Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2017, 15:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu: PAN & Aadhar number to be made mandatory for new car registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Aadhaar card is available only to residents of this country. Therefore it can be used as evidence of residence where a service is only available to residents. I think that is where this stuff began with gas subsidy, but now, Supreme Court or no, everybody is going Aadhaar-card crazy.
Well, I am not sure about "a service being made available" - because, the whole idea of Aadhar came about to give a 'identity card'; which went on to be used for 'direct delivery of subsidy (cash benefits or whatever it is that the Govt. wants to pass on, including pension)'; it was then touted as a tool which will plug 'leakage' and so on and so forth .....

Is Aadhar mandatory? To the best of my knowledge - NO.

Imagine someone buying a Jaguar and shelling upwards of Rs. 50 lakhs (and that he or she is a honest citizen, diligently paying taxes, giving up subsidy et al). Why should that person be made to (obtain) submit the Aadhar number??

In fact, I prefer to call myself 'Niradhaar', as I am not inclined to claim any subsidy from the Government and prefer to pay my taxes honestly... . I can and will submit my PAN but making Aadhar mandatory for vehicle registration is taking things too far.

If the Government is serious about the efficacy of Aadhar, let them convince people like me publishing the list of crooks / dishonest persons who were trapped and made to cough up what was rightfully due to the Government.....

In fact, instead of coming up with hare brained ideas like this, why not start a PAN India registration of vehicles - which will be more efficient and simpler for people like you and me in the long run? If GST can be implemented, why not a single registration which will be valid across the country?

BTW, my original question about registration of vehicles already registered elsewhere requiring Aadhar number for re-registration in TN is yet to elicit any response... any ideas anyone, please?
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 16:35   #32
tud
BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu: PAN & Aadhar number to be made mandatory for new car registration

Someone registering the car under a corporate name, how can they provide an Aadhaar number?

Aadhaar and Voter ID is mapped in TN, so is Aadhaar and Ration Card.
tud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 09:54   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Instead of hassling like this one by one, they should mandate the following for every transaction :

1) AADHAR Card
2) PAN Card
3) Voter ID

We the evil public are escaping paying taxes (well on those goods/commodities that aren't pre-taxed anyway like restaurants, services, electronics goods, groceries, utilities, luxury commodities, imported goods etc etc), so its imperative that they round us up and wring us dry of whatever possible is owed.

Alternatively they can just link the above 3 cards and unify it into a Bada-Bhai card, you know, Big Brother, where the details of all the above 3 cards are instantly linked and is GPS based so as to verify the location and time-stamps. They can also use fingerprint/iris scanners at the car dealership to double-verify the purchase. (Those who are pro-everything please excuse this irrational rant)

If I'm not mistaken a car in most cases is a healthy investment, it provides depreciation, some tax benefits and as long as its within budget should serve to save a lot of money if the expenses like service bills, fuel bills and other expenses are recorded and filed accordingly. The sector is tightened already with PAN being mandatory, dealers having to declare at their end, the factory having to declare at theirs and the buyer having to pay purely by cheque (a cash deal for a new car is unheard of as far as I know). The account is linked to PAN and vice versa, and they have both, how many more levels of verification are needed!!?
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 10:00   #34
BHPian

In continuation with Aadhar becoming legal document here is another news in MSN which says

Quote:
Your PAN card could be invalid without Aadhaar by December

Permanent account numbers (PAN) not linked to Aadhaar cards will likely become invalid after December 31, a government source said on Thursday, as the Centre pushes to widen the use of the 12-digit biometric identity project.
Currently, all taxpayers need to have a PAN number to file income tax return but others, such as students outside the tax bracket, also use the card as a proof of identity.
The government says many of these PAN cards are fraudulently obtained, a practice that can be checked by a unique identification number.
The official – who refused to be quoted as he isn’t authorised to talk to media – said the government had arrived at the tentative cutoff date of December 31 as it believed the Aadhaar enrollment process will be complete by the end of the year.
“Considering that 98% of the adult population is Aadhaar card holders, a time frame till the end of the year is more than adequate for linking PAN with Aadhaar,” said State Bank of India group’s chief economic adviser Soumya Kanti Ghosh.

Source :
http://www.msn.com/en-in/money/topst...hVU?li=AAaeRVN
Old 24th March 2017, 10:33   #35
BHPian

I feel this is a good step and would only add to the convenience for vehicle owners. DigiLocker is another government digital initiative and database of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways is already linked to DigiLocker. Now, if vehicles are registered with Aadhar details, the moment one logs into DigiLocker, vehicle registration and even driving license details (if, Aadhar linked) are pulled in. For example, my Leave and License Agreement is visible on DigiLocker because it is Aadhar verified.

Imagine the convenience of being able to access all important Government issued documents from a common platform!
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 10:20   #36
BHPian

Going by current debate (& SC case) about privacy infringement, the latest SC ruling (SC extension of all deadlines for mandatory Aadhaar usage) does this requirement for car registration being relaxed for now.

Doesn't seem to be happening in Hyderabad as Aadhaar continues to be mandatory for vehicle registrations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks