Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2018, 18:19   #91
BHPian

Re: The Volvo XC40 SUV, now launched at 39.9 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Did you take your hands off the steering wheel? If you take your hands off the wheel, the car gives you a warning initially and asks you to place your hand on the wheel (shows on the MID along with an audible warning). If there is no input from the driver, the system automatically disengages forcing the driver to take control of the steering.
I was holding the wheel gently with my fingers.
Old 13th August 2018, 18:27   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4$pd View Post
I was holding the wheel gently with my fingers.
Maybe the car did not notice that. It does ask for you to provide a small steering input before disconnecting. I think that is its way of confirming that the driver is holding the wheel.
Old 13th August 2018, 21:43   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Drove the XC40 over the weekend. I must say, Volvo's designs are just W-O-W. The car grabs attention wherever you go. And that's just the exterior. I found the cabin styling to be even more impressive.

Solid build. Sweet cabin. Engine + gearbox tuning is okay (not as good as BMW & ZF or Audi & DSG). Features are top class. Rear seat a level too low and seatback (front seats) is rock hard. Suspension is typical Euro stuff. Lots of small innovative ideas in the car. Controls aren't intuitive (anyone who has owned a German car will have to relearn some things).
Nice. How would rate the quality of interiors compared to its rivals? BMW X1, Merc GLA, and Audi Q3 (a bit long in the tooth already but nevertheless).
Old 28th August 2018, 09:24   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Consumer Reports review the2019 Volvo XC40 - Has some glaring faults!

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 09:56   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Consumer Reports review the2019 Volvo XC40 - Has some glaring faults!
I think it's more like 'quirks' than faults.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 14:45   #96
BHPian

Had a short drive in the XC40 over the weekend. My observations :
1. looks good - though this is very subjective! Proportions are pleasing and had a high stance. The lights and overall aesthetics look good.
2. The seats are definitely on the firmer side - both the front and back. Most online reviews say that they are comfortable - and they were for the short drive. However, how a passenger in the back seat will feel after a couple of hours being seated in that seat is uncertain. It surely does not have the cushioned comfort of a conventional sedan (my current ride is a Octavia 1.8TSi). This to me is the biggest concern. Ingress into the rear seat is not the most elegant. Infact, there is some sort of small storage tray at the edges of the seat. This results in the actual seat bench being pushed even more into the vehicle and away from the door. Leg space in the rear is fine - largely because of the very upright position of the seating.
3. Driving the vehicle was a breeze. I found the acceleration and general on road behaviour to be more than adequate for my use. No "kick back into the seat type of acceleration" (as compared to a X1 perhaps), but more than satisfactory. Ground clearance was good and the car easily crossed over some 'moonscapesque' roads around my house.
4. NVH is good. The diesel engine noise is heard in the cabin. However, this is not intrusive and is easily pushed to the background once the excellent music system comes on.
5. The driving aids worked well - but needs getting used to. If you cross lanes without putting on the indicator, the car fights to get you back in lane. So, as is perhaps the sensible thing to do anyways- any lane change will require getting the corresponding indicator on.
5. Storage and boot is excellent - a flat, square loading bay. Dropping the rear seats makes it a large and flat boot.

So on the whole, except for the questionable seating, an excellent car.

However, the R-Design variant is no longer available. The sales associate to ld me that they have an instruction from Volvo india not to take booking for the R-Design variant and none are expected for another 6-8 months. All volvo XC40 are CBU imports - the one i test drove was Belgium made.

Maintenance:
1. 2 year unlimited warranty comes as standard, can be extended to 2 more years.
2. Service intervals are supposedly 10K km. Was told that service costs will be about 12-15K each time.
3. Again was told that spares are not a problem. There is a central store for spare created in Pune and most spares will be available at short notice.
4. There is a maintenance plan- however, is not cost effective if milage is low.

So, there we are....decisions decisions....

Mod Note: Our Volvo XC40 Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 18th October 2018 at 11:33.
docsr is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks