Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you want your next car to have a built-in Dashcam?
Yes 361 88.70%
No 20 4.91%
Don't care 26 6.39%
Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2017, 11:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Why don't cars come with dashcams as standard fitment?

Not all BHPians have dashcams. I don't own a car, but haven't been able to convince my parents to buy a dashcam for our two cars at home.

While I agree that they are useful, they are not mandated by law. So why would a manufacturer incorporate such a feature in a mass market car?

My parents don't find the dashcam necessary, there will be a million other Indians who find it useless.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 13:14   #17
BHPian

Very interesting topic. I had some discussions with my Volvo dealer about it. Obviously they did not have any official statement from Volvo, but had some ideas based on their experience.
In fact my V40 comes with a camera built in that supports Road Side Information (RSI), but that is it, It does not do anything else. However from a reliability point of view, I don't see fitting dash cams or any other part as a concern. Every company has parts from third parties, its fairly easy to deal with sourcing of parts and service with expected quality and service levels.

As audioholic rightly pointed out, privacy of people and other vehicles on the road is a significant topic. This legality and sensibility varies by a big margin across borders. We see that the same topic also touches other areas as well. I have seen debates about speed camera spotting devices/maps/apps as they are not legal in some countries. Even autonomous driving features would probably raise lots of questions when it comes to insurances and similar topics until such things become a standard across the board so that people and companies by then would know how to deal with such things when it comes to after-market services. On-board computers were unheard of until couple of decades ago; now every mechanic has some sort of a computerised diagnosis setup in place. All it took was time which was needed for the adoption.

Similarly, my view is that the features such as dash cameras, internet connectivity, computer assisted driving, over the air troubleshooting and services, gps/internet based theft handling services etc will become standard offerings or accessories in near future. It is just that everyone needs to learn and standardize services surrounding such new generation topics.

Last edited by dileepcm : 6th August 2017 at 13:16.
dileepcm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 15:29   #18
BHPian

The Corvette comes with a basic 720p option for $1800, they call it a PDR (Performance Data Recorder). Even at that price it's more of a track day accessory. The cars most of us drive aren't going to see one integrated for a long time to come.

Will car manufacturers be able to keep up with the evolution of the sensor and chipset industry? Looking at the state of OEM head units, I think not.

Will the resolution and features being offered vary with the variant/trim one chooses? Imagine getting a 480p version with the lowest trim, that's going to be a complete bummer.

The technology will eventually trickle down to mass-market brands but in all likelihood even the best OEM integrated cameras won't be able to complete with a standalone dash cam.

Last edited by harsh79 : 6th August 2017 at 15:43.
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 18:23   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Why don't cars come with dashcams as standard fitment?

Would love one in my car if it was factory fitted & nicely integrated.

However, manufacturers won't offer it until there's actual demand for it. Most people wouldn't care about it, and some would actually prefer not to have it. Say, a rash driver or a husband having an affair .

There is also the question of privacy. Tomorrow's cars are going to be connected. It's scary to think of your live video feed being viewed by a 3rd party (I'm the kind of guy who pastes a sticker on his laptop camera).
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 18:40   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted YES but highly unlikely it will become reality. Apart from everything else, it adds another set of legal issues for manufacturers as they have to commit to the dash-cam functioning as expected for many years to come, and meet exact parameters (some statutory) across a vast range of countries, physical environments and driver-specific handling.

If I were a car manufacturer, I would freak at such a 'highly visible' commitment (pun intended). Better to outsource to third parties where no one owns the 800lb gorilla in the room (in the aftermath of a contentious accident)
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 19:36   #21
BHPian

Its a good idea but i think still a few months/years ahead of its time. Like many others i would prefer manufacturers put that extra buck into the safety rather than cut corners to put in a dashcam at the same price.

I also think a standard dashcam (lower priced ones) would not make all customers happy as some may prefer one with gps (more $$$) and rest may feel its too expensive due to dashcam and hence go for a lower variant.

I have hardwired my dashcam thanks to the electronics wizards of team bhp who have graciously made it very easy for others to do it.
xsrahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 21:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Well, when a manufacturer has to provide a feature, it should be legally compliant. I have a dashcam in my car, but if we see them from a broader point of view, it is not legal to record footage without the consent of the public whoever the dashcam is capturing. Neither is it allowed to capture footage from some sensitive and protected areas. Unless the law allows dashcams to be used as a protective equipment and as an evidence for any road incidents, manufacturers cannot provide such an accessory from the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Can dashcam footage be admitted as evidence in our courts? I think if CCTV footage can be admissible in court why not from dashcams?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post
This legality and sensibility varies by a big margin across borders. We see that the same topic also touches other areas as well. I have seen debates about speed camera spotting devices/maps/apps as they are not legal in some countries.
The legality of it all is a very important consideration. The Wikipedia page for Dashcams says the following about its legal standing in various countries.
  • Popular in many parts of Asia, Europe (particularly the U.K., France, and Russia, where they are explicitly allowed by regulations issued in 2009 by the Ministry of the Interior ), Australia, and the U.S.

• They are forbidden by law in Austria, where they carry heavy fines.

• In Switzerland, their use is strongly discouraged in public space as they may contravene data protection principles.

• In Germany, while small cameras for personal use in vehicles are allowed, posting footage from them on social-media sites is considered a violation of privacy and thus forbidden. Dashcam footage may only be used in exceptional cases as evidence in a German court.

• In Luxembourg, it is not illegal to possess a dashcam but it is illegal to use one to capture videos or still images in a public place (which includes in a vehicle on a public road). Recording using a dashcam may result in a fine or imprisonment.

• In Australia recording on public roadways is allowed as long as the recording does not infringe upon one's personal privacy in a way that may be deemed inappropriate in a court of law.

• In the United States, at the federal level, "the video taping of public events is protected under the First Amendment" right. Videotaping of non-public events and videotaping-related issues, including sound recording and matters related to time of the day, venue, manner of recording, privacy concerns, implications on motor vehicle moving violation issues (such as whether the windshield view is being blocked), etc., are dealt with at the state level.

As far as India is concerned, as things stand now, it is not illegal. This has more to do with ommission than commission. Our lawmakers probably haven't even thought about this issue yet.

I asked the following questions to a constitutional expert - Senior Advocate at the Supreme Court, Mr. Sanjay R. Hegde.

Is video recording of public places allowed by law?
Everything is allowed unless specifically prohibited.

Can this video footage be submitted as evidence in accident cases?
Can be submitted. However, the videographer may gave to depose and give a certificate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Manufacturers won't offer it until there's actual demand for it. Most people wouldn't care about it, and some would actually prefer not to have it.
Most people don't even know what a Dashcam is. You should see the wonderment in their faces when I show them my Dashcam. And these are doctors and professors. The awareness is so very low. The demand will increase only if/when people get educated about its usefulness.
samaspire is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 21:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
So my question is that when it is so easy and inexpensive, why don't OEM's provide it as a feature in their cars straight from the factory.
I guess making them mandatory would be the solution. As long as it is not manufacturers will find every excuse not to provide it or at least charge a bomb. See the case of ABS and Airbags a few years ago and now.
I still can't understand the logic of those who voted No or I don't care. Why should you object to something that can save you.

Quote:
husband having an affair .
That would only be a problem if he's parked the car with the ignition on and is dancing around some trees with the mistress in front of the car.
But on a serious note in addition to the dash cam focussed on the road, having a dash cam focussed on the car interior will be quite useful if you employ a driver and want to know how he's treating your car. Also a good safety measure if you are making the driver drop your kids to school etc.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 6th August 2017 at 21:52.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 00:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

In India, awareness is the very low about dashcams, hence demand is very low and adding it as a standard may not help the car companies.

Apart from accident related cases, there may be other instances where dashcam may be helpful. Recently one of my acquaintances while trying to help a lady was almost blackmailed by the lady after getting into the car demanding money/valuables. Luck saved him that day. A dashcam could have captured the lady in question when she flagged him down, secondly it would have recorded the conversation.

During my recent trip to Singapore and China, I have noticed that large number of cars use dashcams. In China, all the cabs that I hired had two cameras on the dashboard, one facing front and another facing rear (I guess, rear facing one was for recording passengers).

Last edited by airbus : 7th August 2017 at 00:16. Reason: Minor correction.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 01:43   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a way so that everyone might benefit > the car manufacturers must collaborate with the cam manufacturers and provide a slot with easy power connection in the front of the dashboard/upper portion where the center RVM is mounted.. the provision must be such that the camera should be a click-fit and so should be the power source (ala mobile charging port) and it should be easy to remove as well. How the AV line and recording will be integrated into that port I've no idea (assuming the line is connected to Android auto for instant playback and review) so that might be a bit more difficult as it'd need a channel routed through the roof via the side thru the A-pillar and onto the screen.

That is an ideal situation, realistically the manufacturers are not obliged to do so, yet. I don't think even in Russia the country with the largest number of car-cams is it compulsory for manufacturers to equip their models as such. However if the buyers do so they get insurance premium benefits over there (I think).

Currently the world is obsessed with autonomous driving and electric cars, so in due course perhaps cameras and parking sensors will be default in all cars but not in a way that would be human-usable.. they'll just be there to aid the car computers in driving. Presently the amount of trouble one has to go though to maintain and run a car.. almost makes it seem not worth its while sometimes.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 01:56   #26
BHPian

If installation of CCTV cameras in offices and homes and public spaces is allowed, why should dash cams be treated differently. Suddenly dash cams are a topic of legality and privacy.

Dash cams are rather the single most important in-vehicle accessory for anyone driving on especially Indian roads. In fact not only one at the front, but one recording the rear of the car are both equally important.

No, cars don't need to come prefitted with dash cams. One can easily go online and purchase one based on requirement from the thousands available online. Amazon US store ships to India, and plenty of what it ships cost less (including customs) to get to India than it would've had you purchased from a seller in the India store. That's how I got mine, and ever since has been my second eye on the lunatic-infested roads of Pune.

It is subjective really. Finding dash cams useless is basically saying he/she does not understand what it does. Let someone install one in their car, god forbid meet with a roadside incident and realize how the video recorder saves the driver from paying a hefty fine or going to jail for another person's mistake. End of story.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 10:26   #27
BHPian

It is only a matter of time when Technology, Usefulness, Safety, Protection and public utilitarian value, forces the authorities to update the Law.

As a kid in early 80's, I remember Vespa coming out with the concept of having indicators as standard fitment on its 150cc scooter series. They advertised this feature aggressively as how an indicator allows signaling without the rider having to lift his hand from the handle bar, and hence an indicator would mean more safety. Within a decade, indicators were made mandatory set of equipment on two wheelers.

FFD (Factory Fitted Dashcam) too can become mandatory equipment provided a established manufacturer takes the first step and advertises it heavily. Moreso, results can be much quicker if press/media links the non-availability of dash-cams to an incident of ground-shaking crime (the one that is hot on media debate and has become a subject of attention for politicians, media, and the nation as a whole); like say "if the victims car was equipped with a dashcam, then the criminal could have been identified easily", the authorities will respond much faster in amending the Law.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 10:51   #28
BHPian

But would installing a dashcam affect the warranty if it is hard-wired? The Nexa dealer seemed to indicate so, but honestly she didn't even know what a dash-cam was and confused it with a reverse camera.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 11:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for yes.
But Similar to Navigation, if there are no factory fitted dashcams, users have a freedom of upgrading easily to anything new in the market. Till very recently people preferred factory fitted Dashcams, but now Many people don'r prefer it because using navigation on phone is easier and more up to date in terms of features and details.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 11:49   #30
BHPian

Yes, I would love to have nicely integrated Dash Camera. Currently what I have is typical Indian style (jugaad) with wire hanging

Quote:
(I'm the kind of guy who pastes a sticker on his laptop camera).
As for privacy, i 've stuck black insulation tape even for my tablets.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks