Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2017, 15:15   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dyno tested at last! VW's Dieselgate software update

I got a call from VW palace cross service centre, Rajajinagar for the update. The lady asked ' you know about VW emission thing' ? I said yes and asked when I can bring the car to service centre.
Since one of my injector has gone bad (apr 2011 car) and driving is not pleasurable, I am hoping this update to make my car smooth again

There are so many things that can be done by govt to impress in the areas of safety, consumer protection etc. Why cant they do it ? They just have to follow what others have done and doesnt require a lot of effort.
Old 12th May 2017, 16:00   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I got a call from VW palace cross service centre, Rajajinagar for the update. The lady asked ' you know about VW emission thing' ? I said yes and asked when I can bring the car to service centre.
Since one of my injector has gone bad (apr 2011 car) and driving is not pleasurable, I am hoping this update to make my car smooth again

There are so many things that can be done by govt to impress in the areas of safety, consumer protection etc. Why cant they do it ? They just have to follow what others have done and doesnt require a lot of effort.
I don't think a software update would make it better if the injector is faulty. If the injector is faulty, I the best would be to get that replaced.

Last edited by graaja : 12th May 2017 at 16:04.
Old 13th May 2017, 00:57   #78
BHPian

Got call for my Vento 1.6 about software update. Lady mentioned that it will improve my car performance and fuel efficiency

I said no i am not bringing my car. I will need to talk to my SA when next service is due in Jan 2018.
Old 13th May 2017, 14:24   #79
BHPian

My Polo 1.2 TDI software update was done 2 weeks back. After the update, I have drive 1200KM which includes 900KM in highways.

So for I haven't found any difference in performance after the update. Only change noticed is the gear downshift notification in MDI. Earlier when the speed goes below 25, gear downshift from 3 to 2 shown. Now its not showing even below 20. Not sure this a bug in update or they changed intentionally.
Old 13th May 2017, 16:51   #80
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the 1.6 TDI update is being rolled out as well. Unfortunately I'm due for my yearly service of my Rapid this month. In 2 minds whether to avoid the update ( if it's an option) or get on with it and see what happens. Although my car is 5 years old, I have just covered 42k, meaning I'm likely to retain the car for another 2 years at least. So don't want the rest of the ownership period to be frustrating.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 11:20   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Looks like the 1.6 TDI update is being rolled out as well. Unfortunately I'm due for my yearly service of my Rapid this month. In 2 minds whether to avoid the update ( if it's an option)
It's up to you whether to get the update. The SA had told that they won't do it unless agreed upon by the car owner. I've chosen not to go ahead with it as it is a software update + adding additional filter to cut the airflow; both of these would impact the smoothness and performance of the car.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:38   #82
BHPian

A recent test by Autocar UK shows reduction in fuel economy due to the fix applied to 1.6L diesel engines

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...gen-diesel-fix

Quote:
It revealed that while NOx emissions were almost halved from 0.639g/km pre-fix to 0.351g/km post-fix, our test car’s combined fuel economy had fallen from 50.72mpg to 47.61mpg. This means that its CO2 emissions increased from 147.3g/km to 156.9g/km, a change of 6.5%.

Quote:
A report by the Volkswagen Diesel Customer Forum (VDCF) last month said owners of postfix VWs with the 2.0-litre diesel had experienced breakdowns, increased fuel consumption, reduced performance, increased exhaust smoke, excessive regeneration of diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and DPF failure. Exhaust gas regeneration (EGR) valves, turbochargers and fuel injectors are also said to have failed
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 10:52   #83
Senior - BHPian

If, I owned a VW, this is what I would have done.

1) Get my ECU software updated.
2) Fight VW in consumer court for compensation and take it as far as I can.

If the results are not justified, I'll post the full story on team-bhp to create an awareness about the weaknesses of consumer protection rules in our country.

If I do get justice from the court, again post the full process here, so that other VW owners can use the same route to get their compensation.

PS: I have been witness to many consumer court hearings and I'm almost 95% sure that this is a clear case where compensation will be given to the consumer.

If someone in here has the time and energy to do it, I would highly recommend taking this route for the larger good of everyone here. If team-bhp can take up this matter, it would be even better. I'm ready to donate my time if team-bhp takes this up. No car company in our country should think that Indians can be cheated without any cost!
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 05:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Ok folks, judgement day!

Got my yearly service done at Vinayak Skoda yesterday and along with it the infamous emission update for my 1.6 TDI Rapid. The service executive claimed that there was no increased noise in the 1.6 and the issue was primarily noticed in the 1.5.

Engine Noise--No significant increase, although at lower speeds while accelerating on certain inclines i thought it was a bit more, but nothing substantial.

Power loss-- I just drove around 20'kms last night in heavy traffic post the update, so couldn't really gauge any power loss, but felt that the super surge you get in the 2nd and 3rd gears might have come down very marginally. I will update once I have a free run on one of these days( which is near impossible in Bangalore traffic conditions )
Old 8th June 2017, 20:31   #85
BANNED

Is it possible if they can update diesel software with petrol one ?
Reason my friend went to service & he owns 1.6 rapid petrol but they performed software on their car, he thinks behaviour of his car changed.
Also he noticed that gear shift indicator in mid, according to him that indicator previously wasnt there.

Is it possible that they installed diesel software in petrol car ?

Is it reversible ?

Thanks !

Last edited by unknown : 8th June 2017 at 20:34.
Old 8th June 2017, 20:46   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Is it possible if they can update diesel software with petrol one ?
Reason my friend went to service & he owns 1.6 rapid petrol but they performed software on their car, he thinks behaviour of his car changed.
Also he noticed that gear shift indicator in mid, according to him that indicator previously wasnt there.

Is it possible that they installed diesel software in petrol car ?

Is it reversible ?

Thanks !
It is not possible to update a diesel software on a petrol car - the functions are totally different.

The update done on your friends car could just be an ECU firmware update to add features like up-shift indication etc. They may have done some update to the map as well, but again it will not be related to dieselgate.
Old 9th June 2017, 14:44   #87
BANNED

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2017 at 16:59.
unknown is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th June 2017, 15:43   #88
Team-BHP Support

@ unknown: As far as I know, it is impossible to write a diesel ECU software into a petrol ECU. They are totally different, and the system would not allow a diesel software to be written into a petrol ECU even if the service guys tried to do so. In the unlikely event that they somehow wrote a diesel software to the ECU, the car would simply not start.

As I said before, what they must have done is an ECU update - just like operating system updates in PCs and Android or iOS updates in cell phones. And many times, it is not possible to roll back such updates.

So, if they indeed have updated the ECU firmware, it may be something that is not possible to roll back. I really do not know if you can do anything about this - at least technically. You could ask for an ECU replacement with the older firmware version, but proving that they updated the firmware and that resulted in performance degrade is going to be a monumental, if not impossible task!

Maybe others can provide a different view point on this.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2017 at 17:01. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
Old 9th June 2017, 18:06   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
@ unknown: As far as I know, it is impossible to write a diesel ECU software into a petrol ECU. They are totally different, and the system would not allow a diesel software to be written into a petrol ECU even if the service guys tried to do so. In the unlikely event that they somehow wrote a diesel software to the ECU, the car would simply not start.
Very true. For instance, a petrol engine has a spark plug and the timing of the spark can be controlled whereas in a diesel engine, there is no spark plug since diesel ignites on compression.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 10:35   #90
Senior - BHPian

1.5 GT TDI owner from Mumbai seeks help

A fellow enthusiast and team-bhp reader from Mumbai seeks help. His Polo 1.5 TDI which got the Dieselgate fix doesn't drive or feel the same post the update. He wishes to do a comparison dyno run with another Polo 1.5 TDI which has not been "fixed" yet. If someone can collaborate please get in touch with Rahil, his email ID is rahil84 at gmaildotcom. His message below.

Quote:
Hi Shankar,
Hope you are doing well. I had gotten in touch with you last year regarding some questions for the VW Polo 1.5TDI. I am aware that you sold ur polo, but I was wondering if you could do me a favour.

Couple of weeks back my car went through the emissions upgrade, without my knowledge. And now the car has become more noisier and starts knocking at low rpm.

I currently live in Mumbai, and I was thinking of doing a dynotest of my car and compare it with another polo which has not been upgraded yet. There is a dieselgate thread on teambhp which I have been following lately and several owners are complaining of the same issues. I am not a member of Team-bhp(tried several times but was declined membership), is there a way you could post on that thread and help me get a contact of a Polo owner who's not yet upgraded.

If at a later stage I decide to take legal action, maybe I can prove the difference in performance between the two cars, pre and post upgrade.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,
RAHIL
Tip: For best results compare with a similar mileage car with fresh air filters and engine oil in both engines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks