Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2018, 14:16   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs

A new dimension to Ground clearance!

This is how Volvo XC40 in SA shows how high in ground clearance as well at whatever angle one can open/close doors without fear of swing back.

(Being 4x2 it balanced well too.)

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-gl.jpg

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-gl1.jpg

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-gl3.jpg

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-gl4.jpg

And the stunning XC40 in dual tone,

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-x0.jpg

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-xc1-2.jpg

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-xc2-2.jpg

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-xc6.jpg

Source:Volvo twitter

Volvo's XC40 success has surpassed the group's expectations. Volvo will expand output of its XC40 in Belgium and start production of the compact SUV is China next year to meet stronger-than-expected demand.

Quote:
Volvo has received nearly 80,000 orders for the XC40, which is the first model to use the CMA. The platform, which was co-developed with sibling brand Geely Automobile, is also shared with Lynk & CO, a Chinese-backed startup that is partly owned by Volvo.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th May 2018 at 14:26.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 14:32   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

What a stunner of a car! If there's one car that really has both utility and beauty checked off in a smart package - THIS is it!

I really have to NOT want this car. Its that good.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 14:33   #33
BHPian

Such a great car. Waiting for the launch.
One thing I wish is that Volvo changes the heated seats to cooled ones. The heated ones don't make sense for India.

Also is the 'On Call app' feature be available ?

The website quotes "Volvo On Call is the app that connects your phone, tablet or wearable device with your Volvo XC40 to provide remote access and a range of useful functions. It allows you to pre-heat or pre-cool your Volvo XC40, lock or unlock it remotely, find it in a crowded car park and much more."
deepjaju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 17:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Some more details of Volvo XC40 emerge.

Powered Boot.
Attachment 1763432

It looks like a smart tail gate. not the typical 'electric' tail gate

Attached Thumbnails
The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-img_20180524_071926.jpg  

LionX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 19:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Such a great car. Waiting for the launch.
One thing I wish is that Volvo changes the heated seats to cooled ones. The heated ones don't make sense for India.

Also is the 'On Call app' feature be available ?

The website quotes "Volvo On Call is the app that connects your phone, tablet or wearable device with your Volvo XC40 to provide remote access and a range of useful functions. It allows you to pre-heat or pre-cool your Volvo XC40, lock or unlock it remotely, find it in a crowded car park and much more."
No, it's not available in India yet and highly doubtful it will ever come. Volvo on call is a paid option abroad and has plethora of issues according to swedespeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
It looks like a smart tail gate. not the typical 'electric' tail gate
It does not work the way they advertise. I have to literally dance for it to work in my XC90 .

Last edited by mjumrani : 24th May 2018 at 19:59. Reason: Fixed typo.
mjumrani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 09:20   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Two observations, One it looks too small when viewed from side, looks to be as big as Creta may be. Two, whats with orange interiors, looks ugly! After building such a beautiful car, why did they mess the interiors?
Xc40 dimensions it matches its peers.

Interiors can be chosen from either :

1. Black with Lava
2. Only Black

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-xc2.jpg

Volvo's SUV portfolio:

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-xc1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:48   #37
BHPian

Got this mail yesterday from Volvo.
Attached Thumbnails
The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-xc40-invite.jpg  

mjumrani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 14:52   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Have they given any dates for the Delhi NCR region unveiling?
Old 29th May 2018, 17:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Volvo XC40 India launch on July 4

• Bookings for the first lot of 200 cars open now.
  • Rs 5 lakh set as the booking amount.
  • Volvo expects those 200 cars to be sold out before launch.
  • More Variants & A Petrol Option Planned for Later Stage.
  • XC40 will only be brought in as a full import for now

Source
Old 29th May 2018, 18:09   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

PowerDrift's XC40 review,

volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 18:46   #41
BHPian

This is Volvo's best attempt till date in the compact luxury SUV segment. The car looks chic and is level 2 autonomous certified. I am seriously impressed with the tech. However, Volvo says less than 1000 units are allocated to India. Seriously Volvo? If local assembly starts this car will be priced lower and it is a desirable vehicle.

PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 20:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
This is Volvo's best attempt till date in the compact luxury SUV segment. The car looks chic and is level 2 autonomous certified. I am seriously impressed with the tech. However, Volvo says less than 1000 units are allocated to India. Seriously Volvo? If local assembly starts this car will be priced lower and it is a desirable vehicle.
Volvo is on a roll with this model, additional shifts have been added to service European demand, I'm surprised they allocated 1000 units to India. The first 200 R Line edition will decide what happens, India is a rounding error for Volvo, that's why they are sticking to CBU sales. Profits matter and Volvo will service the markets with the highest volumes first, down the line a D3 version might be added to boost volumes in India.
Old 4th June 2018, 13:01   #43
BHPian

First impressions of the XC40 from the preview @ Kochi. Since I have an F48 X1, comparison is obvious.

1. Styling is very youthful and majority of the crowd were impressed by it. The car feels smaller in real compared to the X1. Presence of rear quarter glass and a more matured styling makes the x1 appear much larger(it's longer than xc40). At some angles there's a raised hatchback look but I still liked it.

2. Features galore. It can simply put cars from even 2 segments above to shame. Key highlights include full digital cluster, 9 inch touch screen, Harmon kardon speakers, pilot assist, adaptive cruise control, collision mitigation, powered tail gate, wireless charging etc.. City braking in the Volvos is a big relief on Indian roads. But I'm sceptical about the efficiency of pilot assist here. Why? On Indian roads markings aren't that accurate, despite lane markings roads can constrict @ various places (examples can be found from Aluva to Edapally), systems can't detect potholes anyway, chaos on Indian roads would generate new permutations n combinations for the system to deal with, so although it's great to have it, it's dependability is to be seen. But still a great feature and should be useful on well built roads and long trips. BMW will learn many lessons from this launch. My X1 doesn't even have front parking sensors. They were super stingy when it came to features on x1. With all the screens and digital cluster interiors look very similar to the new gen volvos- simplistic with a futuristic vibe. And the 9inch touch screen offers a large variety of options which cannot be found in the bimmer. i drive's more user friendly but lacks options. Digital cluster does its job brilliantly whereas the one on the x1 feels years behind. Ambient lighting looks more wow in the BMWs compared to Volvos.

3. All black interiors and materials used felt good quality. Similar to the X1. But dig a bit low and we can find hard plastics even more than those in the bimmer. Seats with alcantara and leather is a nice touch. Front seats are supportive. Steering felt very light compared to the x1. Should be great for city use. The aluminium trim and texture didn't feel premium. Door pads on a whole looks a lot more premium on the X1 with wood finish, contrasting colours and more noticeable ambient lighting.

4. On all the reviews xc40 is said to have enough space but in my opinion it's not so. May be it's the black interior colour but I felt that the car was significantly smaller on the inside compared to x1. Infront I felt that the headroom & width was on the lower side wrt x1.
On the rear it was more prominent. There's enough headroom but seats are set low with very poor underthigh support. Add to that the seat back is very upright. Seating position and angle somehow reminded me a bit of old innovas third row. Leg room is less than that of x1 but still adequate. X1 also has more space under the front seats to stretch your legs. & I was shocked to find the aluminium trim missing on the rear doors. Evident cost cutting. Simply put Volvos objective about this car is very evident-city use. The rear seats are never going to be practical for long trips. I felt uncomfortable with the way I had to sit. Even the x1s seat base is small, but seats are setup @ such an angle and height that it actually gives adequate underthigh support(with recline and fore aft adjustment). The XC40s rear seats are a sore point. Then there's the kink on the window which blocks out the views. Door pockets on the rear door are too small.

5. Boot felt almost the same in size as the X1. It's also powered on the xc40 which is not the case with x1.

6. A-pedal is a conventional one unlike the organ pedal on X1.

7. Gear lever operation is a bit tricky.

8. Experience with Kerala Volvo was absolutely poor in two instances when my friend bought an XC90 and the S90. XC90 was about to be delivered without a temperory registration(on TC plate despite waiting for weeks) and they also gave a wrong VIN for insurance. At the delivery time we realised that the car being delivered had a VIN that was different from what they had shared with us for insurance purposes. Insurance that we had taken was now effectively for another xc90! Gave them a mouthful and postponed delivery and finally they gave us a settlement in the form of free services. The next black S90 was delivered with too many swirl marks, dirty interiors and torn centre seat at the back. Again after heated exchanges they rectified everything and car was delivered perfectly. So buyers in Kerala please be extra attentive on delivery.

Overall my opinion after the first impressions is that if the car you are looking for is mainly for city use or as a secondary car in the family- look no further than the XC40. But as a primary car I would still go with the X1 for its practicality, space and rear seat comfort. X1 lacks features compared to xc40, RFTs are terrible and there's a throttle lag(found on both 320d and x1s, a thread that I will be putting up in a week). But throw away the RFTs and the X1s a more complete, spacious and practical vehicle for family use. XC40 on the other hand is a smaller, futuristic and tech filled city SUV. Before the preview I had an impression that it will be game over for all other C-SUVs once Xc40 gets launched. But after seeing it in person my views have changed.

Prices in my calculation should be between 44-45L ex showroom for the Xc40 which will be 2-3 lakh more than the X1 M sport. As I said for city use or as a secondary car it still will be money well spent. If this is the primary vehicle, after spending around 52L OTR that back seat and overall feeling of a smaller car will be hard to digest.

That's all I could gather from the limited time I got to spend with the car. Again these are my first impressions and perceptions may change when I get to see it in proper daylight instead of various LED spotlights blinding me from all directions.

Overall a superb attempt from Volvo that will shake up the segment!
Attached Thumbnails
The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-img_20180601_205446474_hdr01.jpeg  

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-img_20180601_21100128401.jpeg  

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-img_20180601_22141892501.jpeg  

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-img_20180601_221452279_top01.jpeg  

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-img_20180601_22160686001.jpeg  

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-img_20180601_221610266_top01.jpeg  

The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs-img_20180601_22185335801.jpeg  

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 4th June 2018 at 13:24.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 14:13   #44
BHPian

Got a call from the Volvo dealership and they are hosting a closed preview for the XC40 on the 23rd just like the one in the above post.
Asked him for the price and apparently the guy says the car will be priced aggressively around 38L Ex-showroom and will be near about 45L on road in Jaipur. If that would be the case then Volvo would have nailed the pricing bit as well and got themselves a clear winner in that segment.
Old 2nd July 2018, 16:46   #45
BHPian

Any reports whether the first lot of 200 cars assigned to India, has been already booked or not?

There ought to be more excitement on this thread given that the launch is in 2 days !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks