Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2018, 21:55   #61
BHPian

Re: December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

As usual Maruti showing it's dominance with 50% share and with the launch of the new Swift, it's share only going north of 51-52%. The new Swift will be the most awaited launch of 2018 and it'll be interesting to see whether it benefits from strong sales numbers of its sister Dzire or will have to make a strong foundation of its own.

Note from Support: Post fixed. Typos.
Old 12th January 2018, 22:37   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post

To me the update Verna is a big time bummer. It has all bells and whistles (including few first in class features), improved looks, improved suspension set up and backed with robust after sales support of Hyundai. Somehow the product does not seem to go down well with the Indian buyers. With never ending struggle to crack the tricky C2 sedan segment, Hyundai (after having the block buster Fluidic Verna) seems to have landed in the same spot as was Maruti a few years ago before Ciaz. Seems like a typical example of a meritorious student failing in exams after passing the previous year with flying colors. Maruti needs to be watchful of this aspect while bringing new updates / facelifts / makeover to its popular cars.
I can assume the reason it's not doing well compared to City or even Ciaz. I had a chance to sit in the rear of the new Verna of my friend recently for a short drive. I'm a 6'1" broad shouldered person and I couldn't wait to reach the destination to get out of the car. I actually believe even Xcent has better rear seats and legroom from my Uber/Ola experience. I have been in City and Ciaz cabins and the difference is day and light.

This segment is mostly aspirational and chauffeur driven and no amount of bells and whistles are going to negate the poor rear seat experience in my opinion. All a prospective buyer has to do to reject Verna is to try the rear seats in City/Ciaz and Verna back to back.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 05:07   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I feel the same thing about Honda city. Terrible ride over broken surfaces and "tin can" car.
There's a difference. Out of both tin cans, you'll need atleast a hammer and a lot of manual effort to crush the City. You can use your bare hands to crush the Baleno in one go
govindremesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 08:43   #64
BHPian

The "who leads the pack" game is oh so boring to me till 2020. It's the post 2020 era that excites me with heavier cars ( due to crash norms), more efficient and less polluting engines due to a super sped up BS VI and pressure of upcoming CAFE norms. No one, get this straight, no one in the affordable vehicle segment ( till Jeep Compass) is ready right now to withstand this triple whammy. But all are doing heavy lifting to keep up the current sales momentum. May the best Tech win!!!!!
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 10:15   #65
BHPian

The insight in this thread .Brilliant.

The continuous success of Creta and Compass over XUV and other Bulky D segment SUV/Sedans shows a clear shift in preference towards compact,sophisticated and refined cars over Bulky SUV's.If Car Rental companies and Transport ministry can get their act together in reducing friction for good quality rentals,Bulky SUV's/MUV may be relegated to Rentals and Taxis.

Paradoxically,this may in fact increase the market demand for Larger SUV/MUV/Sedan rentals.If the market can be expanded by distributing cost of ownership( rental for consumers and bulk insurance,maintenance,purchase cost for fleet operators) and reduced taxation (excise refund for fleet operations),it will be a win-win for all.

Many people surprised over the Baleno dominance over i20.Three reasons:

1.MARUTI-The default choice.Maruti always has Consumer loyalty benefits for previous Maruti owners over and above Exchange discounts.
2.Kitna Deti hai! -specially the petrol version
3.Superior visual design and interior space

Last edited by drsingh : 13th January 2018 at 10:30.
Old 14th January 2018, 23:05   #66
BHPian

While it is very interesting to take note of popular models and their fortunes month on month, I wonder if t is possible to add some depth to this analysis by digging deeper. While we take note of the body types, it would also be pertinent to see how many automatics are selling as against manuals, month on month and how any 4WD vs 2WD are sold in the SUV segment
Old 15th January 2018, 13:18   #67
BHPian

What would make this analysis even more interesting is if there was a way to see the sales numbers by the transmission type - MT vs AT(although I believe this might be tough to achieve since the manufactures don't release the sales figures by variants )

If the numbers were available, won't be surprised at all to see a dramatic increase in the YoY sale of AT variants.
Old 18th January 2018, 15:57   #68
BHPian

And so the saying goes:

"if you want to sell a car in India, put a Maruti Badge on it"
Its amazing, the dexterity at which maruti continues to clock such numbers.

Hyundai on the other hand seems to be suffering with mixed brain dominance, they think they are premium while they wish to sit on no.2 slot of the mass market

Tata seems to be doing a lot of things right, & making good looking cars is just one of them

Last edited by gurthvader : 18th January 2018 at 16:02.
gurthvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:56   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

This is how Mahindra's iconic SUV Thar fared in 2017. The only formidable competition is from Maruti Suzuki Gypsy.

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-36.jpg

Quote:
Mahindra Thar which is facing almost No competition in its segment but has the closest competitor in terms of sales volume, despite of New (Thar) vs. outdated design Maruti Suzuki Gypsy which doesn’t offer a diesel engine, power steering but still stands as the closest competitor of Mahindra Thar! In the other hand The Thar has a rugged design, masculine robust body-built, while the Gypsy has conventional styling and outdated design. Still Gypsy brings good numbers to Maruti Suzuki and has been able to give competition to Mahindra Thar in terms of sales volume.
December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-44.jpg

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd January 2018 at 07:57.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 13:14   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
And what would be the market reactions with Nissan Kicks? They may decide against launching it.
Is it just me or does the Kicks bear more than a resemblance to Suzuki Swift (albeit larger than Swift) and the Ssangyong Tivoli based XUV7OO? In which case their goose is cooked - Both the XUV7OO and the Swift will undercut it on price.

Just as Merc G Klasse owners get asked "Sumo kahaan se modify karaaya", or Skoda Yeti owners get ridiculed for a more expensive WagonR, all Kicks owners will be butt of jokes by their friends and neighbours!

What say folks?
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks