Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 08:34   #46
BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian custome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

To take another example - Its like Apple deciding that iPhone X is too costly for India, so they decide to make the iPhone 7 look like the X. But then, they price it as a premium product and advertise it as an iPhone X itself, showing the glowing reviews it has got internationally.

Hope the point is clearer now.
Absolutely, crystal clear with such solid examples and explanation.

Just waiting to see the internet explode with this news and forcing Renault to respond and take down the product and or correct the misleading ad/ product.
novicefreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:17   #47
BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian custome

Eagerly looking forward to Renault's reaction to this and if they will continue their ads.

But EOD any buyer will consider all options in the market from the competition and choose one that offers biggest bang for the buck before buying a car. However, misleading a buyer with false data is incorrect and Renault must be penalized heavily for it.
bharatbits is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:18   #48
BHPian

Re: Renault teases Captur SUV; Now unveiled in India

Renault proved itself to be a highly unethical company. I haven't seen such a magnitude of dishonesty from any other manufacturer in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Lets not glorify Maruti. S-cross and Brezza are overpriced hatchbacks. I dont think they have even tested by gncap. Will pick up Duster/Captur/Terrano over these any day.
Sorry, S-Cross and Brezza are much better cars than the Duster. Except the size of the car, there is little going for the Duster.

And mind you, the S-Cross is really a premium car. Duster is a Dacia, and Renault would never dare sell it as a Renault in the European market.
civic-sense is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:29   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
Renault India has a Facebook page(https://www.facebook.com/RenaultIndia/) and it may be worthwhile to post the question of whether the European Kaptur and the Indian Captur are based on the same platform. Renault seems to be actively responding on this page and it'll be interesting to see what they have to say on this matter where they are grossly misleading prospective buyers.
Many thanks to Crazy Driver for this very informative article. I have posted a query on the Renault FB page, questioning whether the European Kaptur and the Indian Captur are based on the same platform, awaiting their reply , if they do give one.
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:35   #50
Team-BHP Support

Great catch C_D.

Considering our regulatory bodies are either not set up or inefficient or incapable, the onus is entirely up to us to be aware of what is being presented to us.

Kudos to you for spotting this and exposing it, and to Team-BHP and the members for standing up to such blatant cheating.

You'd imagine that such large MNCs with lofty ethics and morals' charters would play by the rule book but there have been umpteen examples where they have been party to tremendous scandals.

I sincerely hope in every instance of cheating, the offending company is brought to its knees.

The other more important thing is, I hope consumers themselves become very stringent and look for substance rather than just looks, feel-good features and FE.

Dropped a complaint on the link GTO posted as well.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:36   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Suhaas and other members,

Protection against false and misleading advertisement is provided under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986. Request you all to have a look at Section 2(1)(r) of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Fortunately, legal mandates in advertising offer gazillion loopholes for manufacturers and advertising agencies to exploit whilst meeting basic guidelines set in the fine print. This ad resembles promotion of products like Carlsberg glasses and Kingfisher soda.
This is exactly why I exclaimed that the Consumer Protection Act is not exhaustive enough, and one will be forced to file under the Section 2(1)(r) for unfair trade practices as it provides limited recourse for false and misleading advertisements.

The law needs to be amended urgently in order to widen its scope and bring under its ambit, false advertising as well as the much needed lemon law.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

We talked about the VW dieselgate ! Where can this be qualified?

Cheating personified !
Old 4th October 2017, 10:04   #53
BHPian

Unbelievable. I wonder how did the top brass approve such marketing strategy.

Interestingly our mainstream media is yet to report this. Not sure no one noticed this or just ignoring.
Old 4th October 2017, 10:05   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
Nobody cares which platform the car is built on except the enthusiasts. PQ35 or MQB?,you think the average Joe cares? Building a car on a older platform as long as its reasonably competent and cheap is nothing wrong.
There is no ethical issue with using a new body on an older platform. But then harping about the credentials of the new car (on the new platform) for the car with the older platform is fraud. This is outright misleading customers because the Indian Captur is nothing like the European model.

It's like these guys trying to pass themselves off as Amitabh, Dev Anand & Govinda:
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 10:11   #55
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to clarify something so that I can understand the issue better and can explain to other people too who do not have access to this forum.

Car (a) So there is one car called Renault Kaptur which is sold in European markets. This car has solid safety ratings and is costly. This is based on Clio platform?

Car (b) This car is made by the same company Renault, looks like European Kaptur but is based on Duster? This does not have solid safety ratings (like the Clio based Kaptur) and is cheaper. This car is named as Captur and is sold in emerging countries like Russia, India?

So the issue is that Renault is selling car (b) in India but is showing the achievements of car (a) in the advertisements of car (b). If that is the case, then this is a serious case of misleading people.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct. I wanted to clear the confusion myself so that I can explain it to others too.
Saanil is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 10:13   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Here is difference between the 2 cars.
Attachment 1682062

And This is how the engines differ.
We get the same old engines.
Attachment 1682063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
So the issue is that Renault is selling car (b) in India but is showing the achievements of car (a) in the advertisements of car (b). If that is the case, then this is a serious case of misleading people.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct. I wanted to clear the confusion myself so that I can explain it to others too.
Correct.

See post above, and the opening post.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 10:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To take another example - Its like Apple deciding that iPhone X is too costly for India, so they decide to make the iPhone 7 look like the X. But then, they price it as a premium product and advertise it as an iPhone X itself, showing the glowing reviews it has got internationally.
not defending renault here, but this scenario is actually more common than we think. I once bought a Galaxy S4, while a friend was gifted one from her dad in the US, and we found out that our phones were totally different. It seems samsung sold a variety of phones with different configurations as the galaxy S4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsun...Model_variants

at least they had the decency to put the model no while advertising
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 10:23   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to clarify something so that I can understand the issue better and can explain to other people too who do not have access to this forum.

Car (a) So there is one car called Renault Kaptur which is sold in European markets. This car has solid safety ratings and is costly. This is based on Clio platform?

Car (b) This car is made by the same company Renault, looks like European Kaptur but is based on Duster? This does not have solid safety ratings (like the Clio based Kaptur) and is cheaper. This car is named as Captur and is sold in emerging countries like Russia, India?

I believe this is the Captur coming to India and the safety rating seems to be pretty good for this. Correct me if i am wrong.

https://www.latinncap.com/en/result/...ur-+-4-airbags
Old 4th October 2017, 10:25   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why did Renault rebrand the Duster-based Kaptur to Captur to mimic their Clio-based European car?
=================
To take an example - It's like Apple deciding that the iPhone X is too costly for India, so they decide to make the iPhone 7 look like the X. But then, they price it as a premium product and advertise it as an iPhone X itself, showing the glowing reviews it has got internationally.
This is total misrepresentation, i remember how i felt when Triumph sold the de-tuned Brazil spec in India, while claiming it as UK/US spec. This is even worse since the model does not have any of the claimed accolades

To add to the above analogy, its not even iPhone 7 they are selling it is more like iPhone 6 in X form!!

But seriously why would reputed company get into such cheap tactics? If they are going to launch it as premium SUV atleast make it the part, bring an Auto with 4x4 option and make it a game changer, instead of this!
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 10:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Car (a) is Renault Captur based on Clio, sold in Europe. Car (b) is Kaptur sold in Russia based on Duster. Renault has taken a shortcut of selling Car (b) Russian Kaptur here but naming it Car (a) European Captur, hence trying to take Indian customers for a ride.

Maybe we should have smelled this cooking when Renault started talking about Captur here instead of Kaptur which everyone was expecting. This is really stooping down to very low levels.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed