Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2017, 08:29   #46
BHPian

Re: Ever sold a car (used) for more than you bought it (new)?

Yes,
Toyota Corolla:
Bought at 9800USD, year 2011
Ran 10600 miles
Sold: 10700USD, Year 2012

Reason: Supply demand & Tsunami effect due to non-availability of cars in US
groom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 08:33   #47
Team-BHP Support

We bought a 2003 Maruti 800 5-speed MPFi which had gone through 4 owners (all Parsi) in 2011 for ~Rs. 74,000/-. The car was to be used as a trainer for my wife who had just learnt how to drive from a training school. All that I spent on the car over 4-5 years was a fresh set of tyres and a couple of services at best. Sold the car in 2015 for ~ Rs. 72,000/-.

Bought a new mattress with that money (I am serious).

EDIT: Forgot to add that we also replaced the battery a year before selling.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th July 2017 at 09:03.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 09:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

I sold my previous Palio for 60% more than what I bought it for. But then again I had put in a 4 wheel Big brake kit with brembo pads, new alloys and tyres.

I have got some ridiculous offers for my current Cedia as well, lot more than what I bought it for not for sale though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
RD350 too. I hear prices have skyrocketed in the last decade.
I bought mine in 2010 and sold it in 2012 for twice of what I paid.
Old 28th July 2017, 11:25   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the '70s, there used to be a multi-year wait on car models in India. It wasn't uncommon for someone to use a Premier Padmini for 2 - 3 years, then sell it off in the market for a fat profit. Am certain it was the case with other hot items like the Bajaj Chetak (IIRC, 10 year waiting).
Haha, I clearly remember this. My parents used to buy the Fiat 1100D (later renamed as Premier Padmini). After using it for 3 years they used to sell it for nearly the same price at which they bought it. Meanwhile, the minute they bought a new car, they booked another one - waiting period was > 3 years.
Old 28th July 2017, 11:31   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I sold my previous Palio for 60% more than what I bought it for. But then again I had put in a 4 wheel Big brake kit with brembo pads, new alloys and tyres.

I have got some ridiculous offers for my current Cedia as well, lot more than what I bought it for not for sale though!

I bought my 84' RD 350 HT back in 2001 (Singled owned by an English Gentleman)- With a COMPLETE SET of spares imported from the UK including a spare bore-piston kit, ceramic coated piston rings, fiber reed valves, flat slide carbs, CDI unit, calculated expansion chambers chambers et.al.

The best part. I paid 18k for it Now, I get ridiculous offers ranging from 1.6L up to 3L Not that I have any intention to part with Pearl, EVER (Yep, that's her name)!

Last edited by navin : 28th July 2017 at 15:31.
aadithsince1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 12:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post

I bought my 84' RD 350 HT back in 2001 (Singled owned by an English Gentleman)- With a COMPLETE SET of spares imported from the UK including a spare bore-piston kit, ceramic coated piston rings, fiber reed valves, flat slide carbs, CDI unit, calculated expansion chambers chambers et.al.

The best part. I paid 18k for it Now, I get ridiculous offers ranging from 1.6L up to 3L Not that I have any intention to part with Pearl, EVER (Yep, that's her name)!
Let me try to beat you on that:

1987 RD350 bought in 2014 for 23k , getting around 2.5L for it after restoration!
Not for Sale though!
There is another Story about a Jeep but for another day
kcj3b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 12:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

1996 Bullet 500
Bought for 45k in a not so good engine condition in 2007.

Used it for 10k kms in as is state and re-built the complete bike to showroom standards which came upto half a lakh. Rode another 40k kms and sold it for 1.15l in 2015.
Talk about investment and using it.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 12:10   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

The simple answer is NO, never! All my cars have cost me money if I would compare to what I paid and what I got back. That is without taking all the other cost into consideration, which for some cars has been substantial.

Now to be honest, I have never owned a new car myself. We once bought a new Talbot Samba for my wife whilst living the UK, but that was the only one. The rest was company provided tin, or second hand.

Depreciation tends to be a lot less on second hand cars, so as long as you maintain the car properly the price at which you eventually sell might not be that far off from your original purchasing price.

I have and still owned many classic cars over the years. But I have never had a classic that skyrocketed as some do. E.g. take the Mercedes Pagoda. Current prices are 5-8 times what they were 5 years ago.

My Mercedes W123 is probably worth 2.5-3 times what I paid for it, but then I bought it more then 15 years ago and a lot of work and cost went into it over the years.

The best example I have of a car gaining value is probably my current 2002 Jaguar XJR. I bought it in 2009 whilst living in Kansas City, USA for $10-12.000 on Ebay. The original sales price in 2002 was well over $ 72.000 so talk about depreciation there! In 2012 I shipped it to the Netherlands. At that time it got valued for insurance purposes for about Euro 14.000. It has just been re-valued and it’s value is set at Euro 18.500. So this is a high end car, with initial huge depreciation, then many years of little second hand value and it seems that finally punters starting to appreciate them. And that is reflected in current prices trading.

We also bought a second hand Ford Focus for my wife from Carmax at around $10.000. We sold it back to them when we left the USA for around $7.000 or so. That is only a $1000 depreciation on a car that was my wife’s daily driver. Personally I consider that very good.

I’m amazed at some of the stories in this thread. Cars have always cost me money. I keep telling my wife I need to buy more expensive cars such as the Mercedes Pagoda so it will gain in value.

Some car values have gone crazy here in Western Europe. A friend of mine bought a second hand BMW Z8 (then just a few years old) a few years ago and it has tripled in value.

Some models of Porsches are skyrocketing as well, these are cars sometime only a year old. My good friend Peter does car valuations professionally. Typically this used to be the area of classic cars, i.e. anything over 25 years. Now a good chunk of what he sees are pretty, near new, cars. Especially on Porsches, he has some customers he visits every 6 months as the prices keep skyrocketing and the insurance needs to be adjusted accordingly.

So no money making cars for me, I’m afraid. I must be doing something wrong!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 12:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj3b View Post
Let me try to beat you on that:

1987 RD350 bought in 2014 for 23k , getting around 2.5L for it after restoration!
Not for Sale though!
There is another Story about a Jeep but for another day

Would have had a great story to tell about a 61' Petrol Ambassador that dad bought during his heydays (Dad taught me to drive in that car). After dad passed, I kept the car with me for a bit, eventually selling it for a meagerly 22k back then, about the same time I bought the RD. And mind you, the car was in complete original shape and in tip top condition.

I regret that sale to this day. More so for the nostalgia, than the value it holds in today's market. Fond memories never the less!

PS: I've been trying to locate the car (If ever it is still on road), and get it back. All in vain though. Is there a way one can do some 'online RTO' tracking is such a situation?
Old 28th July 2017, 13:15   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
PS: I've been trying to locate the car (If ever it is still on road), and get it back. All in vain though. Is there a way one can do some 'online RTO' tracking is such a situation?
You may try this link: https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/face...archStatus.jsp
rahulp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 14:31   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Ah the days!

During my MBA, we had a Yamaha RX 135 which a senior would sell to a college junior at the end of his MBA. The bike typically kept appreciating by about a 1,000 Rupees every year. My batch-mate, who had the bike, sold it off for Rs 1,000/- more than he bought it for.

And history repeated itself every year!

This way the bike had remained in the Institute for quite few years, and the sweet sounding two stroke engine would reverberate every day in the halls of the institute.
Same case with me in my 2nd Year Engineering.
My room partner bought a '94 RX 100 - MH 04 - XX 7871- single owner, in 2000 for INR 14.5 K. We spent some 4 K on restoring with original parts.
With almost regular service intervals maintenance spends and fond memories together, we sold it off to our junior for INR 21.5 K in 2003, before our last day in college.
Old 28th July 2017, 16:35   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
We bought a 2003 Maruti 800 5-speed MPFi which had gone through 4 owners (all Parsi) in 2011 for ~Rs. 74,000/-. The car was to be used as a trainer for my wife who had just learnt how to drive from a training school. All that I spent on the car over 4-5 years was a fresh set of tyres and a couple of services at best. Sold the car in 2015 for ~ Rs. 72,000/-.
Currently own a 2000 Maruti 800 5 speed Single owner used (Lady doctor used,I'm the second owner). Which was bought for Rs 25,000/- in 2015.

I have got numerous offers including an exchange with Kwid (Nope he did not offer me cash along with Kwid ). Haven't sold it yet and getting it little modded. I never expected such a great returns from a car!

In Fact it has paid itself by discouraging me to take Uber/Ola whenever i go to South Mumbai.
And No I have barely spend 2500-3000/- on the car, including the preparation i did on the car before my Mumbai - Kerala drive.

Last edited by johannskaria : 28th July 2017 at 16:39.
Old 28th July 2017, 17:38   #58
BHPian

Interesting thread indeed, a new car bought 10 years ago getting an appreciated value seems to be fun to see, however as it's already highlighted, inflation is the killer. And this is completely a different story in pre-owned car market, I would say 2-3 years is the sweet spot if you manage to get more value than you paid. A friend of mine sold 3 cars in a row, each car after about 1.5 years of use and 70k-100k profit.
Old 28th July 2017, 17:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

My dad got first generation M800 (Japan made) in late 80's for 65 K, it was a second hand purchase. Car was used for 1 year and was in good condition. We used it for complete 5 years and sold it for whopping 95 K

That was really a good appreciation after using a car for 5 years. Its a very very rare scenario though. I know few people getting similar appreciation for Yamaha RX100 and Old Bullets.
Old 28th July 2017, 20:25   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we all tend to forget the time value of money. Most examples here are 10+ years of ownership.

6.5 lakhs in 2007 has a value that is higher than 6.5 lakhs in 2017. But agreed, all these cars dont depreciate like most other cars.

For an example: My 10 lakh rupees Tata Safari has depreciated to 3.5 lakhs in 5 years! Whereas an Innova would still sell for its buying price(atleast 80%) in 5 years time. Talk about longer durations (10+ years), it would actually sell higher than the buying price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks