Team-BHP - The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/195210-toyota-yaris-edit-prices-start-rs-8-75-lakh-39.html)

This entire fiasco around the armrest is actually one of the reasons I haven't even stepped into the showroom to see this car. I don't think I would be able to live with the car if I know something like this is ergonomically wrong.

Just look at the images from their brochure. It shows both the front and rear seats and the relative placement of the armrest. It almost looks like someone plucked it and put it in a reverse fashion!

Really can't figure out how it passed all their tests. :banghead:

Official Accessories list :

As per reports Toyota sold ~4000 units of Yaris in the month of May. Ciaz sales number during same period is ~ 4000 units.

We need to check whether Yaris numbers are for May month alone or total number since launch.

The handrest seems the most dumbest mistake. I liked everything about the car, but for the useless handrest, that seem to eat into 2nd row ergonomics. Wish Toyota corrects this.

Hi folks,

I had a chance to 'inspect' the Yaris today. It was a top end CVT on display. No TD vehicle was available. No other variant was available either to make any comparisons nor was any customer around.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-orvm_gap2.jpg

My observations:

- 4 variants on offer: J, G, V & VX. Option of CVT available in each of the 4 trims. :thumbs up

- Toyota is known for TQM(Total Quality Management) and their quality reflects in Yaris. Compared to its competition, the quality is notch above City and Verna.

- Talk about the build(metal sheet thickness, consistent panel gaps etc.), the workmanship, the interior fit and finish, all felt nice. The quality standards in Yaris may be compared to what Honda used to offer until 10 years ago, but not as of this day.

- Toyota has gone in the details and I couldn't find any area where cost cutting could be readily noticed.

- Heat absorbing front windscreen is a standard across all the trims. This is something much needed in India in lieu of Apex Court's ruling against tinting of any grade. Very thoughtful of Toyota. clap:

- 7 air bags is standard across all the trims. Deserves another reason to applaud.

- There's a plastic under-body protection provided to the engine. The engine bay itself had protection to many parts.

- Much of the OEM components under the hood have been indigenously sourced from Bosch and Denso.

- Exide battery was sitting in this display vehicle.

- Equipped with 185 section 15 incher MRF ZVTS alloys with the same size non-alloy spare sitting in the boot well.

- Front fog lamps have been sourced from Koito.

- Rear tail lamps have been supplied by Lumax.

- Both the driver and co-passenger get vanity mirror with sliding covers.

- All 4 retracting hand-rails.

- Height adjustable front seat-belts.

- I am a 6 feet tall guy and my stretched back sitting position made me find the arm-rest of little use. But this is specific to my posture that I could rest my elbow.

- With the front seat left in this position, I could sit well behind the driver's seat with still some knee room available. Thanks to 2550mm of wheel-base. The head room was okay as well.

- But shifting to the middle, my head touched the ceiling since the center of the rear bench is significantly raised to form buckets on the either side.

- That said, there is literally no floor hump. Yes, flat! Good for legs at least.

- 476L boot space looks enough but is way behind the competition with the City offering 510L. Even a sub-4m Amaze has 420L to offer. Yaris is a full-fledged 4.425m sedan in that matter.

- As already mentioned, Toyota hasn't done any evident cost cutting and thus even the boot has an inner cladding. One won't see any exposed or dangling wiring as in the present day's Honda City.

- The ORVM turn signal houses a 'bulb' and isn't an LED.

- The protruding turn signals on ORVMs seems a matter of concern. They'll be the first to hit under an impact. See below:

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-orvm_indicator.jpg

- Not just that, these ORVMs extend out too much. Notice the wide gap. Sure to become a pain during peak hour bumper-bumper traffic.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-orvm_gap.jpg

- Although I didn't test drove, the engine specs however do not feel a wow!

The 1496cc inline 4-cylinder Dual VVT-i motor peaks 107PS of power at 6000 rpm (red lines at 6500). Meaning not much power delivery at low end. Similarly, peaks 140NM of torque at 4200 rpm which is again much above than the everyday practical scenarios.

- A short 5.1m of turning radius will help in easy city maneuvering.

- Toyota hasn't mentioned regarding the ground clearance, but it didn't look confident. Apparently, for this reason the display vehicle was intentionally parked over a specially designed raised platform. Autoportal mentions a mere 133mm. Link.

- The VX trim(OTR 14,77,626/- for MT & 1616241/- for CVT) comes with all the bells and whistles but IMO, the V trim(one below) makes more sense to the value proposition(OTR 13,48,183/- for MT & 1484550/- for CVT) for what all it offers.

So who should be buying the Yaris?

- If quality comes utmost to you and so you are willing to pay for it.

- Looking for a reliable C2 sedan under the 'T' badge.

- Want a point A to point B vehicle.

- Urban driving conditions with occasional highway runs.

- Mostly 4 pax.

Cheers!

Toyota Yaris claims its space in the crowded Sedan segment. Honda City loses out. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz is the king of this segment. Vento and Rapid will find it tough as no face-lifts can rekindle buyers in its current offering.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-ya.jpg

Source: Auto Punditz

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4410985)
Toyota Yaris claims its space in the crowded Sedan segment. Honda City loses out.

Honda City has its work cut out alright. But I'm not sure a sub 3k figure is a positive number for a brand new car in the market. Even when the new Verna's sales stabilized after months of high volumes, it was easily doing about 4k. Yaris will have a very tough fight in this segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikipedia87 (Post 4411042)
Honda City has its work cut out alright. But I'm not sure a sub 3k figure is a positive number for a brand new car in the market. Even when the new Verna's sales stabilized after months of high volumes, it was easily doing about 4k. Yaris will have a very tough fight in this segment.

We need to remember that the Yaris doesn't have a diesel option. 2.8k units for a petrol only sedan is pretty good.

That said, I think the numbers will settle down at the 2k level after the initial euphoria.

Quote:

Toyota Yaris claims its space in the crowded Sedan segment. Honda City loses out. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz is the king of this segment.

That is what value for money factor can do to a car. Enthusiasts may say so many things but they are a minority. The general public is wise enough to choose with priorities straight. Only car in the segment which can comfortably seat 5, is fuel efficient and also reliable.

And ciaz alpha sells at 14+ lakhs on the road, proving yet again a million rupee maruti can sell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron:) (Post 4411050)
We need to remember that the Yaris doesn't have a diesel option.

Completely agree with you. What I meant was that the City and Verna facelifts were sold in excess of 6k when they were launched. So I was hoping for a 3k plus figure for the Yaris atleast in its first month.

Quote:

That said, I think the numbers will settle down at the 2k level after the initial euphoria.
Agreed again. Most of the sales would be for the CVT variants in my opinion, especially the lower two trims. That's where the Yaris is a much more value-for-money proposition.

Quote:

Toyota Yaris claims its space in the crowded Sedan segment. Honda City loses out. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz is the king of this segment. Vento and Rapid will find it tough as no face-lifts can rekindle buyers in its current offering.

Attachment 1768786

Things are pretty clear, Hyundai making its 1.6 Diesel presence felt and Suzuki making its reach/cheaper price tag. Only Petrol enthusiast and few Petrol AT sales seem to help City. I would not be surprised, if Yaris is the highest selling AT sedan in the segment.

Quote:

Attachment 1768786

This was expected. However i still feel this is just initial hype and we might see Yaris settle into 1-2K range, with majority of the sales in J or G variants only.

Ciaz will continue to sell well because of the pricing, and the new facelift should help it maintain the sales.
Verna i feel will sell for the diesel engines. It seem to have the best diesel engine in the segment.
Honda city was selling well for the petrol engine and will face the heat due to Yaris(and may be new Amaze to some extent)
Vento/Rapid and rest should not really see(or make) much impact

I am looking at replacing my Civic AT in a year plus (once BS-VI kicks in). So I am interested in the CVT version. I do not think we can expect the battery/hybrid so soon.

Quote:

Frankly this is the new/novelty factor at work for in favour of the Yaris. Let's see how things stand around end of this year when these factors lose their high impact on buying decisions.

That's when the tyres will hit the tarmac and people will buy the car for more logical reasons including trouble free performance, excellent after sales support, reasonable maintenance and running costs among others. Most middle class folks want a family sedan with these very characteristics.

As for the VW/Skoda twins, well, VAG India is on a slippery slope with a majority of its models. So no surprises there.

There's always going to be tough competition between Toyota, MSIL, Honda and Hyundai offerings all of which have their own USPs. And then there is the collaboration between Toyota and Suzuki to consider. Things will be even more interesting if/when TMC eventually acquires Suzuki in the future. :)

But the Yaris will certainly take a significant chunk of the C sedan segment market share. This product is primarily aimed at the Honda City and then the Hyundai Verna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simhi (Post 4394670)
Did I read a mini official review? A very good write up accompanied with excellent snaps. Users especially CVT ones will sorely miss the dead pedal a lot. Almost 100k differences in OTR prices between Kolkata and Pune :Frustrati

PS: The road tax in the price list is for 5 years and hence the big difference in on-road price.