Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2018, 22:09   #31
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website

https://www.rushlane.com/new-mitsubi...-12149563.html

Seems like other media outlets are picking up news from Team-BHP’s threads without even mentioning our forum. 😜
Fulcrum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 22:30   #32
Team-BHP Support

What’s the term - Dead on arrival?

Who in right frame of mind is going to buy this petrol suv at 32 lac ex-showroom, I believe petrol fortuner is also dud as far as sales are concerned. An outside chance could have been a single digit numbers had they launched 6 cylinder petrol 4*4.

Wonder how come a guy like Carlos Ghosn not have a strategy for 4th largest market?
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 15:38   #33
BHPian

I have always wondered, in the premium Petrol SUV space no one offers a turbo petrol (not taking into account the Big 3 Germans)
Outlander is using the same 2.4 petrol engine, they could have used the 2.0 turbo to atleast make the car more fun. I don't think the FE would be largely different.
Honda CR-V uses the same 2.4 petrol engine again and same nothing exciting from the car
Hyundai Tucson similar story.
Petrol SUV with the NA engine will not be as fun as their turbo counterparts and i am not sure if they give any real world FE advantage.
I remember reading that the Skoda Vrs gives about 11-12 KPML on the highway, elentra with 2.0 NA gives marginally better.
Will not a 2.0 or 2.4 Turbo petrol make the petrol SUV better proposition.
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 16:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Just like the previous one did nothing to challenge the segment leader Fortuner, this one will follow suite as well. It already looks dated and old fashioned.
Mitsubishi has really nothing going on for it as a car manufacturer in India. They really need to go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by bigron : 15th May 2018 at 16:40.
Old 15th May 2018, 17:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Small wheel wells, small tires make this look like an MUV rather SUV. Why even bother launch an old irrelevant product? Wait, Is Mitsubishi trying to dump an unsold inventory here in India?
Old 15th May 2018, 22:04   #36
BHPian

Is this really marketed as competition to the Tucson and the Compass? If yes, how so, given the price difference? Anyway, if this is intended to be used as a true off-roader, then why bother with a petrol engine at all? It’s not like the refinement of a petrol engine matters to someone taking this to climb over boulders! I doubt this is going to be used by anyone for their daily office commutes, going by the sparsely appointed interiors and bland cabin. I mean, give me some reason to buy this over the Jeep, the Fortuner, or even the Tucson. Heck, after seeing the richly appointed interiors of the Kodiaq, I can’t imagine anyone falling head over heels for this one.

Also, can someone please explain why it is so difficult for a car manufacturer to just throw in CarPlay/Android Auto? Is it that expensive to do it? I barely remember the last time I used the stock UI on my Superb, since it has CarPlay.
The same goes with Toyota. AFAIK, even their Lexus range doesn’t offer these two platforms. Virtually everyone has a smartphone running either of these OSes these days, so why are manufacturers reluctant to offer these as standard? Can’t be just cost. I’m just curious to know. The Outlander’s infotainment system looks plain sad.
gk1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 01:40   #37
BHPian

This car is available in US market also and I was considering buying this car in US during 2015. Here is my observation.

For US market.
- Very small third row, Suitable only for Kids.
- Only Top end get conventional automatic and rest comes with CVT for a big car.
- If you want conventional automatic gear box, price is dangerously close to Toyota Highlander/Honda Pilot which are best Sellers of the segment which benefits from slightly bigger in space and power.
- Good part is , its traction control is very good which does the torque split between front-and-back as well as side-to-side too (2015 Highlander's traction control is not so good to do side-to-side torque vectoring) .

For Indian Market is considered
- Availability of only Petrol model is an issue.
- Soft styling some SUV lovers might not like.
- Price too close to segment leader Fortuner and also to Endeavor.
- Unibody design makes at least few to stay away.
- Even if someone considered buying, there will be a competition from its own brother Pajero which I feels is a better package for small additional money.
arunrajk81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 11:25   #38
BHPian

32 Lakh ex showroom is so bloody expensive for the outlander. The older outlander looked much prettier.

They should have forgotten about the outlander and just brought in the new gen Pajero Sport.
abhinavsureka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 20:08   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Credits - Sharon Valsalan in 4x4 India FB group.

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-image1.jpeg

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-image3.jpeg

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-image5.jpeg

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-image4.jpeg

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-image2.jpeg
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 22:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

IMHO this is a DOA product. Mitsu should first look at managing existing customers with good service. Their vehicles are excellent but after sales spoils the whole game. I know this first hand since I have a 2011 Pajero and it takes a substantial effort to maintain it. It's not everyone's cup of tea to service their vehicle themselves.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 02:01   #41
BHPian

All said and done Mitsubishi needs to work on their after sales service along with a stronger dealership network but then again what's the point for the same when you don't even have 5 products in your portfolio?

Gone are the days when Mitsubishi had that snob value or people looked up to them. There Indian portfolio is nothing to talk about. All feels spartan (I meant from the Price Point of View) there current designs looks outdated when compared to the competition nor do they've that oomph factor in terms of performance too.

Mitsubishi needs to up there game and introduce products like Eclipse Cross, Pajero Sport, Attrage and maybe the ASX. Another thing that eats me up though why are they moving their entire portfolio towards UV especially when they know how brilliant there sedans were at one point of time. Why not develop a few of them again and take the game notches higher or has the preference towards SUV has shifted in abroad too?
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 09:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

With Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi part of the same group now, they need to rethink their India strategy. For starters they now have 4 brands in India if you include Datsun. And the market share of all 4 combined together is not even 3%!

So why should Mitsubishi even exist in India? Their halo products like the lancer and pajero are long gone. May be the Pajero has a legacy, but the fortuner is the king and the Endy is no slouch either.

Rather I think they should shut down Datsun and Mitsubishi in India and focus on Nissan and Renault where they have some chance. Even Nissan for the matter of fact does not stand for anything in India except probably Ola cabs! Renault is living dangerously on the success of the Kwid and the Duster, and once Hyundai gets its new Santro, the Kwid's numbers are set to fall even further.

So a huge task ahead for this group which is supposedly the largest in the world now! And still clueless in the Indian market!
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:23   #43
BHPian

I was so hopeful that Mitsubishi would have learnt from its past mistakes and thrown in a diesel engine in the new generation Outlander. Unfortunately, this launch leads to another disappointment and it seems as if they're deliberately not interested to operate in India. I mean, is the management blind that they can't see the competition there is in the 30-35L bracket? And launching a mid sized crossover when players like Fortuner, Endeavour and now Kodiaq exist?

Had it launched in competition to the Tuscon and somehow Compass, it would make a lot more sense and generate a lot more sales. But well, can't complain now as the car being a CBU attracts heavy duties from the government itself. This makes them nothing but a Pseudo-premium, just the way Honda considered itself to be once-upon-a-time. They should learn from other manufacturers' mistakes and develop a new strategy if they really want to sell here.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th May 2018 at 08:10. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

In 2011, we had a owner's day in Chennai where I got to meet Mitsubishi's country head. Their vision, approach, strategy, plan et.al were totally unsure, at least 4 to 5 years out of date and move like a worm. Even the slightest 'hope' of being realistic to Indian enthusiasts' hunger doesn't make any change in their plans.
My conclusion was: They are from different planet. No point "hoping" anything sensible or practical from them.
RajaTaurus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:51   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
In 2011, we had a owner's day in Chennai where I got to meet Mitsubishi's country head. Their vision, approach, strategy, plan et.al were totally unsure, at least 4 to 5 years out of date and move like a worm. Even the slightest 'hope' of being realistic to Indian enthusiasts' hunger doesn't make any change in their plans.
My conclusion was: They are from different planet. No point "hoping" anything sensible or practical from them.
I take it the Rebel Alliance (Renault - Nissan) have not knocked anything into their heads. Saying that Reanult and Nissan are adrift in India at the moment.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks