Team-BHP - The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/195210-toyota-yaris-edit-prices-start-rs-8-75-lakh-36.html)

Has anyone in T-BHP booked Yaris ? Just curious to know the reaction in our forum in general.

They have a big launch today in Bangalore. I have got the invite too(will skip mostly) but honestly it might be bit tough for Toyota to make any dent in Honda city sales after say couple of months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajshenoy (Post 4402043)
Has anyone in T-BHP booked Yaris ? Just curious to know the reaction in our forum in general.

I think one of our mods, Navin have booked the Yaris already. I'm sure there will be a few among us who have already made a booking.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4395802

I was checking out Yaris for my budget of 10-12 lakhs sedan. But finally chose Honda City 2017 V MT for its better engine and overall aesthetics of the car.

Yaris has the Toyota reliability and all safety aspects covered, but the pricing of the manual G varient versus the City V Petrol varient comes out nearly 1 Lakh rupees more in ex showroom Gurgaon. Lastly Yaris do look smaller to me, but that is only my perception.

Today Toyota will deliver 1000 cars to its customers, 3000+ cars planned for dispatch by May end.

Link

I had a chance to take the Test Drive of the Toyota Yaris CVT today. Vivo Toyota got the car home today for the Test Drive.

Went for a drive within the city and here are my main observations:

1. The NVH Levels are astounding when the windows are raised. It is an extremely silent cabin.

2. The car feels like its built for City driving, maneuverability is excellent and the car feels smaller than it is and you feel confident to zip thru the traffic.

3. The front seats were comfortable and I found a good driving position easily.

4. The Audio System looks like its aftermarket - the way its fit into its slot did not feel premium to me. Also the plastics in the front dash did not impress me either.

5. Coming to the rear sear, space seems decent for 2 people. Legroom is decent but not comparable to the City. The Armrest is a HUGE design flaw. I hope Toyota can do something about it since it neither helps the driver nor the rear passenger.

6. The roof based AC was not impressive at the rear - felt average and more of a gimmick.

7. The boot seemed decent and appreciate Toyota for having provided cladding for the boot lid.

8. CVT seemed average and did suffer from rubber band effect. The Manual mode is available and provides an alternative to enjoy quick shifts.

Overall seems like a good package and a good alternative in terms of a in-city Petrol car except for that armrest which is unforgivable :Frustrati

Here are some pictures I took after the test drive:

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_113819.jpg
Audiosystem looked Aftermarket

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_113856.jpg
Rear Seat - Decent for 2 at best - Horrible Armrest

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_113902.jpg
Decent Looking Alloy Wheels

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_113947.jpg
Average Plain Jane looks from the Rear. The City Looks the Best

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_113955.jpg
Decent Boot - not as big as the Honda City but loading seems easy

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_113959.jpg
Toyota provides a good Boot Mat

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114011.jpg
Toyota has not skipped on the Boot Lid Cladding

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114025.jpg
View of the Engine Bay - Petrol Only

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114048.jpg
Side View

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114109.jpg
Powered Controls for Seat Adjusted - Top End Only

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114111.jpg
View of the Driver's Cabin

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114126.jpg
Foldable Seats

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114155.jpg
View of the Engine

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114329.jpg
View from the Driver's Seat - 01

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114331.jpg
View from the Driver's Seat - 02

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114332.jpg
View from the Driver's Seat - the Uptown Red Ignis is seen parked in front

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114408.jpg
Roof Mounted Rear Vents - Not very impressive

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180519_114419.jpg
Dual Lights for the Rear Passengers

Saw one in the morning and it was a customer car. Loved the rear and from a distance I thought it was the previous gen Elantra. It looks really neat in person but those wheel covers :Frustrati.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180521_103754.jpg

Toyota would be better advised to market the front arm rest as rear seat foot rest. It is too close to the rear seat passenger than the poor driver. I couldn't imagine what would happen to the guy sitting in the middle of the rear seat when the driver applies a hard breaking :Shockked:

On seeing the white color and yellow temporary plates for a moment I thought Yaris has started selling as taxi to fleet owners (though not possible as Yaris is available only with petrol).
We can expect 5 star hotels to buy Yaris as taxi for guests as it's a cheaper alternative to Corolla (which is a famous taxi being already being used by many luxury hotels).

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopalnt (Post 4403397)
Toyota would be better advised to market the front arm rest as rear seat foot rest. It is too close to the rear seat passenger than the poor driver. I couldn't imagine what would happen to the guy sitting in the middle of the rear seat when the driver applies a hard breaking :Shockked:

That is exactly the reason why Toyota provided proper 3 point seat belt for middle passenger at the rear.

May be this rear leg rest is the reason for roof mounted vents as well. Imagine blower taking some more space behind that arm rest.

Yesterday I test drove yaris once again stupid: to examine it in detail, want to add one more point in addition to all the known feedback.

I opened the bonnet with engine at idling rpm and asked the SA to rev hard in neutral. The engine was too loud and felt unrefined, I did the same thing in Verna's 1.6 CRDI, to my surprise it was so smooth than DVVTI and sounded extremely refined, will try this in city's ivtec and all my view here.

I also observed that engine movement is more in yaris (it actually rocked heavily when revved) than in verna, is this because of jam packed nature and snug fitment of diesel's engine bay compared to petrol?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmani0000 (Post 4404577)
I opened the bonnet with engine at idling rpm and asked the SA to rev hard in neutral. The engine was too loud and felt unrefined, I did the same thing in Verna's 1.6 CRDI, to my surprise it was so smooth than DVVTI and sounded extremely refined, will try this in city's ivtec and all my view here.

I also observed that engine movement is more in yaris (it actually rocked heavily when revved) than in verna, is this because of jam packed nature and snug fitment of diesel's engine bay compared to petrol?

^^^ But why? How does an engine noise revved in neutral any way indicative of its performance on road?? Unless the engine 'rocking' translates into cabin vibration, how does it matter?

I think sometimes we are too harsh judging the cars (or rather anything in life). I used to pull the driver seat all the way back to see how much space would the rear passenger have. Then one day I realized, why would I need to pull the seat all the way back? It does not translate to my real world use, so why do I care?

So unless revving the engine in neutral is on top of your priorities with the car, please make sure to use other variables to compare cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4404626)
^^^ But why? How does an engine noise revved in neutral any way indicative of its performance on road?? Unless the engine 'rocking' translates into cabin vibration, how does it matter?

Perhaps, it doesn't matter to you but it matters to him and me. I like to know how free revving or hard it is and how quickly it returns to idle RPM. Tells a lot about the engine character even before a test drive.

Quote:

I used to pull the driver seat all the way back to see how much space would the rear passenger have. Then one day I realized, why would I need to pull the seat all the way back? It does not translate to my real world use, so why do I care?

Well, fair enough if you didn't care but there are many who do. My cousin bought a Duster and it suited him fine. He's about 5'9. Later he hired a driver who was about 6'1" and this guy pushes the seat all the way back, and I mean, literally, all the way back, when he drives. My cousin still regrets not checking that leg room while booking the car. Thankfully, most times he's the only passenger so that's not an issue as the seat behind this tall driver is unusable.

Had to visit the Toyota service centre to get a wiper blade (squeegee) replacement. And saw 2 Yaris with automatics parked right in front. Checked them out. The left arm/elbow rest is a joke as is the rear seat head space..I am 5' 11". This is not a car I'd enjoy being in driven around in whilst seated on the rear bench. Head room at the driver's seat is way better. Sorry TKM, you got the rear seating & arm rest position wrong.

I'll probably take a test drive next week when I visit again for another hood insulator replacement. The Yaris is a nice car but the City scores way better on rear seat comfort for people nearing 6 ft tall or over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmani0000 (Post 4404577)

A diesel smoother than a petrol engine? Really? :) Remember diesels don't rev as fast and high as comparable petrol engines do. As @ani_meher said revving a stationary car is not a typical use case for most car buyers.

Oh by the way some of Toyota's petrol engines are a bit buzzy when revved. But doesn't impact driveability or performance. You may find the Honda's City's petrol engine is a bit smoother.

Quote:

That's due to flexible engine mounts and not a fault in the engine. Any car engine will flex the mounts by varying degrees when it is suddenly revved.

Quote:

I think sometimes we are too harsh judging the cars (or rather anything in life).

I didn't say that affects the on road performance, I never judged a car for what it is, every car is like human has its own set of + and -, but its nothing wrong to highlight things so that people can pick the most suited option. I did that to get a sense of engine's NVH and compared it with a car from the same segment. Its fine to have all sort of sound insulation to a noisy engine or no insulation for a silent engine or the other way round, as long as it runs no one's hurt, but only when we open the bonnet and see how it sounds, we will be able to find the actual sound of that engine.

if detailing is not needed then what is the point of having a typical tBHP review which is so detailed that it even focuses on the fuel cap sticker or a small tiger image on the rear wind shield, how we are going to use that on-road anyway? simply because we want to cover a car comprehensively, each and every bit of it, it doesn't mean we are blaming the car, no car manufacturer will cheat their customer when they get more than a million rupee from them. If we don't need detailing, a car review can be done in two words like family car, enthusiast car, all-rounder car, safe car etc

^^^ I didn't mean to discourage or demean your efforts. A 'review' is not a use case scenario. I thought you were evaluating the car for own use, and hence added that one ought not judge the car in ways it will never be used. For example, if I want to tow gunnybags of grains in my car, then I will look at the sinking of rear because of a 500kg load. But if I am never going to put so much luggage ever, I won't care for its performance.

By all means go ahead and check all the parts. Power to the reviewer! But a buyer should then arrive at a 'weighted average' of review, based on his or her use case.