Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2017, 17:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo Edition. EDIT: Now launched at 10.75 lakhs

Skoda has started accepting bookings for the Rapid Monte Carlo Edition. The car is expected to be launched later this month.

The Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo Edition. EDIT: Now launched at 10.75 lakhs-rapid-monte-carlo.jpg

The Rapid Monte Carlo Edition will be offered in a red exterior paint with contrasting black details including a black grille and bumper vents, ORVMs, window trim, roof, lip spoiler and rear diffuser. The car also gets smoked headlights and fog lamps and rides on dual-tone alloy wheels.

The black theme has been carried over on the inside as well. The cabin features black leather with red & white inserts and stitching to match, while the air-conditioning vents are finished in gloss black. It also gets aluminium pedals like the Octavia vRS. The Monte Carlo Edition is likely to be equipped with features such as a touchscreen infotainment system, climate control with rear vents, electric mirrors, ABS and airbags among others.

The Monte Carlo Edition will be mechanically identical to the standard Rapid, which is offered with a 1.6-litre petrol and 1.5-litre diesel engines. While, a 5-speed manual gearbox is available as standard, Skoda is also expected to offer a 6-speed automatic and a 7-speed DSG on the petrol and diesel variants respectively.
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 18:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo Edition. EDIT: Now launched at 10.75 lakhs

I am amazed at the speed at which Skoda brings in variants, they can very well compete with "DC Design Studio".

It seems that Skoda India designers are always experimenting with their models and try to keep them fresh.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 19:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks great both inside out. This one is my favorite variant of the Vento.

Wonder why Skoda is not adding the most desirable powertrain though - the 1.2 TSI + DSG.

That will make it a very lovely package.
deetjohn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 21:54   #4
BHPian

Monte Carlo edition definitely looks hot. However, again an opportunity lost to launch with that brilliant 1.2 TSi. The Rapid with a more comprehensive facelift looks much fresher than the Vento. It certainly deserves to have the 1.2 TSi, may be with a manual to provide a little more choice to customer

Last edited by octane_100 : 11th August 2017 at 21:55. Reason: Correcting typo
octane_100 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 22:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Monte Carlo edition definitely looks hot. However, again an opportunity lost to launch with that brilliant 1.2 TSi. The Rapid with a more comprehensive facelift looks much fresher than the Vento. It certainly deserves to have the 1.2 TSi, may be with a manual to provide a little more choice to customer
That must be a conscious product planning decision by the VAG board. To me the larger petrol engine is a gem.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 10:41   #6
BHPian

TSi for all its glory is still a smaller engine with turbocharging and hence would have a lower end turbolag and hence probably frustrating driving in manual transmission. And that's the reason they give it only with DSG. Don't know about the other markets, but in India 1.6MPI with TC is a great combo and quite a reliable one.

PS: Experts forgive me if I am wrong.
aadya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 19:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
TSi for all its glory is still a smaller engine with turbocharging and hence would have a lower end turbolag and hence probably frustrating driving in manual transmission. And that's the reason they give it only with DSG. Don't know about the other markets, but in India 1.6MPI with TC is a great combo and quite a reliable one.

PS: Experts forgive me if I am wrong.
Are you saying the Rapid 1.6 MPFI with a Torque Converter drives better than a Vento TSi 1.2 with DSG?

I am asking as I am in the market and have narrowed down my choice between Vento TSi, Octavia vRS so far.
Old 13th August 2017, 19:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Are you saying the Rapid 1.6 MPFI with a Torque Converter drives better than a Vento TSi 1.2 with DSG?

I am asking as I am in the market and have narrowed down my choice between Vento TSi, Octavia vRS so far.
Not a chance! The TSi is much much more engaging to drive, and the 1.6mpi is very sluggish in comparison.
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 10:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Not a chance! The TSi is much much more engaging to drive, and the 1.6mpi is very sluggish in comparison.
What I infer is that VAG and its subsidaries might not be mating TSi with manual gear box due to the turbolag which is not present in the NA MPI engine or when TSi is mated with super intelligent DSG.

Any day TSi+DSG wins hands down in the driving pleasure and experience.

Same time MPI+TC will blow away the ASS concerns of VAG and SKODA by the sheer reliability factor. You can own one without Engine or Transmission trouble for upto 2Lakhs and more Kilometre, which cannot be said for the DSG+TSi combo.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 10:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless you plan to have both the cars, I can't think of any reason why you should choose Vento over Octavia. The 1.2 TSI is good, but the 1.8 TSI is great and the 2.0 TSI is heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Don't know about the other markets, but in India 1.6MPI with TC is a great combo and quite a reliable one.
AFAIK, the Vento 1.6 AT was discontinued due to Poor Demand, and that the 1.2 was launched as replacement, they have kept the 1.6 Petrol for those looking at Manual Vento Petrol. That's the only reason I know.

While 1.2 TSI AT is good, the Manual will make it a regular variant. Because as you know, ATs have more Novelty factor compared to Manual which is very common here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I agree, I have driven my friend's Vento 1.6 AT and I felt it lacking power & also very thirsty. The TSI is leagues ahead. He did manage to sell it in 2015. And the reasle is last thing in the nail, 4.2 lakhs.

When the car was new, I asked him. Why did you buy this ? Vento AT ?

His answer was SX4 is dated, City doesn't have features, while Vento is New & has 6 Speed AT. I was like , I told him, I think you've made a mistake. He agreed when he sold it in 2015.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 12:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
When the car was new, I asked him. Why did you buy this ? Vento AT ?

His answer was SX4 is dated, City doesn't have features, while Vento is New & has 6 Speed AT. I was like , I told him, I think you've made a mistake. He agreed when he sold it in 2015.
Do you think Vento TSi could be mistake, for somebody who has a budget of under 15L on road and the primary focus is on petrol automatic - driver's car?
Old 14th August 2017, 13:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think Vento TSi could be mistake, for somebody who has a budget of under 15L on road and the primary focus is on petrol automatic - driver's car?
No, the Vento 1.6 MPi AT is a mistake (now known as the Rapid Petrol Automatic).
The TSi is simply brilliant an engine, and mated with the mature dynamics of the Vento make it the most fun to drive sedan in it's class.

The City with it's CVT Gearbox, the Ciaz with it's 1.4L 4 speed transmission, and the Verna all have boring engines and transmissions; along with average dynamics.

Last edited by lamborghini : 14th August 2017 at 13:51.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 18:18   #13
BHPian

While Skoda is accepting bookings for this, do we know if there is a Petrol DSG variant available aka 1.2 TSi?
Old 14th August 2017, 18:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
While Skoda is accepting bookings for this, do we know if there is a Petrol DSG variant available aka 1.2 TSi?
No, there is no 1.2 TSi in Rapid. There are no mechanical changes to Monte Carlo edition.
Old 14th August 2017, 21:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

how are you exactly planning to get your hand on a vRS for under 15 lacs, you will probably need 30 Lacs and abit more. You are comparing two cars in two completely different segments.

You can probably look at rapid Diesel with DSG, that would be a good pick for you.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks