are moving there might not be sufficient time for our officers/men present on the street to capture the evidence.

In view of the above, although there has been no evidence on record in respect of the said traffic violation, the challan was issued by the traffic constable present on the street in front of whom the said violation has taken place and hence there is no reason to believe that the said challan was issued erroneously and that the said violation has not taken place. It is, however, informed that in case you have concrete evidence to prove that the said violation had not taken place, you are requested to submit the same after which this office would re-verify the issue of the said challan. 

Regards,
Multimedia Cell,

UnQuote.

Regards,
SS

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki san (Post 4712315)
I personally don't agree with it but I guess I have no choice in the matter as I do not have concrete proof that my car was NOT parked there.

Just got an idea - goto Google Timeline (https://www.google.com/maps/timeline) Check at the time of incident if the location is different than the place of offence. Maybe that could be considered as proof?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki san (Post 4712315)

Without concrete proof that your car was elsewhere at that moment you might as well pay up and clear the record.

I have read insurance companies will be considering the # of traffic violation tickets issued to increase/decrease premiums.

I was on my way to Prithvi Theater from Airoli. I am not familiar with the route, so was following Google Maps. I was driving under a metro station near Andheri when a traffic cop stopped me. I do not remember which metro station it is. The cop said the road is not open to private vehicles and can only be used by buses, and emergency services. I did not see any signs earlier nor was I aware of this rule. I tried to reason with him. He asked me to step out of the car and asked for a fine of 1200. I was getting angry and did not want to waste time arguing, nor did i want to pay a bribe. I paid by card. Now that I am home, I checked the traffic police app for the violation. It shows a no entry fine of 200 and a dangerous driving fine of 1000. I was driving below 40kmph and exhibited no rash driving.
Can someone tell me how to register a complaint and dispute the violation? Any idea which road it is ? Wonder why Google Maps doesn't mark it as blocked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anirban001 (Post 4738845)
Can someone tell me how to register a complaint and dispute the violation? Any idea which road it is ? Wonder why Google Maps doesn't mark it as blocked.

You can email your grievance to multimediacell.traffic@mahapolice.gov.in. That road most likely is Mathuradas Vasanji rd-Station rd. I've only seen BEST buses take that route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek95 (Post 4491534)
I have a query on this e-challan. Does this website have database of only Mumbai/Maharashtra regd. vehicles or outstate as well ?? Asking this because I drive a Karnataka (KA 22 - Belgaum) regd. VW Polo in Mumbai.

An honest update on this one for my Karnataka registered VW Polo.

Looks like from sometime in 2018, Mumbai/Maharashtra traffic cams have caught me here and there, totally unknown to me as I never got any SMS till date. A quick check on the latest app of Mumbai traffic had me skip a couple of my heartbeats. Most of the violations are for driving above 80 kmph on Eastern Express Highway, Mumbai at night times. Say 85,87,99 etc. I better be driving 10 kmph slower from now on.

The latest being, a challan for doing 104 kmph on the new 6 lane Pune--Satara NH4. Apparently, the speed limit here is 90kmph. All these years I have casually driven at 100--110kmph on the NH4 from Mumbai to Belgaum and its the first time I have to pay a fine of 1000 bucks for doing 104 kmph.

I just got an echallan for over speeding at 103km/h at a 100km/h speed limit. I didn't even realise that I had done that, I mean its possible but I always felt at least a 5km adjustment would be considered. Need to be a few km/h below the limit to be safe. how do I even contest such a claim? I guess there has always got to be a line drawn and i just fell on the wrong side of it.

Even i have received eChallan for over speeding.
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-slrcc20000564547_02-copy.png
The speed limit is 90 and distance checked was 101 mtrs.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster (Post 4758814)
Even i have received eChallan for over speeding.
[/indent]The speed limit is 90 and distance checked was 101 mtrs.:Frustrati

Got ticket on the exact highway in January. Paid 1000/- for the same.

Got a challan for driving at 100 km per hour on the right most lane of Mumbai--Nasik NH3 highway nearby Ghoti. Apparently the speed limit is 95km per hour. This was on 13rd September, 2020 when I had leisurely driven to Igatpuri with friends. Noticed it only yesterday when I casually opened Mumtraffic App ( somehow the SMS got missed this time ) and got a shock of my life. 1000/- rupees to pay as fine now :mad:sorry:

I would like to share one of the ways with which the traffic police would give Echallans without thinking of why the bloke broke the rules.

I will share my experience below :
- The signal at 4 roads junction was green for us and there was still 10 seconds left to turn yellow.
- There were 2 cars ahead of me, a Duster and a Lodgy.
- A dude from a Bullet and a Rickshaw driver decided to jump their signal and blocked the Duster ahead of me. We all braked in panic to save them
- Our signal turned yellow and red within that time.
- My car, Duster and Lodgy couldn't move ahead as the signal was red and opposite cars decided to move as their signal turned green. We all got caught up ahead of the zebra crossing line due to this.
-Bad luck followed us as there was a traffic police car right behind my car and the constable decided to take pictures of all of us for crossing the zebra crossing line.
- I got the Echallan message after I reached home. I had no other option but to pay fine.

Now my question is:
1. How many honest drivers who follow the rules have been unnecessary caught up in such a situation and had to pay the price for mistakes of others?
2. Shouldn't there be any feedback mechanism where we can reason out before paying the fines?
3. What about the bike riders and the Rickshaw drivers who keep breaking the rules countless number of times daily?
4. Are the private car owners an easy target?

TOI, 09th Dec. 2020.

Appalled at the high number of unpaid challans for traffic offences, the state approved payment of penalties in cash in Mumbai from 8th Dec. 2020.

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-79634885.jpg

Quote:

The number of unpaid challans in state, till last month, amounts to Rs 602 crore. Over 46% of it (Rs 280 crore) are dues from Mumbai.

The Mumbai Traffic Police were the first in the state to adopt the e-challan system in 2016. About 5,000 cameras live stream footage to the traffic police control room where cops scan them for violators. An e-challan is sent to the violator's mobile number based on his vehicle records. The system was made cashless as the department was stung too often in the past with complaints of constables demanding bribes. However, unpaid challans started to pile up.
Issuing of e-challans in other parts of the state began in 2019, but the police retained the cash payment option for rural areas where using debit and credit cards has not caught up. "Where payment of cash fines was allowed, recovery of e-challans was faster. Thane allowed cash payments last year but Mumbai and Pune were still following the cashless approach," said superintendent (highway police) Sunita Salunkhe.

With Mumbai being given the nod to accept cash fines by the additional chief secretary, Pune too is likely to be next. But the state wants to minimise contact between motorists and the constabulary. Cash fines can be paid to an officer (sub-inspector rank and above) on the spot or at traffic chowkies. The online payment option still exists.
Source: https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/m.tim...w/79634882.cms

2,000 driving licences suspended for not paying challan.

Quote:

Mumbai traffic police has sent driving licences of 2,000 motorists for suspension to regional transport offices (RTO) for failing to pay up three or more challans.

The motorists will be required to give an explanation as to why their licences should not be permanently cancelled.
"Our current recovery rate of challans is 30%. In the next six months, we intend to attain a recovery rate of 50%," said Yashasvi Yadav, joint commissioner, traffic.

State transport commissioner Avinash Dhakne said the RTOs could suspend licences for a period of three to six months if vehicle owners who had not paid three or more challans fail to provide a valid explanation. In serious cases, licences could be revoked.

"It is not an easy task to zero in on the actual offender since in several instances, the driver who committed the traffic violation is not the same as the owner of the vehicle," said Dhakne. The notices are always served to the vehicle owner. "There have been instances where the addresses are vague or mobile numbers are incorrect. Recovering fines becomes difficult then," said an RTO official.
The state traffic department will soon start a setup resembling a call centre where police personnel will make calls to all those offenders who have failed to pay challans and remind them. A select team of policemen will also visit residences of those with a high number of pending challans to "politely" remind them to pay up.

An RTO official said it would no longer be possible for an offender to escape paying fines once an e-challan has been issued.
"Earlier, there used to be some cases where after a driving licence was impounded, the vehicle owner would make a false complaint with the police that his licence had been lost and would apply to the RTO for a duplicate licence. But now, all data about pending fines and driving licences is uploaded on a centralised server which can be accessed by police as well as RTOs. So, the police can verify if a motorist's driving licence is suspended or revoked and what are the fines imposed on him," the official said.
Meanwhile, in a separate drive, traffic police cracked the whip on 5,000 motorists in a single day, on Tuesday, for sporting fancy number plates on their vehicles. About 1,200 of these challans were issued in the west region alone.
Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/79653788.cms