Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2017, 11:09   #16
BHPian

Re: 2017 Volvo XC60 launched at Rs. 55.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have not tried XC90 but in XC60 it's like electric motor response, just ensure it is in Dynamic mode.
Even in dynamic mode the lag is there but controlled, me and a friend have Vbox tested the car 2 weeks back. The timing is same in all modes, XC90 does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and 0-100 in 9.2 seconds.
mjumrani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 12:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

How on earth did they manage to extract such an enormous amount of power and torque from a 2 Liter?
Yes, I understand it has two turbos for good measure and compressed air to drive those turbos when they are off boost. But still!
Finally, can someone explain, from where this 'compressed' gas comes from? Wont additional energy be consumed to create and store this compressed gas?
Old 13th December 2017, 12:12   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Finally, can someone explain, from where this 'compressed' gas comes from? Wont additional energy be consumed to create and store this compressed gas?
There is an on-board compressor and air receiver.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 13:42   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
It doesn't eliminate completely. It just reduces , you can definitely feel the lag when you put your foot down. The canister is super small to push in the amount of air they claim.
In reality the canister is as big as a 500ml water bottle or less.

My friend already got a fat discount on his booking.
Thanks for a candid opinion in spite of being an owner. All new vehicle launches get such a praise in the press these days that I have trained my mind to apply an instant 20% discount on the superlatives used in the reviews

BTW, talking of discounts, is there any discount on the S60 Polestar? Almost everyday I open the reviews of Polestar and then close the browser with a sigh...one day I will get a 360 BHP sedan, one day
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 15:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

BTW, talking of discounts, is there any discount on the S60 Polestar? Almost everyday I open the reviews of Polestar and then close the browser with a sigh...one day I will get a 360 BHP sedan, one day
There are 2 cars with Bangalore delear and yes it possible to get discount. I got decent discount for my polestar, paid 48L ex showroom.
mjumrani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 16:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Isnt it like using supercharger at low boost conditions ? Not sure how much they are saving by going this route. They could as well use braking energy to keep the air compressed ! How fast does this get filled again with the right compression if you have to use it repeatedly ?
Old 13th December 2017, 17:15   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Isnt it like using supercharger at low boost conditions ? Not sure how much they are saving by going this route. They could as well use braking energy to keep the air compressed ! How fast does this get filled again with the right compression if you have to use it repeatedly ?
The air is compressed using an electric motor. The reservoir is topped up constantly. I dont think one will accelerates persistently for this to be inadequate. Only way to tell would be to take thie car to a track.

You could ask the similar question about brake servo. These never give up - brake fade happens first!

Last edited by ajmat : 13th December 2017 at 17:17.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 17:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
It is nowhere close to how a supercharger works. Powerpulse is an electric motor which is connected to air intake manifold which compresses the air and fills the canister. The powerpulse comes into use only at low rpms. When you put your foot down hard, it sends the compressed cold air into the small turbo for it to spool faster( Volvo's have 2 turbo's in sequential). The canister is filled when the engine is above certain RPM. The fun is not the engine but the gearbox. It's the smoothest I have ever driven, one wouldn't even feel the gear changes even when pushing the car around. I love this over the one in polestar.

Last edited by mjumrani : 13th December 2017 at 18:02. Reason: More information
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 18:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

As mjumrani mentioned, powerpulse is just an air cannister that forcibly moves a set of sequential turbos. It only works at low'ish RPMs and the effect is rather limited in practice.

There's an engineering explained video about how this works:

Last edited by reignofchaos : 13th December 2017 at 18:26.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 15:57   #25
BHPian

Fantastic pricing ! I'm loving this trajectory that volvo india is on. Great engines, great value, impeccable fit and finish, really a no-compromise vehicle. Sales could definitely be a little smoother, its too early for me to comment on service. I suspect with scale those issues will be resolved. TBH, I'm more excited about the XC40.
Old 14th December 2017, 16:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Unlike many other car companies in India Volvo seems to have the perfect mindset and ideology for consumers. But as it seems they have the right mindset for the wrong market. As reihem mentioned they have great engines, great value, impeccable quality and no- compromise vehicles. It is almost next to impossible to see all these adjectives being used in the same sentence for one particular car brand.

But Volvo is making that possible. However, Indian mentality is so brand conscious they can only relate Volvo to buses and consequently will tend to overlook the value and material offered by Volvo.
If I was in the market with 60 big ones, I would have definitely looked at this bad boy.
P.S: I love those headrests.
Old 14th December 2017, 16:13   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The fun is not the engine but the gearbox. It's the smoothest I have ever driven, one wouldn't even feel the gear changes even when pushing the car around. I love this over the one in polestar.
hmmm it is a good gearbox, but definitely not the smoothest i have driven (maybe little unfair comparison from my side since the box is from a much more expensive car). BUT.... the engine and the box works supremely well together, to give a great user experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Fantastic pricing ! I'm loving this trajectory that volvo india is on. Great engines, great value, impeccable fit and finish, really a no-compromise vehicle.
+1 i have seen them, sat in them (never drove) and have had friends reviewing them and coming back impressed to an extend. This was first time for me with the particular brand, and i usually come back from reviews with a pretty decent list of things that could have been better, with this i had some trouble listing them (apart from some obvious stuff), when someone called and checked about the negative scores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks for a candid opinion in spite of being an owner. All new vehicle launches get such a praise in the press these days that I have trained my mind to apply an instant 20% discount on the superlatives used in the reviews
Well to be honest the feedback is of a heavier car with a totally different power to weight ration. So i would still go for a test drive before creating an impression for myself.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 13:59   #28
BHPian

Guys, I am in the market for an SUV/Crossover in this range and the Volvo XC60 was one of the cars that I had on my list of cars to check out. While I am delighted by the price Volvo are offering the car at, especially given the tech and features on board, I would like to wait for the BMW X3, which is due around May/June next year before I make my decision (Audi Q5 and the JLR cars in this range in not in my list as I don't think they can match the XC60 or the X3). I know the BMW will not offer many of the safety features that the XC60 has and will probably also miss out of features like the ventilated seats with massage function, air suspension with height adjustment etc., but then a BMW is still a BMW. Having said that, am not someone too bothered by the snob value that a German badge offers and would rather go for the better car. Should I wait for the BMW X3 or just go for the XC60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Beautiful car! These new age Volvos are so beautiful inside out. Ventilated massaging seats, air suspension, 360 degree cameras are all superb features to get at 56 Lakhs Ex - Showroom. Those in the market should rush and grab the launch version ASAP.
Why do you say that? Is there something special about the launch version apart from it being a CBU?
Old 15th December 2017, 14:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Why do you say that? Is there something special about the launch version apart from it being a CBU?
Its common for manufacturers to offer CBU launch editions with extra features which don't make it to the assembled in India versions that follow later. Mercedes has been doing it with many of their models. The Volvo XC 60 is going to be assembled in India in future. For sure lower variants will come in. WHo knows Volvo may retain the feature list for the assembled cars as well. But the very fact that they are calling this the "Launch Version" is a clue that some features may not make it to the non launch version cars.

Regarding the new X3, I think that is going to be a smashing car as well. If I were you, I'd wait for it to launch and then take a call.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 15:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Its common for manufacturers to offer CBU launch editions with extra features which don't make it to the assembled in India versions that follow later. Mercedes has been doing it with many of their models. The Volvo XC 60 is going to be assembled in India in future. For sure lower variants will come in. WHo knows Volvo may retain the feature list for the assembled cars as well. But the very fact that they are calling this the "Launch Version" is a clue that some features may not make it to the non launch version cars.

Regarding the new X3, I think that is going to be a smashing car as well. If I were you, I'd wait for it to launch and then take a call.
So I paid a visit to the Volvo showroom and checked out the XC60. First impressions, it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Have seen a few XC60 on the road but never realized how big the car really is. Coming to the car, it's absolutely gorgeous to look at, much better than the XC90, in fact, it might be the second best looking Volvo car, after the V40. The car on display was in Pine Grey with the Blond interiors and I think, this is the best combination available, although I would like the boot to be in black instead of Blond, which is possible. I checked out a White car with Maroon Brown interiors and a Black car with blond interiors and neither were as impressive.

The interiors are impeccable. I love the minimilistic approach that give the whole dash a relaxed, uncluttered look, unlike the previous generation that just had too many knobs and buttons for my liking. The seats are brilliant and the massage function was actually enjoyable. The HUD is nice and bright and easy to read. The rear bench is well bolstered and there is enough leg and head room for most people. I think @Jaggu is going to cover the car in detail in his review so I don't want to go on about it.

I spoke to the sales executive about the "Launch Edition" and asked him if he had any information on that. He speculated that some of the features like the 360 degree camera, the massage feature in the front seats etc. might cost extra in later editions of the Inscription trim. Did a bit of googling and remembered watching Matt Watson's review on the XC60, including the one on the car he was loaned by Volvo for a few months. The loaner was a D5 Inscription Pro with a few options. Mind you, an Inscription Pro, with options. So I decided to check out Volvo's UK website and build an XC60 that matches the Indian version in kit and features. I started with an Incription trim and added the packs and options that the Indian version comes with and the total price came to 55K pounds, roughly 47 lacs INR. The base price for the Inscription model is 39,655 pounds, or 34 lacs INR. So there is 13 lacs of options on the car being sold in India as the Inscription trim. And here is a list of options/packs that the 13 lacs gets you:
  1. Winter Pack - Heated Steering Wheel, Headlight cleaning system, Heated Aqua blades,
  2. HUD with Road Sign Information, Distance Alert, Navigation etc.
  3. Active Four-C Chassis - Four Corner Adaptive Dampers with Air suspension
  4. 360 degree camera
  5. Intellisafe Pro pack - Pilot Assist with ACC, Blind spot detection with Steer Assist, Cross Traffic Alert & Rear collision mitigation
  6. Front Park Assist
  7. 4 Zone electric climate control & cooled glove box
  8. Panoramic Sunroof with Sun curtain
  9. Smartphone integration (Apple Car Play & Android Auto)
  10. Bowers and Wilkins audio system with 15 speakers

Now, I don't know if all that is truly optional and being offered as part of the Launch Edition but even if just 50% of those features are being offered as part of the Launch Edition, to me, it makes a compelling case to book the Launch Edition.

Would love to know the thoughts of other members here as I am seriously considering booking the car.
sunny310c is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks