Team-BHP - The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/195210-toyota-yaris-edit-prices-start-rs-8-75-lakh-34.html)

While I see many bashing the pricing of the Yaris as being higher than the City, I'd like to point out that in Bangalore at least, the pricing is quite neck and neck. The Yaris' insurance costs over half a lakh rupees, which sounds outrageous, but maybe one could try a different provider for more competitive rates.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-cityonroadpriceinbangalore.png
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-yarisonroadpriceinbangalore.png

With that change, it seems possible that the higher price of the Yaris will be compensated by the higher reliability, lower running and service costs.

So for someone looking to choose between the two in Bangalore, I feel that the price would not be the deciding criteria.

The City could win if one is looking for rear space, a peppy engine and driving dynamics.
The Yaris could win if one is looking at long term ownership costs, build quality and higher resale value.

The biggest downside I see here with the pricing is - as someone pointed out earlier in the thread - that it gives Honda and Hyundai room to inflate prices, and thus even Maruti. :Frustrati
So for a future consumer, there is an indirect impact due to this move.

Toyota YARIS TVC,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H4P55H3jPM

Took test drive of Yaris CVT

+ves
CVT in all variants
Interior quality is good
7 airbags standard
City drivability is good

-ves
Top variants pricing
Rear head room
Rear shoulder room
Strictly a 4 seater
Front arm rest is a design disaster
Highway overtaking needs proper planning
Piano black panels are scratch magnet

Base J variant is pretty good and J CVT under 10L ex-showroom is the best value for money variant. It comes with standard wheel cover, mud flaps, and floor mats as well.

Rear seat is marginally better than Verna (but Verna has slightly higher usable seat length/shoulder room).

People who plan to buy lower variants, stay away from Phantom brown color. It looks horrible, and I find metallic grey looks much better.

Here are couple of videos I shot (Red and Grey colors)

Red
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EArvC25uI7U&t=72s

Grey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q3mrNgBgmY&t=28s

My height is 165 cm (5'5"). Look at that arm rest, it is almost a mile away. Even people who are tall will find Yaris arm rest useless.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-yarisarmrest.jpg

They could have made it sliding type like Hyundai Verna (top lid can slide forward by few inches)
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-vernaarmrest.jpg

Finally I got some time to see the new Yaris, luxury 4 seater sedan as claimed by the poor sales guy because of obvious reasons.

I felt Verna has a spacious rear seat compared to Yaris although the leg room is better in Yaris.

I am 5.7 and my head was brushing against the roof when I tried sitting in the middle of the rear seat, luxury 4 seater sedan - repeated the sales guy with an awkward grin

Lost interest even without driving.

When I asked if he has any J variant, he said they haven't received J variant yet.

Also his claim is that the car already has 30-40 days of waiting period. I walked away.

Will this sell? May be for the Toyota reliability and low service costs(3k every 10k kms) as Honda service is bit on the steeper side.

New CIAZ with CVT(if it comes) will be interesting to watch

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajshenoy (Post 4399866)
I felt Verna has a spacious rear seat compared to Yaris although the leg room is better in Yaris.I am 5.7 and my head was brushing against the roof when I tried sitting in the middle of the rear seat, luxury 4 seater sedan - repeated the sales guy with an awkward grin

My head was almost touching roof when I sat in the Verna middle seat. Shoulder room is slightly better in Verna. I measured the 'usable' rear seat length in both

Verna ~ 132 cm
Yaris ~ 130 cm
My tiny little Spark ~ 120 cm

But rest everything I found Yaris slightly better. But the difference is marginal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajshenoy (Post 4399866)
When I asked if he has any J variant, he said they haven't received J variant yet.

Here are the few pictures of base J variant I clicked (Wheel cover and mud flaps missing - They are available in J variant) . Base variant looks bad in phantom brown color.

How good are the headlights on the Yaris, great if anyone who has driven during night can share their reviews? Also are the projectors halogen or LED?

Partially painted boot goose neck hinge
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-goose.jpg

Boot upper view
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-underside.jpg

Test drive car after chrome rain in Bangalore
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-testdrivecar.jpg

Rear view of arm rest :Frustrati(front seat adjusted to my driving position)
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-arm-rest-rear-view.jpg

This is what happens when you floor the accelerator in Yaris CVT
Car: What are you trying to do?
Me: Trying to overtake a vehicle quickly
Car: What?
Me: Overtake...overtake...
Car: OK, let me try

Quote:

Originally Posted by sid_deb (Post 4399880)
How good are the headlights on the Yaris, great if anyone who has driven during night can share their reviews? Also are the projectors halogen or LED?

I took my test drive during night time, and it was raining too. Found that the headlamps are quite good and better than on my Ciaz.

Both have a similar set up, ie low beam halogen projectors and hi beam halogens.

The reverse camera in low light was not good at all and can't even be compared to the Ciaz' camera display which is quite good even in night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainPrice (Post 4397937)
The City could win if one is looking for rear space, a peppy engine and driving dynamics.
The Yaris could win if one is looking at long term ownership costs, build quality and higher resale value.

Rightly put. If you love to rev your engine (even occasionally), then City I-Vtec is the vehicle to go for. Yaris is only for sedate drivers.

Here is a video showing Yaris MT even slower than City CVT. (Forget about comparing with City MT).

The video is not in English but can easily be understood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8RV0wcRJRM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 4399891)
Rear view of arm rest :Frustrati(front seat adjusted to my driving position)
Attachment 1760593

It'd be apt to call it a rear passenger leg rest than driver's arm rest :uncontrol

Last two days, In search of a good family car for 10-13 L range, I test drove Yaris CVT, MT, City (P) MT, Nexon (D) XZ+ (I pick a better engine rather than the type of fuelstupid:) back to back for quite a long distance and these are my observations -

1. Yaris's back seat is comfortable for two average sized adults, I am 5"6' as Latheesh mentioned my head brushed with the roof in middle seat but not in the side ones. Yaris seat is slightly stiffer than both City and Nexon making it good for long journeys, however under thigh support is better in Nexon's softy seat.

2. Yaris engine is not as urgent as the city's but not at all under powered I could hit 120 pretty easily, DVVT-i feels a bit old compared to IVTEC but one will get used to it in few weeks time, Nexon's low end diesel punch can't be expected in a petrol motor though.

3. I felt yaris's build is snugger compared to city, Nexon also had that heavily built feel but it is not finished as perfectly as Yaris.

Overall, I feel Yaris has a sturdier build, good handling and excellent finish makes it a capable all rounder for a family of 4.
Yes there are few mistakes in yaris like the arm rest, roof height, rubbery gear shift, less premium infotainment etc but I feel yaris will last longer and provide a worry free ownership for 6-8 years, and obviously this car is overpriced,this was the case when Creta was launched but its sales number right from launch tells a different story, it is tough to judge Indian customer mind-set in this regard. With the number of problems reported in recent gen CITY and the unknown reliability of Nexon's engine, betting on yaris is a safer and a more mature option at-least on J, G variant levels.

Regards,
Mani.

With fuel prices ever increasing I really wonder how many of us really want to revv the engine hard. I would prefer to wait for the new upcoming updated Ciaz which is reported to have a SVHS engine for better FE before plonking my money on the Yaris.The target customer of the Yaris seem to be more the mature buyer rather than the young yuppie type. Once launched the Ciaz will definitely give the Yaris a run for it's money. I guess those who want the revving type motor will anyways go for the City etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 4399878)
Base variant looks bad in phantom brown color.

Cars with a beautiful looking brown colour in this segment are the VW Vento and to some extent the Ciaz.
I realized the difference a colour can make, when my wife decided to buy the Vento TSI over the Honda City only because she did not like the shade of brown on offer in City. Before that i had tried giving all kind of logic for buying the Vento but she was still indecisive.

My cousin and I took the test drive of the Yaris today. We have mostly good things to say about the vehicle. Only major negative we found was the useless hand-rest and it is actually a nuisance for the 3rd passenger in the middle. Overall the car felt well built and was rattle free on bad stretches.

The engine and the CV transmission is good and is peppy starting from the low revs. I drive a Crysta automatic and the Yaris CVT has enough poke from low revs and pulls nicely, with three on board it did not feel under powered. I drive an i10 automatic also and compared to that this one is miles ahead in responsiveness, acceleration and refinement. I feel very good drive-ability being one of the top USPs of this engine and transmission package. I tried the paddle shifter and it was actually changing ratios promptly (unlike the Crysta), the exhaust note becomes rather sporty when the RPMs rise, it seemed to hold the ratio when revved high, but automatically drops ratios if speeds are too low for the ratio selected.

The brakes are really awesome!! I was braking like how I do on the Crysta and this was shedding speed faster and stopped within a shorter distance than expected.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img20180515wa0000.jpg

OT but really nice to see this Toyota dealership going full-stops in its Yaris Marketing lol:

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-point-blur_may162018_083503.jpg

I took TD of Yaris CVT this time and found the paddle shifters for up-shift not working !! kept revving the engine, but no use. Interestingly the downshifting worked. Later i tried the stick and worked too.

Not something typically expected from Toyota !!

Some funny answers from the sales guy
Q: Honda city gives me Sun roof in VX variant itself
A: Toyota believes in safety and sun-roof is not safe

Q: Why do we have this driver arm-rest when i cant use it
A: This is luxury car, you can slide your seat back and relax

Q: Well, in that case i cant reach the steering wheel (I showed it to him)
A: (Other sales guy comes to the rescue) Toyota believes in safety and while driving both your hands should be on steering wheel !! Arm rest is for co-passenger who should be relaxing

Didn't feel like asking any further questions.

Coming to the positives, the car is best suited for city runabouts and for those who are light-footed(like me) Car pulls clean and I could see the car glide smoothly with gentle taps. Rubber band is only felt when we floor the pedal.

Noticed that the FE(shown on MID) for 15 mins of my drive to be around 12-13kmpl (simulated city driving condition) so i except the real world FE to be pretty decent for this car.

Well the only VFM variant according to me is the J CVT or G Manual, For around 12Lakhs OTR Bangalore. What are the alternatives in this price range ? Not many !!

But if you want features(higher trims), then the car suddenly feels overpriced !!