Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Compact Sedan do you think has the best integrated / best looking boot?
Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire 14 2.75%
Hyundai Xcent 46 9.04%
Honda Amaze 50 9.82%
Ford Figo Aspire 119 23.38%
Volkswagen Ameo 34 6.68%
Tata Indigo eCS 3 0.59%
Tata Zest 22 4.32%
Tata Tigor (Kite 5) 221 43.42%
Voters: 509. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2017, 19:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Poll: The best-looking boot among compact sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Thank you for pointing it out.
My mistake.
One of the sites displayed the length as 3991 but it is indeed actually 4221.
Verito Vibe, which is a compact sedan, is sub 4 meter long - 3991cm.
Old 13th March 2017, 21:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Because Verito is not a compact sedan (sub 4m), and therefore doesn't qualify for this poll.

And Vibe is not a hatchback, but a compact sedan
Is that really a boot?

I really struggle to understand, what is the point of such a poorly designed contraption.
They could have instead given it a hatch.
For me, a good hatch is any day better than a horrible looking and poorly designed boot.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 21:50   #33
BHPian

Became difficult to choose from as I made a decision to exclude Indigo eCS from my vote although it is selling few numbers every month.

Tried to bring some objectivity to my decision making.

I always felt Zest to be the best looking compact sedan from when it was launched except for the Vista similarities. Aspire came and it became tough for me to choose between those two. With Tigor, it became a three-way choice for me to choose from.

Coming to the objectivity part that I mentioned. I used the three parameters of viewing that Dr. Suraj had used in the First post and chosen the top three in that angle (only focused on boot) according to me.

Side Profile

Aspire - 3 points
Amaze - 2 points
Tigor - 1 point

Rear 3 Quarters

Tigor - 3 points
Aspire - 2 points
Zest - 1 point

Dead Back

Zest - 3 points (as for me, no sedan sold now below 15 lakh beats this particularly during nights)
Tigor - 2 points
Amaze - 1 point

So here are the totals

Aspire - 3 + 2 + 0 = 5
Zest - 0 + 1 + 4 = 5
Tigor - 1 + 3 + 2 = 6 (The Winner )
Amaze - 2 + 0 + 1 = 3
Old 13th March 2017, 22:01   #34
BHPian

Have selected the Tigor. Tata makes some good looking cars, no doubt in that. I just hope that with the new crop of cars, they can translate it into sales!
Old 14th March 2017, 07:31   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

As with almost all cases, any opinion poll on design is subject to personal preferences, and brand preferences, so I'm not entirely sure what to comment upon here, as far as best looking boot/best integrated boot goes, to me there is an obvious winner - the Xcent.

The Xcent because it has the best balanced side-proportions in the whole list of cars above, the C-Pillar is short and sedan-like and the boot has a good length to compensate for the vehicle height and overall length, not to mention that the sole-necessity of compact sedans was because they'd provide more storage space than hatchbacks and Xcent tops the segment there as well with 407 litres (more than Creta), the Maruti Omni was the yesteryears most efficiently managed real-estate car for price available and today it is without doubt the Xcent with its short front-overhang engine bay, longer boot & spacious interiors.

My questions are serious and might help actually bring clarity to this much-bashed segment, how many chose their respective options because :

1) It was their favourite brand (nothing to do with the particular car)
2) Liked some (or one) virtue of the car (eg. build of Ameo/steering of Aspire/newness factor of Tigor)
3) Truly loved and had personal experience with the compact sedan
4) Own the compact sedan

In my case it is factor no.2 & 3, as others have mentioned Xcent Ubers are superbly practical and city-friendly, plus I've driven the auto-variant as well, best value proposition where storage, and chauffeur-friendliness is concerned. There is no harm in us being frank, I'm glad that the sub-4m cars are being respected more and more as time goes by, but the segment and style of cars need to evolve and I'm guessing with demand, it will.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 08:51   #36
Team-BHP Support

Many votes for the Aspire. Agreed, its a good looking car, but is this a proportionally integrated boot?

Poll: The best-looking boot among compact sedans-fordfigoaspire33-1.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 09:25   #37
Team-BHP Support

I wonder how these cars would look in estate form. Use the same rear door as the hatch variant. Since the length is still sub-4m, it probably won't look like an estate car, but like a slightly bigger hatch. Like the old Opel Corsa Sail.

Poll: The best-looking boot among compact sedans-opelcorsasail.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

My questions are serious and might help actually bring clarity to this much-bashed segment, how many chose their respective options because :

1) It was their favourite brand (nothing to do with the particular car)
2) Liked some (or one) virtue of the car (eg. build of Ameo/steering of Aspire/newness factor of Tigor)
3) Truly loved and had personal experience with the compact sedan
4) Own the compact sedan
I suspect this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Many votes for the Aspire. Agreed, its a good looking car, but is this a proportionally integrated boot?
Looking at the way Ford wins our polls - Ecosport, Figo, Aspire, Endeavor - I suspect the poll software has been tampered with. Whenever a member presses some other brand, the vote is not counted. Or select any other option and the vote goes to Ford. We should have paper voting instead.

I will be writing a letter to Poll Commission of Team-BHP soon.

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th March 2017 at 09:32.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 09:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Tigor. Out of all these it seems the most proportionate with Ameo being a close second. The worst is the Dzire. No offense to any owners.
Old 14th March 2017, 09:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I wonder how these cars would look in estate form. Use the same rear door as the hatch variant. Since the length is still sub-4m, it probably won't look like an estate car, but like a slightly bigger hatch. Like the old Opel Corsa Sail.

Such cars already exist in the form of Polo, Punto, Elite i20, Jazz & Baleno. (All 3950 mm+ in length) 2 of these are amongst the top selling cars in India.

But the example closest to what you might be referring to is the Chevy Sail hatch (3946mm).

Last edited by antz.bin : 14th March 2017 at 09:57. Reason: Typo
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 10:06   #40

With Tata's new platform, the Tiago had a fresh look anyhow. However, with the Tigor coming into the picture, the boot is simply breathtaking. I mean, the sweep is so well integrated with the C pillar, looks really good. The transition is extremely smooth, doesn't seem forced, which is the case with many of the compact sedans.

What appeals to me is the fact that it's very natural to look at, doesn't look forced and is a fresh design. Way to go TATA!
Old 14th March 2017, 11:09   #41
BHPian

Given the response here made me realise 2 pertinent points:
1. Tigor - seems to be to early to comment. Since people are yet to witness it on road - but it does re-iterate the fact that people seem to be happy about where the Tata design philosophy is headed.
2. Each one seems to excel in some specific departments!

I will eagerly wait for TeamBHP report of Tigor (media drives start tomorrow, if I am not mistaken) - and another few months for it to be witnessed by most TeamBHPians.
THEN, maybe another thread comparing all of them head to head would be nice!

For once, let's see if Team BHP poll figures match the sales graph as well.
It usually doesn't happen in case of Tata & Ford. :P Especially - since all 3 Tata's combined have a sizeable number of votes - but all 3 Tata's combined don't (or may not) add upto the sales figures of Dzire or Xcent!

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 14th March 2017 at 11:12.
Old 14th March 2017, 11:30   #42
BHPian

This really feels like choosing an one-eyed man out of a bunch of blinds.

Just looking at the photos shared by the thread OP, Tigor does look better, followed by Ameo.

Ameo, from side profile looks like a full length sedan with a chopped off boot (while most others look like a hatch pasted with an add-on boot). Tigor looks a lot better, esp since it doesn't look like a sedan at all, esp from side profile.
Old 14th March 2017, 11:50   #43
BHPian

Voted for the Xcent.

The boot profile blends and integrates into the flow of the car's silhouette perfectly. Nothing looks stubby or a chopped off work. The rear elements viz, tail lamp cluster, bumper etc., also blend seamlessely into the car's design language.

The Ameo also has a commendable boot integration. However since my eyes are used to seeing the Vento in its full glory, the Ameo somewhat disappoints, but still earns a distant second spot.
Old 14th March 2017, 14:51   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Amaze. To my eye it seems the least ugly of the sub-4m species Possibly because the Brio it is derived from is one quirky looker!

Xcent is also not too bad and also quite comfortable to sit in the back (have had it as a taxi a couple of times).

Mod Note: Deleted Verito from the list of poll options.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 16:37   #45
BHPian

As far as the boot of a sub 4m sedan is considered. The judgement is based on the length, height and form of the boot. At the moment , personally I think Tata Tigor has its bases covered properly(Opinion might change after viewing physically). But I believe had it not been for the long sweep of the C-pillar in the Tigor's design. It would have been one funky boot.

Hyundai Xcent's boot is extremely well integrated. It has a neat side profile. On the other hand the Volkswagen Ameo is the worst of them all. It looks like a Lizard with its tail (IMHO) chopped off. The long nose of the Vento doesn't compliment the short boot.

OT- Volkswagen please stop using only a ruler and a photocopier to design your cars. Yes, everything other than Ameo looks classy and timeless but it's time to move on.

The Amaze looks odd to me because of the steep angle of the rear windshield. The Ford Aspire is a good attempt but definitely looks very stubby from the side.

The Tata Zest looks proportionate in pictures despite having a long nose. But definitely looks stubbier in real life. But still pleasing.

The DZire's boot looks like an after market job. That tailgate looks like it belongs to some other car. No cohesiveness in the design at all.

The Indigo eCS is ugly and weird is what we should have said as potential customers to have prevented this segment from becoming huge.

The Verito does not belong here.

P.S.
Would have voted for the Xcent. But am giving the benefit of the doubt to the newcomer (Tigor).

Last edited by Shanksta : 14th March 2017 at 16:50.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks