Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2006, 11:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha
The change that i wish to see is newer and better looks along with an improved chassis. They can use the Swift platform to make a three box saloon, with a more powerful engine. The car should have good handling and ride and a joy to drive. This is the car I am looking for from Maruti.
Newer looks is a good idea - I have liked the Esteem's looks, but agree that over the years it has become so common that a change might be good. But if the new looks are going to be Swift-based, I would rather they retain the old looks. The Swift has just odd looks - not necessarily good looks. More powerful engine ? Already it is the leader of the pack, in its segment. And you need more ? Also it will enter the higher Baleno segment if made any more powerful - not a good thing for MUL.

Quote:
As far as people replacing an Esteem with an Esteem, i cant say why they do that? Its just that they cant\dont want to spend more money.
You got it very wrong. If someone has 5-lakh odd rupees to spend on an Esteem, it does not take much to extend that budget by some thousands to reach the Baleno Lxi or Accent GLE or base model Aveo / Fiesta. Repeat purchases are made due to the initial usage experience having been awesome. One of the guys who did this repeat purchase was a top manager at an IT firm in Chennai (used to see him at the smoking zone at TIDEL park) and he figured in a news magazine where he mentioned that he did not see a worthwhile upgrade to his Esteem and was going to go for a new Esteem itself. I am sure he has loads of dough, and money was never the factor there.

Quote:
Its with the way these manufaturers foist old technology on us and get away with it. Esteem was replaced in other markets in 1988 and they launched it in India in 1989-90 with the c**** 50 BHP enigne, when they had the 62 BHP fuel injected engine with them then also. Why?
Everything is done with a reason. On this forum I always see some people cribbing about car makers not introducing the exact same specs that they launch in the US or Europe. But have they bothered to think whether the consumer profile is the same in India as it is in the West or how the market differs in both places ? Those are hardcore car markets where a car is just a transportation tool, not a luxury like it is seen here. They use cars for a few years, trade it in and move on to new cars. We generally use a thing till it works, then use it some more by repairing and dump it only when it becomes too much trouble. You mentioned a 2-door, 1.6L Swift which you would like to have here. I am sure there are a few others also in India who would be potential buyers, but then they will be quite negligible and not enough of a crowd for MUL to make it viable. FE is a big thing here and high-bhp, high-torque stuff are only the dreams of a few enthusiasts. The Palio 1.6 is a good example - nice looking car, great power. But how many did it sell ?

Quote:
The Baleno was launched in 1999. It has been replaced by the Liana but still sells in India. Why? Why isnt it being replaced by the Liana in India also?? I know and you guys know it will sell. Its a good car.
A replacement need not always end up as a good decision - Innova and NHC are good examples. A Honda could get away with it, but not everyone else. Regarding the Baleno, MUL is planning to come out with a new one (we have snaps of it on the forum). But what will be different in it ? Most probably the looks - the engine might still be the same for all we know. And looks are subjective. So what is the big deal about replacing cars ? For me, a replacement has to be better than the previous one technologically - better FE, lower emissions, more safety, etc are important. Just getting a new look car does not qualify as an upgrade.
Old 13th December 2006, 14:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

A few days back, my B-I-L visited me from Sydney. He was using a Motorola Razr V3i. When i was deciding on a handset, this phone was topmost in my mind. but when i actually felt it in my hands, it was very disappointing. But when i held his phone, it felt very very different. i guess there are different benchmarks for different countries by the same manufacturer. take for e.g our own esteem, it has a 1.6l variant, a hatchback model & so on in other markets. but what you get here is with or without ps & pw, thats all. i can site a few more examples here. there is not much of a market for cars in india. it is growing, but still a very long away from getting there. it is still a luxury for most of us, not a necessity. In this context, the esteem has done pretty well & still is a contemporary car.
cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 13th December 2006 at 14:27.
Old 13th December 2006, 14:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with esteem_lover! The sales figures certainly indicate that the masses still prefer Esteem.. No stopping them!
Old 13th December 2006, 14:51   #34
BHPian

I had heard that Maruti were planning to replace Suzuki Liana as the new esteem and Suzuki SX4 as the new Baleno.
Old 15th December 2006, 04:07   #35
BHPian

When i said that that Maruti could be based on the Swift platform I did not mean that it has to look like a Swift. I never said that the Esteem is a bad car or people should not buy it anymore. I just feel that its out dated and should be replaced now.

I am sure that if Maruti launches the Liana here it would be a huge success. Maruti has done wonders with this car but all the upgrades done to this car were reactions to the need of the market. None of them were proactive.

Yes lots of people go in for repeat purchases of the Esteem but i guess i was wrong when i said that its because they don't want to spend more money. People like some car and it matches their budget and expectations so they buy it again. I knew i had no chance to win this deabte!!!

I guess i am a bit lost when it comes to FE, reliability etc. I look at them but they are never the deciding factor when it comes to buying a car. So i start to think that everyone is like me. But i guess not.
Old 15th December 2006, 10:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When i said that that Maruti could be based on the Swift platform I did not mean that it has to look like a Swift.
I did not quite understand how it could be based on the Swift platform, yet look substantially different. From what I know and from what I see in India, cars based on the same platform look similar. Examples are Indica-Indigo-Marina and Sail-Corsa-Swing.

Quote:
I never said that the Esteem is a bad car or people should not buy it anymore. I just feel that its out dated and should be replaced now.
You are actually right to an extent. But the sales figures is what is keeping MUL from pulling the plug on it. As they say, "If it ain't broken, why fix it?".

Quote:
I am sure that if Maruti launches the Liana here it would be a huge success. Maruti has done wonders with this car but all the upgrades done to this car were reactions to the need of the market. None of them were proactive.
I also agree that the Liana would be a good thing for us. But then will they be able to price it at Esteem prices ? I am not sure. If they can, then I am all for it. If not, they would be loosing all those potential Esteem buyers to the competition.

Quote:
I guess i am a bit lost when it comes to FE, reliability etc. I look at them but they are never the deciding factor when it comes to buying a car. So i start to think that everyone is like me. But i guess not.
Quoted below is your own answer to this from the thread "Does it matter what we think?".
Quote:
No. It doesnt matter to the manufacturers what "WE" the enthus think. It does matter to them what "Mr. Gupta" with 4 lacs in his pocket shopping for a small car thinks.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 15th December 2006 at 10:49.
Old 15th December 2006, 17:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I did not quite understand how it could be based on the Swift platform, yet look substantially different. From what I know and from what I see in India, cars based on the same platform look similar. Examples are Indica-Indigo-Marina and Sail-Corsa-Swing.
I will give you an example. The Hummer H2 for instance is based on an Chevrolet Tahoe. The Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, Hummer use the same platform. Only the box sections are separate and they can be mixed and matched to form 40 different configurations.

Well I guess you are right. Enthus dont get heard in India.
Old 16th December 2006, 13:17   #38
BHPian

I also know three cars with same plat form who look differently Alto, Wagon R and recently launched new ZEN
Old 16th December 2006, 16:39   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Thats not coz they have the same platform... thats coz, Tata shares body panels in the indigo, indica and marina to reduce costs even more...

Take alto and wagonR... Same platform... But not at all similar looks...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks