Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2017, 10:32   #31
BHPian

Re: March 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Spoke to people who work with TATA and it seems there was no supply chain constraints as such for Hexa. I guess it is sales tapering off. Hate to see such a good car lose to Innova.
Carma2017 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 10:51   #32
BHPian

Finally the report card for the month is out there. Here are my observations,

1. Kwid re-enters the 10K+ club during March 17.

2. RediGo shows a slow but steady improvement in sales each month since December 2016.

3. 6k+ sales for the overpriced City? I guess most of the sales are from clearances of old stock with heavy discounts or could be the initial fancy factor or may be both. Should wait for April 17 figures to visualize the actual market response to the facelift model.

4. Slight dip in Ciaz sales may be due to the shift from normal MS dealership and Nexa. Perhaps potential buyers awaited for the transition to get complete so that they can book their cars from wider color options.

I still wonder where on earth have these 12 Trailblazers and 38 Lineas (that moved out of the showrooms during March 17) have disappeared. I have seen none of those new cars on the road since several months.
King_pin09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 10:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Spoke to people who work with TATA and it seems there was no supply chain constraints as such for Hexa. I guess it is sales tapering off. Hate to see such a good car lose to Innova.
Then why does it have a waiting period?
Amartya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 11:18   #34
BANNED

Ciaz sales in the coming months will give a good idea about the success or failure of Nexa concept - to check whether whatever they gained because of the "premium" dealerships is higher/lower than whatever they lost because it is moved out of the regular dealerships.

If it can maintain the 5K levels, we can agree that Nexa concept is a success. If it goes down, then Maruti can blame themselves for the possible low sales numbers of SCross, Ignis and Baleno compared to their actual potential.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 7th April 2017 at 11:43.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 12:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
1. What is up with Baleno? Was maruti giving it up for free, sales up by 163%!! Wonder if the primary rival i20 ever did cross 15K mark. Stupendous! Baleno has overtaken Swift (don't know if it's for the first time) and is eyeing the Dzire. Don't know if it's a one off thing, let's watch out.
I thought these were dealer dispatch numbers and the rise in the Baleno numbers would be to do with the launch of the RS variant.

And the Baleno overtaking the Dzire this month should be a one-off occurence.
Old 7th April 2017, 14:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Isn't the Ignis doing quite well for itself?

It is sold from Nexa, so not available everywhere and it is not aggressively priced. And the Ritz - the closest model from Maruti stable which we can compare to the Ignis never used to sell this much.
No it isn't. Not by MSIL standards at least. Anyways, it is a new launch. We should wait for more time before conclusions.
Just looks at the Baleno. It sells from the same Nexa outlets, and manages 16000 units.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 14:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
I still wonder where on earth have these 12 Trailblazers and 38 Lineas (that moved out of the showrooms during March 17) have disappeared. I have seen none of those new cars on the road since several months.
Sir, non-sighting of 50 odd cars in pan-indian market is not such a big deal, isn't it?

Perhaps majority of Linea are gone to the FCA employees in Pune and Chennai.

I am rather surprised with the 4 Abarths that have been sold; it's a 2015 manufactured car for God's sake! Irrespective of the discounts that it might be running, the depreciation hit will be humongous as soon as it is rolled out of the showroom.

Only possible explanation could be true blooded enthusiasts; a rare breed in our country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
I thought these were dealer dispatch numbers and the rise in the Baleno numbers would be to do with the launch of the RS variant.
Indeed, these are factory dispatch numbers, still it's a noticeable jump. As someone pointed on the Baleno RS thread, people might be considering the RS as TatkalBaleno to avoid the long waiting periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
No it isn't. Not by MSIL standards at least. Anyways, it is a new launch. We should wait for more time before conclusions.
Just looks at the Baleno. It sells from the same Nexa outlets, and manages 16000 units.
Agree! I believe, Ignis being so quirky will settle for around 5K mark, unless it blooms late when people would get used to looking at it and eventually would say what-the-heck it's a Maruti. And believe me, they do so too, observed first hand in my family and friends circle!

Last edited by teemus : 7th April 2017 at 14:30. Reason: typo & added quotes
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 14:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

It certainly is a bit disheartening to see Hexa barely around the 1000 mark.
I've said this on the official thread - and I say it here again. Just my opinion.
Tata had just one clear shot at breaking into the market big time - and that was by using the price weapon. Shock pricing at launch to shake things up - given the baggage of the past and the stiff hurdles of competition and past perception to clear.
It's like the aggressive five bowler strategy in test matches (love using cricket analogy).

It was not to be and now I fear it will be uphill all the way.
wilful is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 15:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, non-sighting of 50 odd cars in pan-indian market is not such a big deal, isn't it?

I am rather surprised with the 4 Abarths that have been sold; it's a 2015 manufactured car for God's sake! Irrespective of the discounts that it might be running, the depreciation hit will be humongous as soon as it is rolled out of the showroom.

Only possible explanation could be true blooded enthusiasts; a rare breed in our country!

Agreed. The only reason I said so was that almost every linea that I happen to see has the chequered grill (indicating it to be a pre 2012 facelift model). The 2011 facelift and post that, I have hardly ever seen any of them.

I mean I usually see these types (Original 2008-2009 launch)

http://indianautosblog.com/wp-conten...t-frontjpg.jpg

and one of these kind once in a blue moon (2012 - face lift)

http://indianautosblog.com/wp-conten...at-Linea-2.jpg

and Never seen one of these kinds (2015 refresh),

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...w-img_4740.jpg

Last edited by King_pin09 : 7th April 2017 at 15:28.
Old 7th April 2017, 18:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

In fact there were more Mustangs dispatched than the Linea in March. Uncontrol.
FCA though a very profitable Indian venture needs to go all out with the Compass.
Having just 2 mainstay models is never going to bring in the footfalls. I own a Fiat Punto which has done over 100k KMs and I swear by it. It still puts a smile on my face very time I drive it. Wish Fiat would bring in more models. Once Jeep takes priority,I guess it will end on a sad note for Fiat.
Old 7th April 2017, 19:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think we can do a sales comparison between the Baleno and Ignis.

Ignis is a 'premium compact' which can mainly work for bachelors, young families or as a city runabout in a bigger garage.

While Baleno is a much more spacious car which can work for all those people and also as the single car for a family too. The market for the Ignis is quite small and evolving.

And it also doesn't help that Baleno quite aggressively priced compared to the Ignis.

Edit:

Quote:
Exactly. You have very precisely captured the reasons!
Given the constraints, isn't 5k a solid number month on month? MSIL would also have done studies on Ignis' target market and configured its supply chain accordingly right?

Last edited by deetjohn : 7th April 2017 at 19:18. Reason: Adding quote.
Old 7th April 2017, 19:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I don't think we can do a sales comparison between the Baleno and Ignis.

Ignis is a 'premium compact' which can mainly work for bachelors, young families or as a city runabout in a bigger garage.

While Baleno is a much more spacious car which can work for all those people and also as the single car for a family too. The market for the Ignis is quite small and evolving.

And it also doesn't help that Baleno quite aggressively priced compared to the Ignis.
Exactly. You have very precisely captured the reasons!

What I intended to say with my above post is the same, that the Nexa network itself is not the big factor in the supposedly low 5K sales of Ignis.

But, again, it is only 3 months. We better wait for few more months to derive proper conclusions.
Old 7th April 2017, 20:32   #43
BHPian

One factor for the spurt mostly across the range could be due to the Financial year end. Don't companies get to write off depreciation or something beneficial to tax? Not sure, but just guessing.

I am so glad the Kwid is doing good. It's in a serious dog fight and it is still holding its own.

Feeling bad for Tata but I'm sure they are working hard. Broken record me says they need to re-brand the cars with a different name. (omg! anti-national!)

Ford could do much much better but they are just surviving. The Endeavour is not the benchmark of their sales and they have clear gaps in their portfolio which they should address immediately.

Innova impresses me the most. 7000 vehicles every month at a mind-boggling profit ratio. Can't beat that. Good job, Toyota.
Old 7th April 2017, 23:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post

3. 6k+ sales for the overpriced City? I guess most of the sales are from clearances of old stock with heavy discounts or could be the initial fancy factor or may be both. Should wait for April 17 figures to visualize the actual market response to the facelift model.

4. Slight dip in Ciaz sales may be due to the shift from normal MS dealership and Nexa. Perhaps potential buyers awaited for the transition to get complete so that they can book their cars from wider color options.
if price is to be defined by the competition, I wouldn't consider the city to be over priced. At least the zxi petrol which I believe is the major contributor. Look at the competition(Creta, Vento). Am not considering the Verna(too old). every car is priced thereabouts but for once, it's the Honda which is feature laden. The city has the largest collection of automatics which is a very smart move IMO.

As regards ciaz, Which colours are we talking about, I think it's only one- blue!! I also think from now on it will be a downward trend for the same till the new engine options don't come in. Again, it's the diesel which is the bread winner compared to the insipid petrol.

Correlating with the above, The city petrol has a free reign. Don't get me wrong, I am desperately looking for an alternative, but there simply isn't any at this price point.
Old 7th April 2017, 23:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
1. What is up with Baleno? Was maruti giving it up for free, sales up by 163%!! Wonder if the primary rival i20 ever did cross 15K mark. Stupendous! Baleno has overtaken Swift (don't know if it's for the first time) and is eyeing the Dzire. Don't know if it's a one off thing, let's watch out.
The reason might be the commencement of production at the Sanand plant.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks