Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2017, 06:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Actually, Eclipse Cross would have been the right choice. It is up to date in technology and would have taken 'a little bit of everything' that sells here in Compact SUV market.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 09:59   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website

Folks seem to be forgetting that Mitsubishi is now part of the Renault Nissan Alliance, and so the old worries about the sustainability of Mitsubishi in the Indian market should be history.

http://www.businessinsider.in/Carlos...w/58438154.cms

Agree there is a diesel bias in large SUVs - but for people who don't drive too much, petrol is very viable - and reduces the risk of having a stranded asset 10 years out if India follows the rest of the world in cracking down on diesel. I drove the previous gen petrol Outlander in Australia, and it was quite good to drive. Of course it remains to be seen how Mitsubishi markets this product - but I would not jump to conclusions on its failure yet.
Old 25th August 2017, 10:07   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Folks seem to be forgetting that Mitsubishi is now part of the Renault Nissan Alliance, and so the old worries about the sustainability of Mitsubishi in the Indian market should be history.
Haven't Renault Nissan got enough issues on their plate already, than try and revive Mitsubishi in India?

With the exception of Kwid, the entire alliance with three brands under it - is really struggling at the market now. Mitsubishi will only add to their woes, and nothing more.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 23:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I also don't see why anyone would buy a Pajero Sport or an Outlander in it's current avatar given the competition. Maybe the crowd you mentioned knows a thing or two more than me.
I am the kind of customer who is eagerly waiting for the launch of new generation Pajero Sport.

Currently i own Pajero Sport which i preffered over previous generation fortuner and endeavour for the following reasons:

1. I am a self driven person and so preffer to use a single car for myself which is capable of doing all the roles of:
A) Business Car (built quality, long distance cruising ability, ride comfort, reliability, image and road presence)
B) Family Car (built quality, ride comfort, seating and luggage carrying capacity, reliability, all terrain ability)
C) Lyfestyle Vehicle (offroad ability, fun to drive, abuse friendly, comfort and reliability)
D) City Car (easy to manage in city driving, ease of parking)

2. I found Pajero Sport better than previous generation Fortuner and Endeavour in following aspects:
A) Most fun to drive in the class with better steering feedback and dynamics
B) Feels narrower than the competition and has better visibility at least from the driver seat and very easy to handle in
the city despite the dimensions.
C) Better Ride quality and overall built quality like a battle tank.
D) Equally reliable ownership experience compared to Toyota with not a single unscheduled maintenance visit in 4
years, 50k km ownership, aftersales service not Toyota good but never had any problem.
E) Little bit of exclusivity on the road.

3. Reasons i want to buy the latest generation Pajero Sport:
The additional things i want in my Pajero Sport which the latest generation provides:
A) Addition safety features like 6/7 airbags and electronic safety
B) Automatic transmission
C) Additional desirable features like LED headlights, sunroof, etc.

This ability of the Pajero Sport to become an ALL TERRAIN, ALL OCCASIONS vehicle makes it perfect self driven car for someone who has my kind of requirements.

Also, new generation 2017 Pajero Sport is rated above Fortuner as per many australian reviews and it is also 10% cheaper than Fortuner and 15-20% than Everest in their top trims in Australia. If Mitsubishi can maintain such lower pricing in India, it will be a very hard to resist car here also. So, i am eagerly awaiting it's launch which is supposed to be in March/April 2018 after which i will take a call between Pajero Sport or Endeavour 3.2 ( 2nd preference) as my next car.
46TheDoctor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 10:54   #20
BHPian

I had registered on Mitsubishi Site for more info on the new Outlander.

Got a call from Mitsubishi Chennai, saying that the Outlander launch will take place in Jan 2018.
The price and car specifications will be declared at the launch.

They plan to launch it as a CBU - imported from Japan, and expected pricing is ~ 31 lac ex. showroom.
Deliveries to start by March 2018.
Jyodi Backster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 16:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
This may be the car that I have been looking for, Japanese reliability like Toyota but coupled with the solid build and character of a Mitsubishi coupled with driver focused dynamics, judging by the previous generation.
Problem is the pricing. I am sure that it would be in the ballpark of the Endeavor, and at that price I´d rather get the Ford or even the Pajero.
Also, don´t know if it is just me but it lacks the wow factor and the effect of the old one when it came out. A Evo nosed one can still stand its own in styling but I have seen this car a few times in Europe and the styling is rather dull.
Have to say this again - yes, service network and parts availability are major issues BUT couldn't agree more about the "reliability+build+character/soul" combination in a vehicle. Whatever your state of mind, getting behind the wheel always puts a chimpanzee grin on your face!
Prozac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 19:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am perplexed by the fact that Mitsubishi Motors expects people to buy a 35+ lac SUV and then go to service centers which are worse than most FNGs in terms of infrastructure, at least here in Bangalore

On a side note, the Outlander is a soft-roader at best, given the GC, approach angle, et al.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 06:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^ You are absolutely right in terms of Service centers. Unless they give After sale service through Renault-Nissan network, any of their launch is not worth of a consideration.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 14:13   #24
BHPian

Mitsubishi India has missed the bus despite having some of the most sought after products. I, for one, would not like to put at stake that much of money, for a product, that's virtually unsupported as soon as it rolls out of the showroom. There are many other products in the market that make more sense to me. My views- without offence to anyone.
Old 30th April 2018, 02:09   #25
BHPian

Managed to get an early copy of Autocar and they have done an exclusive first drive of the Mitsubishi Outlander in Maharashtra. This is going to be Mitsubishi's first all new launch in 6 years barring Montero which doesn't count.

Observations from the review:

* The new Outlander is being introduced as a rival to the Honda CR-V. This generation of the Outlander was launched globally in 2012 and got a facelift in 2015, we are getting a product that is 3 years into its lifecycle. Estimated price is 30lakhs ex-showroom.

* Gets Auto LED headlamps, Auto wipers, keyless entry and go, Sunroof, heated front seats (not sure if it can be cooled too), rear view camera, powered driver's seat and DRLs.

* 6.1 inch touchscreen system with a 6.1 channel Rockford Fosgate system sounds good, but feels like an aftermarket product. Does not have Android Auto, Apple Carplay or even Navigation.

* The Outlander clearly still has the Mitsubishi DNA in the ride and handling department. The all round independent suspension does a good job in maintaining a flat ride and safe handling.

* You get the same old 2.4 MiVEC engine the old outlander came with and paired to a steptronic CVT. There are steering mounted paddles. The power and torque figures are the same, 167hp and 222Nm. No diesel here.

* This adaptive AWD are front wheel driven under normal conditions and power is sent to the rear wheels when it detects traction loss. In auto mode the car feels very capable in normal soft roader territory off the road. But it can handle a tad bit more with the All wheel lock on.

* Car comes equipped with 215/70 R16 tyres, that look puny in the wheel wells but are amazing in providing a smooth ride as described by the reviewer.

* Coming to the interior, the new Outlander gets an all black interior with a little piano black here and chrome lining there. The interior feels well built but aged and not very luxurious as observed by the reviewer.

* This generation also gets 7 seats as opposed to 5 in the previous generation. As usual the front row feels very comfortable, the middle row slides back and forth with a good range although headroom for tall passengers was found to be dear. The rear row is best suited for kids.

* Biggest omission in the Outlander has to be the lack of rear AC vents. The reviewer found the AC underperforming in the 45°C weather and mentioned the rear passengers would definitely feel a bit uncomfortable.

* On the safety front the new Outlander gets 7 airbags, ABS, EBD, Traction control, stability control, hill start assist and Isofix seat mounts.

* They have managed to shave off a whopping 13kgs compared to the previous generation.

Technical data

L/W/H: 4695/1810/1710mm

Wheelbase: 2670mm (70mm lesser than Ertiga's, I know not the same segment but should be cramped for 7 in the Outlander)

Ground Clearance: 190mm

Fuel Tank capacity: 60 liters

Engine : 2.4 MiVEC, Naturally aspirated, transverse mounted, 2360cc, 167hp @ 6000rpm and 222Nm @ 4100rpm.

Construction: 5- door Monocoque

Suspension: Front - Independent MacPherson strut, coil spring. Rear - Independent, Multi link, coil spring.

Kerb weight: 1602kg

Turning circle (dia): 10.6m

0-100kmph: 10.63 secs

In gear acceleration

20-80kmph
- 6.13secs
40-100kmph - 7.78secs

After reading the Autocar review, it does not feel like this car would even generate much interest. Let's not even bother with things like sparse dealer network and expensive ASS. Major downer for me is the lack of rear AC vents and the old NA engine. Looks like most takers would be only the Mitsubishi fans.

Last edited by Shanksta : 30th April 2018 at 02:14. Reason: Adding information
Shanksta is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 06:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good review there. As you said, this won't generate any interest at all. They do have a hot product which could definitely draw interest, the Eclipse Cross. But as we know how Mitsubishi India thinks, they might 'launch' that in India probably in 2025. Sad.
Old 30th April 2018, 12:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Outlander Brochure and TVC.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf NEW-OUTLANDER-BROCHURE-4-page-VER-3.pdf (466.7 KB, 280 views)
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 14:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This one is going to sink faster than the Titanic.
Couldn't agree more with GTO's quote after watching Autocar's first ride review.
Observations:

1. No macho appeal desirable in SUV
2. Outdated interiors with multiple dummy switches.
3. No Apple car play, Android Auto or navigation. 6.1 inch aftermarket looking touchscreen unit.
4. 5+2 seater with limited headroom in second row.
5. CVT gearbox which is prone to rubber band effect with paddle shifters.
6. 163 bhp petrol engine is adequate, not exciting.
7. Good ride quality and 4wd.
8. No LED lights.
9. Petrol only and expected price 30 lakhs plus.

I don't know what was Mitsubishi thinking? Wafer thin dealer network, outdated interiors and a petrol suv in a market where diesel is the norm.
Half hearted attempt to get some numbers on the basis of Pajero brand.

PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 18:43   #29
BHPian

Just had a word with the Mitsubishi dealer at Jaipur, The 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander has started reaching the dealerships with the test drive vehicles to arrive the showroom by next week. The bookings are on and deliveries to start from mid June. The prices to start from ~₹32 Lakh ex-showroom.
Picture Credit: CityShor
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-d10d8be268f642a5b7970e21b6ab0b27.jpeg  

Mitsubishi India lists new Outlander on its website-7455bcd8708940e79c1a499e18d3bea7.jpeg  

Last edited by Fulcrum : 12th May 2018 at 18:51.
Fulcrum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 16:36   #30
Team-BHP Support

Frankly, the previous Outlander had much cleaner lines. This one offers nothing more than its predecessor.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks