Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you want your next car to have a built-in Dashcam?
Yes 361 88.70%
No 20 4.91%
Don't care 26 6.39%
Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 16:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why Dash cams are essential in India?

No offence mate, but so many near misses within such a short period of time is not good! Like in the last video, in India we should typically reduce the speed at highway junctions where you see a lot of bikers. Its something you learn with experience. Anticipatory defensive driving is absolutely essential in India. Though a lot of times you may not be at fault, you can face mob justice at such locations, especially if the person you banged against is a locality.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 14th March 2018 at 16:01.
2000rpm is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 17:40   #47
BHPian

I completely agree with 2000rpm - Anticipatory Defensive drive. You should start practicing this early . No offences - Dashcam will only save you from trouble if you are left in a condition to use it or show it to someone else.{God forbid}

The tailgate video is perfect example of a "Bad Driver" thread. You should have not tailgated the pickup at first place, when it did not allowed you to change lanes, when you overtook him. Good skills to avoid hitting anything behind that truck.

Let your Dashcam capture accidents of others, not the ones in which you are involved or have near misses. Drive safe.

Another Question : You work for GOI & Ministry of Defense. Does your car flashes any of these information?

Enough of "Gyan" now: On a lighter note : If you believe in astrology, get your horoscope checked, if you & driving go hand in hand.

Apologies to sound too harsh.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 14th March 2018 at 17:55.
saurabh2711 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 18:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Wow, if all these are your videos, then I will be very afraid to drive around you.

1. Idiotic biker, but poor girl suffered a lot. From video, your braking is not really visible. Luckily the yellow bus driver stopped his bus in time.
2. Such roads where half the road is being constructed are very dangerous, as the speeds can lull the driver into false sense of safety. The tempo driver was lucky.
3. Your tailgating behavior would have cost you dearly! I hope you thanked your stars.
4. Speeding up at a village crossing? Really?

I urge you with sincerity, please read up/watch videos on safe riding. One of these days the offending vehicle would be a truck and the price one may pay would be too high.

If the videos are not yours, then all I have said is just irrelevant.
ani_meher is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 20:28   #49
BHPian

I was contemplating to buy a dashcam for a long time, it was on hold only for warranty related concerns VW service may raise since I wanted to go only with hardwired kit.
These videos and the dashcam thread videos had made me to order one right away.
Only thing is I will be charging the camera through USB and should live with a dangling wire to the windshield, nevertheless it is still better considering how bad the manners in our road is.

Cheers!
Old 14th March 2018, 23:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

^^^ The USB wire of dashcam is routed through A pillar, so nothing is dangling anywhere
Old 15th March 2018, 01:15   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
.... I wanted to go only with hardwired kit.
Any particular reason for this?
Old 15th March 2018, 05:04   #52
BHPian

I think Dashcams are necessary in India to avoid trouble/penalty in a better manner.

In India, some people have this notion "It's the fault of the bigger vehicle". If a cycle and a bike crash, it's the bike's fault. If a bike and a car crash, it's the car's fault.

So, in order to de-bunk this myth, prove our innocence and penalize the actual culprit, dashcams have become kinda important, the same way as CCTV footage has now become important at our homes and office premises.

Sidenote, with increased social media, they can be also be used to pen down better travelogues
sharktale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 05:26   #53
BHPian

A point to add to the third video:

When I see such a large truck changing lanes, I take it as something is obstructing his way in that lane. They are sitting at a very high seating position and hence they can see what we can't see. So I wouldn't try to overtake them unless I'm sure he is indeed giving me the right to pass.
knightrider_7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 07:36   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post
Any particular reason for this?
I can have my USB port free to charge mobile device, also it is easy to route the cable from the fuse box to headline through A Pillar, rather than the centre console.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 09:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
it was on hold only for warranty related concerns VW service may raise since I wanted to go only with hardwired kit
I got dashcam installed via hard wire kit in my GT TSI assuming it should be fine as we are not cutting any wires. So I hope we should be fine. But now that you raised this concern, may be I shouldn't have done it?

Regarding the thread actual video, it would have been hard not to have hit the biker as he decelerated very rapidly. Might have had a brain fade moment making him forget about what vehicles are around him
Pacifier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 10:47   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo_romeo View Post
We all know how good Indian drivers and driving conditions are. Also in case of any incident how helpful local Police can be especially when you don't speak their language. I learned my lesson the hard way.
No offence mate, you really need to work on your anticipatory driving skills. It was more of your luck than anything that converted these incidences in to near misses otherwise it could have been too bad. Especially, the tailgating incidence was too risky.

A dash cam will not save you from a mishap. It can only prove your innocence in case it is someone else's mistake but in case of that tailgating it was all your fault so a dash cam is useless there.

Focus on your driving skills to make it safer for you and others in your car rather than on a dash cam.

Again, this is out of concern and not to offend you in anyway.

Drive safe!
the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 11:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Wow, if all these are your videos, then I will be very afraid to drive around you.
No offence to OP but I completely agree with ani_meher's observations. In the last video named " almost killed a biker", I think it was a junction or road crossing and you didn't care to slow down. Moreover, Yes, sometimes its necessary to tailgate a vehicle but then we should always try to get a glimpse of whats ahead fo that vehicle. You could have kept your vehicle closer to divider behind that mini tuck and try to get the idea of whats ahead of it. It takes hardly two seconds to get a glimpse of situation. You faced that halted truck(it was close) in "why you should never tailgate" just because you didn't keep enough distance from that mini truck and you didn't slow down after seeing a rashly driven vehicle (Mini truck).

Take Care, Buddy!!

Last edited by SJM1214 : 15th March 2018 at 11:15. Reason: Minor Change.
SJM1214 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 12:14   #58
BHPian

Re: Why don't cars come with dashcams as standard fitment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifier View Post
I got dashcam installed via hard wire kit in my GT TSI assuming it should be fine as we are not cutting any wires. So I hope we should be fine. But now that you raised this concern, may be I shouldn't have done it?
Also it boils down to the relationship you have with the dealer.
Most VW dealers (not generalizing) will find a way to blame you if a need arise on warranty front.
We also have a CIAZ in our stable and when it comes to Maruti they had even helped me to fit all aftermarket accessories at service centre.

Cheers!
Old 17th March 2018, 00:53   #59
BHPian

Re: Why don't cars come with dashcams as standard fitment?

How about Dashcam at rear? So that they run simultaneously? Not sure about the clarity as the Windshield glass and the Rear glass are different.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 09:15   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
No offence mate, but so many near misses within such a short period of time is not good!
I completely agree with you, but often my work profile forces me to drive like that, Though our vehicles are marked still people hardly care, Motive behind these videos is to tell people especially youngsters, what they can expect on highways. especially at intersections. When with family I am more defensive at driving.

Last edited by ampere : 18th March 2018 at 10:02. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
bravo_romeo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks