Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: For me, it's:
Driving pleasure over absolute reliability 353 49.16%
Absolute reliability over driving pleasure 365 50.84%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 22:41   #166
BHPian

Re: Driving Pleasure vs Reliability - If you had to choose?

Wow what a question?

My heart says "Driving Pleasure". But when you think practically then it goes for reliability.

The main reasons for that are
1. Usually my driving time is between 10:00pm to 8:00am (with family)
2. Always drive without any concrete plans
3. Most of the time the travel plans are too hectic

If I had provision for multiple vehicles then the answer would have been pleasure as the garage would have a reliable vehicle for family/important runs and another for pleasure.

That's why I chose
Swift
Honda City over Vento

I know persons who changed cars just because of reliability and spares issue
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 22:44   #167
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Well this looks quite contradictory to me. I mean the poll loses its sheen if we don't do what we think. Its like I like a car 'X' but I buy a car 'Y' because its more reliable.
Not always. Ex: suppose I like Ecosport to the core but went ahead with buying Polo because of budget issues. In the coty poll, which one should be my choice?

Example2: Suppose I own a 2012 Swift. In coty 2017 poll, should I always select a Maruti?
Old 27th September 2017, 23:26   #168
BHPian

For me, it goes around in circles. My first car was a powerful unreliable car.

I replaced that with a slow reliable car, and now I'm back at it again with an unreliable fast car.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 23:34   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Two important things that influence my choice:

1. Economical background: For guys from middle class families, driving pleasure is overrated. I drive a GT 1.6 often, and shuffle between my Safari, Ciaz, Kwid and Celerio. I dont find the GT dynamically THAT superior as being praised everywhere.

2. Distance: I drive 130-150 km a day, every day. Driving has become more of a chore rather than something of pleasure. I better be in a reliable car that does its duty all day than in a great handling unreliable car.

If I had 25 lakhs for a new car, myheart would urge me to go for the lovely Octavia while my mind would tell me to buy the Altis. Eventually I will end up with the altis. "Mere 85 BHP", "slow car" tags do not matter. It will outlast me, and that reliability is what I would want.

It is my personal opinion though!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th September 2017 at 23:42.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 00:32   #170
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma while purchasing a compact sedan back in 2015. I had to choose between the reliable dzire / amaze or the not so reliable,expensive to maintain (as is the perception in the market) but really pleasurable to drive the Ford aspire.

I chose the the Zest. Although the brand image of Tata is for making cars that are notoriously unreliable but I think Tata is making incredible efforts in making their cars reliable. Also, it's gives much better driving pleasure than the Japs as well as seems to be easier to maintain than the Ford. Also, Zest feels a lot safer.

In the compact SUV segment, I think Nexon will be better as compared to Brezza and Ecosport as there will be a good balance of driving pleasure and relaibility/cost of maintenance.

Last edited by parth.jain : 28th September 2017 at 00:34.
parth.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 00:53   #171
NH7
BHPian

I thought I should analyse the number of strandings on all my vehicles to form my opinion on this one. Ford Ikon 1.6zxi- One.Hyundai Santro AT- One. BMW e46- One. Of course reasons were different, but severity was low/ medium in all cases, based on my knowledge AT THAT POINT IN TIME, and exposure was comparable. Which brings me to an interesting thought. No comparo with failure rates, so let me compare how I felt each time. When the Santro played up, no sweat, I expected the fix would be available with minimum fuss. Phonecall + coffee+ wait.When the Ford refused to fire up, I was anxious, but expected roadside mechanics to come up with some jugaad in good time. Warning triangle out+ half a pack+ pacing about. When the bimmer was no go- Panic set in. Expected and looked out for a 200km tow! Emergency money out+ throat dry+ worst case scenarios+ frantic waving down of trailer trucks. I love the e46 to bits, it brings a smile on my face every time, but the Santro brings me home.
Old 28th September 2017, 00:56   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

I chose Reliability in the vote.

To own, I wouldn't touch an exciting car if it is not reliable. To rent or borrow, pleasure is all fine.

I am cautious by nature. In India, I seldom have driven over 80 Kmph on our highways and I tend to double-check all the locks on the doors at home before going to sleep. Buying a reliable car is the only thought that can be accommodated in my mind. Choosing pleasure over reliability is sacrilege IMO. But that's just me!
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 07:32   #173
BANNED

Why did you have to go there? It always hurts to think of cars this way. Why can't we have both? Why can't we have Mazdas?

I'd pick a cockroach and rent a fun-to-drive car once in a while.

I'll buy a Miata some day. That'd be a great blend of reliability and usable fun.
Old 28th September 2017, 09:56   #174
Senior - BHPian

Driving pleasure. I can never see myself go the Honda, Toyota way unless it is something like a GT86 or a Type R but this is another level all together.

I have owned 4 cars so far and every one of them leans on Driving Pleasure. The first car (Ford Ikon 1.6) that I did own was so horribly unreliable (due to age) and hurt my wallet. It got to the point my wife had to intervene which is all good. I sold it and bought a new car from a brand that very few even consider anywhere in the world (Fiat). There were no second thoughts. It had to be driving pleasure. Everything else comes second. This new car served me well for 5+ years. I might just buy the same car again even though it is outdated and because there is nothing else in the segment that drives anywhere as good.

My 72' Fiat 1100D. Ask anyone who has driven the Ambassador and Fiat, when it comes to driving pleasure, the Fiat's on another level altogether. Probably why it did better on the Indian rally scene too.

My current car is Japanese. A Subaru. Before I went to buy one, I looked at all my options. There was Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Nissan and their Infiniti's, ze Germans, the Italians and an Australian brand too. The heart said Alfa and the mind said lets not jump in just yet. Next up was Holden and ze Germans which was out of budget. I had no choice but go the Japanese way but you know what, I could not see myself drive an Accord or a Camry. FM Tharian suggested Subaru. I know Subaru only because of their rally heritage. Sadly; they are nowhere in the scene anymore. Their cars are iconic for the boxer engines and all wheel drive arrangement. All it took was one drive and that was it.

I will buy that Alfa one day. Could not care less about the liability bit.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 28th September 2017 at 10:00.
Old 28th September 2017, 10:01   #175
BHPian

Nice thread. We have two cars in the family, one of daily commute and the other for long family trips.

Driving Pleasure - if its daily commute
Reliability - if its family car, 10 year car, less mileage car.
Old 28th September 2017, 10:31   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I think there should have been a 3rd option.

For example Honda gives you a balance between both driving pleasure and reliability.

Toyota gives you reliability but absolutely boring cars.

VW/Skoda & Other German premium cars give you great driving pleasure but with the sword of unreliability hanging over your head which may never drop on your head or maybe just scrape your scalp, but the possibility of major damage is always there.

Personally my experience with my BMW X3 has been extremely positive. In 2 Years and 20K kilometers, it has been an absolute pleasure.
Old 28th September 2017, 10:41   #177
BHPian

I had a VW vento tdi for last 5 years. After about 3.5 yrs i had to change almost all parts due to failures and moreso the reliability of the car went down despite keeping it in top condition.
By the way i am a sedate driver.
Now I have got a honda city i-vtec. Wife suggested that i sell my vento and purchase a Japanese.
But my 2 cents; it depends on your needs and requirements. So each to their own. Both have pros and cons of their own.
It was always a pleasure to drive a german, never ever felt out of power.
Old 28th September 2017, 11:25   #178
BHPian

Voted for Driving pleasure. I own Skoda fabia and Skoda Rapid(Bought recently). My 5 years old fabia never failed me for 1,35,000 kms that I have driven till date.

According to me, reliability is a hit or miss for all cars. It could be so that a car from a ultra reliable brand fails on you.

On the contrary, being stuck with a daily drive car which is boring to drive is much bigger a problem.
Old 28th September 2017, 11:43   #179
BHPian

I think it also depends on your age. Right now for me, driving pleasure matters the most (I'm 24 btw). Whereas for my dad, who is as crazy as me about cars, it's more of reliability. He still prefers the good old Innova in comparison to the mighty 190bhp X1.
Apart from that, I still prefer taking my petrol i10 on the highways in comparison to the diesel Innova (it's just too boring to drive).
Old 28th September 2017, 11:58   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought a Skoda Octavia vRS without a test drive. Made the advance payment before the car was launched and took delivery on the day of launch.

I think my vote is pretty evident!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks