Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2018, 14:10   #1
Team-BHP Support

December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: December 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Few Points :

1. New Verna and Ecosport : What's wrong? There is huge drop in numbers. Not a good sign at all for fresh launches.

2. Fiat cars : 68, Jeep : 2750!! Did they completely stop production of all Fiat cars?

3. Grand I10, Elite I20 and Creta are the major players for Hyundai. Business as usual.

4. Mahindra is facing bad time. XUV 500 has taken hit, thanks to Compass. They need to get the face-lift soon.

5. I would say Nexon is a hit. The figures are good since launch. Tiago is another success for Tata.

6. Ignis and Ciaz numbers have dropped. Is it because of plant shut down for maintenance?

7. Captur is big time FAIL. Hope Renault wakes up now and not take Indian market for granted.

8. VW & Skoda are also not doing good. There is decline. Rapid and Vento do not sell anywhere close to 2000 like before. Polo numbers have also dropped.

9. Dzire was the best selling Indian car last month.

10. Out of top 10 cars sold,
Maruti : 6/10
Hyundai : 3/10
Renault : 1/10

Cheers!
Dr.Naren is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

TATA Tigor sales have taken a hit in December, mainly because of the Nexon. I see lots of potential Tigor customers at the showroom preferring to take even base/middle variants of Nexon rather than top variants of Tigor, because of the price overlap. Nexon also has a more "pseudo SUV" stance because of which customers are more attracted to it. But ironically, not many people understand that the real usable space in the Tigor is actually more than Nexon, specially when you consider the boot space of Tigor.

Tigor is a potentially superior product to other crowd of Compact Sedans out there - specially considering the build quality and safety aspect. But sad to see a good product not catching up!
DCEite is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:54   #8
BHPian

Verna losing its new boy shine? City seems to have kept up the pace and the total numbers in that segment seems to have dipped.

WRV is settling around 3.5k per months, put together with Jazz (like i20 and i20 active), that number is a healthy 5.5k-6k every month. Honda will be happy with their cosmetic gimmick. Honda need other products in their portfolio to regain the lost 4th position from TATA. Toyota has a good list of products coming up so Honda better watch out. If they is not agile (they never are!), they might find themselves behind TATA and Toyota soon.

It is still a long way to go for Nexon. Only time will tell if it is able to keep the momentum. Let us hope TATA prove history wrong this time and Nexon does not go the Zest/Bolt way (on which it is based on).

Jeep doing really well. Recently drove a colleagues diesel Jeep for sometime - great all round car. XUV struggling as a result. Do I see a steady drop in Creta's numbers also?

1 manufacturer has 50% share and the other 50% is divided into 14 other manufactures (67-33% if you club Maruti and Hyundai). These 2 companies have done fabulously in cracking the market but this is not a good sign for the evolution of the market. We might never see many international models coming to India.
feluda86 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 15:05   #9
BHPian

It's surprising to see Hexa almost double it's numbers as compared to November figures. From 7xx to 12xx. Had expected numbers to further tumble down given the year end. Hoping to see this car stabilise at 1.5k in the coming months.
Nexon as usual is doing wonders but is also eating away at Tigor's sales as someone said above.
Another shocker is the Captur. I liked the car and it has everything. Not sure why it is selling so low.
XUV numbers too are down thanks to the Compass and the Hexa. The cosmetic upgrade that it will be getting will not do it any good unless M&M do something with the ageing interior.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 9th January 2018 at 15:08.
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 15:07   #10
BHPian

Duster v/s Captur:

1. Brand new product Captur stands at merely 227 units & 6 years old product Duster stands at 1369!

2. This tells us that, Indian customers still like old school & butch SUV ( Duster ) & not many takers for crossover ( Captur ) despite of the bling factor

3. With New Gen Duster coming to India in 2019, Duster market and sales is only going to increase and I don't see any positive signs for Captur.
Worrying times ahead for Renault to manage sales of Captur.
RAHS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 15:18   #11
BHPian

The Jeep Compass is a clear hit for FCA, and a new lease of life for them in the market. It really deserves the sales it's getting! Just proves once again that one good product can really change the fortune of a company, even if their history in the said market is not so stellar

Mods - I'm not sure if it's a mistake, but the Innova has been added to the D1 sales graph this month. Please check and correct if necessary.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 9th January 2018 at 15:19.
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 15:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Verna losing its new boy shine? City seems to have kept up the pace and the total numbers in that segment seems to have dipped.

It is still a long way to go for Nexon. Only time will tell if it is able to keep the momentum. Let us hope TATA prove history wrong this time and Nexon does not go the Zest/Bolt way (on which it is based on).

Do I see a steady drop in Creta's numbers also?
I'm sure Nexon will settle at 6-7,000 cars monthly. Yes, Creta's sales are slowly falling. Typical of Hyundai cars. Ditto Verna which was all the rage when fluidic was launched. Then it totally lost to City and Ciaz. Plus, in Creta's case many must be wondering if it's worth spending extra lakhs to gain just a few mm extra legroom in the rear. Captur's lacklustre performance is not surprising. It's hardly VFM and not much of a looker either. I find Duster better-looking. Even in 2018. Good to see Hexa catching up. It's highly deserving car. And, only Bolero and Scorpio seem to keep the M&M flag flying.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 15:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, Creta's sales are slowly falling. Typical of Hyundai cars.
I doubt that is the case. Even last year it sold around 6563 (ruling out Demonetization effect as Hyundai sold the same total number of cars this year as well). So they might have produced less for year-end. The SUV look will definitely keep the numbers ringing for Hyundai and I don't see any competition in the next 1 year.

Quote:
I find Duster better-looking. Even in 2018.
And the facelift looks even better. I doubt for the future of Captur. And what would be the market reactions with Nissan Kicks? They may decide against launching it.

Last edited by jaganpec2002 : 9th January 2018 at 15:39.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 15:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ford - Nothing great, Ecosport done alarmingly low numbers in December. Figo is dead now.

Fiat - As usual sad story.

Honda - BRV is flop, WRV is doing good than expected. City is consistent and topper this month. Nothing else to write about.

Hyundai - Verna is down seriously after great run for 3 months. I guess it will not come up with great numbers now, initial hype is over. i10 Grand, i20 and Creta are doing good as usual.

Jeep - Continuing great run. I can spot many in Pune now.

Mahindra - Scorpio still going good, nothing else. All have slowed down. New Innova competitor is eagerly awaited.

Maruti - Dzire No 1 again !! Good month overall. Few cars like Swift, Ciaz struggling a bit now.

Nissan-Renault - Only Kwid is doing some numbers, rest all are down.

Skoda-VW - Rapid keeping Skoda alive, others supporting with some numbers. For VW, no car is doing good as expected, factory happy in exports mainly.

Tata - Tiago and Nexon doing good numbers, Hexa has also surprise jump, may be year end discounts. Sad to see Tigor struggling.

Toyota - Innova keeps doing some unrealistic numbers over the years, same with Fortuner. Others are flops.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 16:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Skoda-VW - Rapid keeping Skoda alive, others supporting with some numbers.
I would say it’s the other way - Rapid is doing quite badly in its segment while the other 3 models are going pretty good. Octavia is close to the segment leader (Corolla), Superb is going really superb in its segment, and close to 200 units of Kodiaq is actually very good.
vb-saan is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed