Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2017, 20:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car has the best seats?

I used to love Swift's seats till I developed slight back ache. Now I can drive it only with additional back support which in turn reduced the under thigh support. However, with the same back(ache) I drove Storme for 15 hours without any issue. So for me, Safari has best seats so far.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 22:03   #17
BHPian

Maruti Ritz.
Its an underrated Maruti car but the front seats are amazing. Very comfortable in its class with good all around padding and thigh support.
Once in dire circumstances I had a 300km ride in the morning (8AM-12.30PM) followed by a normal day's office (1PM-8PM). No pain of any kind and the credit goes to those incredible seats.
For higher segments I found newly launched Tata Hexa seats to be excellent.
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 22:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

TATA Zest / Indica Vista /Manza have awesome seats. The fact that these cars have seats on higher side makes you sit in really good position.

Indica vista/Manza rear seats are really awesome, they are better than ZEST which seems to have a slightly inclined rear seat squab.
I have not been inside high end cars for good amount of time, so cannot compare with them.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 01:23   #19
BHPian

I believe this is too much of an open-ended question. Too many people not only are used to different cars but also comfort varies depending on what aspect they reach a conclusion on - is it thigh support? Is it back comfort? Is it leg space?

Unless it is a sports car, anything above 15 lacs is invariably comfortable - if it is not, then both the buyer and the car company need shrinks.

So I am going to stick to Indian manufactured cars below that price range since most of the sales are in that segment.

1. In terms of comfort and leg space, I'd say the Nissan Sunny has been excellent - you can really stretch out.

2. The Vento is also extremely comfortable at the back. It has decent under thigh support, leg room and the seats are very comfortable.

I abhor the few Ertigas I've sat in - most of them Ubers. The AC vents blow directly on your head. At least the Ubers don't have Captain seats in the second row.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 07:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Absolutely the sportiest seats that I have sat and driven in, has to be the Global Fiesta's.
You can say that again!

The front seats were the main reason why I picked the Titanium variant. Its firm and got generous bolstering for the sides and the thighs. Also love that angle on the headrest, helps to support the head in its natural position.

Which car has the best seats?-front-seats2.jpg

Most manufacturers do get the front seats reasonably right for the mainstream offerings. Sure, there are some odd ones out there - Honda for instance and also the vehicles which have been forced to fit into the 4 meter small car bracket like the Brezza.

What's deficient in most is the rear seat, especially the under thigh support. The ones in Compass looks promising. I also like the ones in Creta.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 08:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have got a great butt tenured over a long period of riding motorcycle and cars that every seat feels good. The lean angle of the seat is all i need with good support at the thighs.

But since the butt has taken enough tempering mainly riding motorcycle even Nano seats feel great. But i have to say for a cheap automatic the Nano seats are wonderful. I vote for Nano.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 10:50   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The front seats were the main reason why I picked the Titanium variant. Its firm and got generous bolstering for the sides and the thighs. Also love that angle on the headrest, helps to support the head in its natural position.
Love the EcoSport seats! Found them to be extremely supportive (although heavier folk might feel they're too tight):

The Endeavour is no less. Again, excellent seats (seems to be a Ford thing):

Among the hatchbacks, I loved the Elite i20's front seats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
However, with the same back(ache) I drove Storme for 15 hours without any issue. So for me, Safari has best seats so far.
As Silverado posted, the taller seating height of UVs automatically lends them a more comfortable posture.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 10:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Love the EcoSport seats! Found them to be extremely supportive (although heavier folk might feel they're too tight):

The Endeavour is no less. Again, excellent seats (seems to be a Ford thing):

It is said that Ford seats improved dramatically during the period when they owned Volvo. The Ecosport seat definitely seems inspired from the S60 seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Which car has the best seats?-2017_volvo_s60_frontseat.jpg  

reignofchaos is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 11:40   #24
BANNED

The question is abstract, like no doubt a Bentley would have leagues apart seating comfort than a Swift, but in that matter Swift seating comfort is any day better than of alto.

Let me categorize as per vehicle segment (including the sub segments like A including A+, A++ etc) as we always do in TBHP. I will compare of those I am exposed to. Please note these are as per my comfort level, as to comfortability, to each his own.

A Segment - Front seat:
A star and Spark
A Segment - Rear seat:
All of them are either mixer grinder or front load washing machine. Apparently most of them are tall boy and hence body roll is evident and the seats give the minimal support possible to the occupants. Believe me as we BHPians find our way to pilot seat always, the sporadic moments I find myself in the backseat, they are horrible. We can have a worst seat competition here, rather than best seat.

B Segment - Front seat:
It is a close competition here as most of them offer more or less similar stuff. Still I find Swift is marginal better.
B Segment - Rear seat:
Similar to A segment, non of them can categorized as extreme comfortable. I will just give them a miss.

Compact SUV - Front seat:
No doubt it is Eco sport.
Compact SUV - Rear seat:
I feel I20 active, if we consider that as a compact SUV, has better sitting comfort with good thigh and back support.

C Segment - Front seat:
Honda city it is, for me it is very comfortable and hugging. The seats are there to take you for a long drive.
C Segment - Rear seat:
I feel Vento is pretty comfortable. Always prefer a vento for Pune-Mumbai airport taxi trips, I can literally sleep through the Ghat section when the driver is cruising. Then next I can choose is Toyota Etios, the back support of rear seat is very good.

D Segment - front seat:
All VWs are for here, no doubts.
D Segment - rear seat:
Passat, again a VW. But believe me, for me it is that good.

SUVs below 20 lac segment - front seat:
Of course it has to be XUV.
SUVs middle seat:
XUV again, unfortunately we don't have many choices here.
SUVs rear seat: WARNING - AVOID

MUV Front/Middle seat:
Innova it is, again from very limited choices. The other MUVs are at least a segment or two below. We can't compare a Loggy or Ertiga to Innvoa. Anyway, none of them are comfortable either. I just ignore if a MUV has a 3rd row seat, for me that doesn't exist. If someone ever force me there, I will rather take uber .

I don't have any experience in the Luxury segment. Also in India, luxury segment has a very wide spread starting from 30 lac to 5 crore. And they are all supposed to provide excellent comfort, aren't they.

On a separate note, are we allowed to consider the back seat of an old Amby, nothing can beat it, not even a Merc I believe .

Last edited by PetrolRider : 14th June 2017 at 11:45.
PetrolRider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 11:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

The seats of the newer gen entry level cars like the Celerio, Eon, Alto and a few other hatchbacks with thin seats are just horrible for longer travel. I have recently started hating the seats of my Celerio due to the way the backrest is designed. In contrast, the seats of the Marutis higher up the line like the Swift, SX4, Ertiga, Ciaz and all are so comfortable. Driving the Celerio and SX4 parallely, the latter feels so good and prolonged driving will not cause any discomfort. However, these days, driving the celerio for more than one hour at a stretch becomes irritating and the lower back and bum will start hurting. Hence, I am planning a seat swap or some mega redesigning of the seat cushion. Just not sure who can do it for me in Bangalore.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 11:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think it is all in the mind. For a healthy man, it does not matter at all.

While I was student(And healthy), I used to travel standing in a public KSRTC bus for 3 hours out of 8-9 hours journey, and keep continuously looking for some available seat within the Bus.

The moment, I sense some human movement on the nearby seats, I used to be overwhelmed and I used to strategize all possible ways to grab that seat.

I think THAT seat which I used to get for remaining 5-6 hours of Journey was the MOST comfortable seat of all the cars / vehicles today.

Now, at this age and given health condition, even car seats, we feel uncomfortable to sit and travel for even 2-3 hours of journey.

So, I believe that it is our health condition and mental status that decides the seat comfort rather than the seat it self.

Sorry if you feel, this is OT

Last edited by gkveda : 14th June 2017 at 11:55.
gkveda is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 12:30   #27
BHPian

It is a very open ended question and answers would be more of a personal opinion and liking rather than actual comparison.

My vote goes for the Tata Safari Dicor seats. The front seats are very comfortable and has the right amount of softness ( I found the Storme seats to be more harder). The rear seats are also superbly comfortable.

The main plus points with the front two rows are the width of the seat and under-thigh support which is tremendous. One more major point is the height of seat from the floor. Since the seat is placed higher, you tend to have under thigh support inspite of keeping your lower legs 90 degrees with the thighs which is not the case with many Hatches, Sedans and even MUVs.( Personal opinion again and no offense to anyone).

Further the front captain seats have Lumbar support adjustment with three positions to choose from. Very few sub 10 lakhs cars are offered with one ( I am talking about 2007! Yes my Dicor is a 2007 EX model).

I could effortlessly do more than 1200 kms continuously with breaks for just nature calls and food. My father and mother aged 64 and 54 years respectively accompanied me on a 7000+ km in about 13 days from Delhi to Leh and back to hyderabad! They had no issues post trip.
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 12:36   #28
BHPian

Have always loved the Honda City seats from the first model till date.
Pics below of my 2000 model Honda City 1.5 EXI

The seats and fabric have held up very well over 17 years.
At 6 feet 1 and 90 kg, front seat comfort is very good and rear seat comfort is great as well.
Front seat drivers for this car have always been in the 90kg range
Attached Thumbnails
Which car has the best seats?-img_6657.jpg  

Which car has the best seats?-img_6660.jpg  

Which car has the best seats?-img_6667.jpg  

Which car has the best seats?-img_6669.jpg  

Redline6800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 12:39   #29
BHPian

The best seats I have sat in so far are of the Innova crysta. They are better than the old gen innova and any other car I have sat in.

P.S. I cannot coment on the Hexa which is referred to as better than crysta as I have never sat in one.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 14th June 2017 at 12:40.
Old 14th June 2017, 13:00   #30
BHPian

The seats of the VX variant of Honda Jazz (2015) is fairly good. For sub 10 lac cars, I find these seats among the best in the market - that despite obvious cost cutting by Honda. They provide enough back support and are comfortable for long drives, having driven for more than 12 hours at a stretch for more than 3 days in a week for a trip to south India from Pune. The front seats especially are good.

The rear 'magic' seats are more comfortable as compared to the seats in lower variant. The small adjustable recline angle goes a long way in ensuring the comfort of elderly passengers. The middle seat is however not for use. The under thigh support of the rear bench could have been slightly better. The seats in the lower variants are disappointing though.
feluda86 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks