Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2018, 15:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i30 spied in India!

I like the look of the car except for the reflectors mounted above the rear bumper. However I am not sure whether there will be a market for this if priced in the 10 - 12 lakh range.

Is there any chance that it is being used as a mule to test out one of the KIA offering that is to come in sometime next year?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 24th August 2018, 20:30   #62
BHPian

Spotted the Hyundai i30 on test last weekend in Chennai on Durgabai Deshmukh Road opposite the HP Petrol Pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i30 spied in India!-hyundai-i30.jpg  

TejasKinger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 21:19   #63
BHPian

Hyundai i30 Spied Testing In India Again Fuelling Launch Speculations

Quote:
With the Kona Electric entering India last month boasting 452 km driving range on a single charge, Hyundai is expected to bring in more global products to the domestic market and the i30 could take advantage of the homologation relaxation.
Hyundai i30 spied in India!-img_20190803_211835.jpg

Hyundai i30 spied in India!-img_20190803_211820.jpg

Quote:
If Hyundai decides to sell the i30 in India, it could be offered in a fully-loaded trim powered by the 1.0-litre turbo GDI petrol engine used in the Venue pumping out 120 PS and 172 Nm. Both six-speed manual and a seven-speed DCT could be on offer if Hyundai looks at localising the hatchback to a certain extent as it is based on the same platform as Elantra.The Hyundai i30 could carve a niche on its own in the price range of around Rs. 12-15 lakhs.

Source

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 3rd August 2019 at 21:24.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 10:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

ARAI starts testing Hyundai i30 diesel

A test mule of the Hyundai i30 hatchback has been spotted testing in India. The car's rear windshield bears a yellow sticker indicating that it is being tested by the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI).

Hyundai i30 spied in India!-newhyundaii30testarailaunchindia2.jpg

The same i30 with the same number plate has been spotted earlier. However, since the ARAI is involved this time, it is being speculated that the car is being homologated for India.

Hyundai i30 spied in India!-newhyundaii30testarailaunchindia41068x801.jpg

The test car has a 1.6D badge on the boot lid, which suggests that it has the 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged diesel engine under its bonnet. This engine comes in two states of tune - 113 BHP and 134 BHP and is offered with either a 6-speed manual gearbox or a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Hyundai has not made any official announcement regarding the introduction of the i30 in India.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 13th April 2020 at 10:21.
TusharK is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 11:22   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The test car has a 1.6D badge on the boot lid, which suggests that it has the 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged diesel engine under its bonnet. This engine comes in two states of tune - 113 BHP and 134 BHP and is offered with either a 6-speed manual gearbox or a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
Thanks for the pictures. I would be surprised if they launched the 1.6L diesel in India, unless it is going to be a fully imported limited volume model. Hyundai and Kia in India has pretty much standardized on the U2 CRDI 1.5L engine as the standard offering across the range in different states of tune. It would not make much sense to introduce the 1.6 Diesel in India, for a low volume model such as the i30.

However, if they do go ahead, it would make for a proper hot diesel hatch - with 135 HP, 300NM engine and a 7 speed auto transmission! It is supposed to do 0-100 in less than 10 seconds. I expect it to be pricey though, slotted above the Creta.

I found a couple of things curious about the article. Funny that they would decorate the test car like this. The photograph seems to have been taken prior to the lock-down, you can see a large number of vehicles in the lats last paragraph. It makes me wonder if Rushlane is posting a recycled photo from sometime ago during a festival such as Pongal time in January?

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th April 2020 at 11:28.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 11:31   #66
Senior - BHPian

Is Hyundai launching a new segment? They did it back then with the Getz in the mid 2000s. Although a brilliant car, it was a failure in the market. It’ll be interesting to see how Indians accept the i30.

Would we have seen a car undergoing ARAI testing if Hyundai planned to sell <2500 units?
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 12:29   #67
BHPian

I hope Hyundai launches this in our country. In my opinion the fastback version would be a better bet as people would rather put 18 big ones on a unique looking sedan rather than a hatchback. If they bring the i30N it will serve as a good halo product for the brand along with Kona.

Off topic but I am of the opinion that Hyundai should do a Nexa like thing from Creta onwards. Most Hyundai showrooms are cramped and enough attention is not given to people interested in cars like Elantra and Tuscon leading to their poor sales despite being competent products.

Last edited by PetrolheadRup : 13th April 2020 at 12:32.
Old 13th April 2020, 13:06   #68
BANNED

Other than the die-hard Hyundai fans, none else will be interested in this, IMO. Such uninspiring looks compared to the compact SUVs which may fall in the same price range and very MPV'ish from the rear.

Also, it has close resemblance to the current i20. For all those who think that the next gen i20 is over-done and on-the-face design but want a Hyundai, this may be a relaxation even though it will be priced much higher. Could be a ploy by Hyundai not to lose sales to competitors.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 13th April 2020 at 13:10.
Old 13th April 2020, 13:16   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Other than the die-hard Hyundai fans, none else will be interested in this, IMO.
I certainly see a market for this. Its not going to be a mainstream car, but for someone who wanted a Polo diesel GT, this is going to be a perfect replacement.

It's going to be a hot hatch for the masses, and also more practical, since this one might actually be able to seat 4 people. (my cousin's polo can't, with the front seat set to my 6' height.)
turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 17:42   #70

I think it will be perfect for people wanting to look for a spacious hatchback with good interiors. I'll be one in the queue if it were to launch in India. Especially after Creta's and Verna's hideous looks.
Old 13th April 2020, 21:07   #71
BHPian

I am of the opinion that hyundai won't be bringing I30 here anytime soon. No doubt it is a total package in its current iteration however it might not be a good time to diversify given the segment itself has a history of let downs (read Scross).

Instead i hope they might be focusing on VFM proposing of existing line up and thereby leverage maximum returns. Bringing up a fresh product <6L might not be a bad idea either.
Abby92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 08:07   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, when Hyundai launched the 1st-gen i20, everyone said there is no market for a premium hatchback that's well over 6 lakh rupees, has 6 airbags etc. We all know how that panned out . I think Hyundai should push for launching the i30 here. It's anyway zero-risk as the car is an international model (unlike say, Tata, which has to develop the Altroz primarily for India). There is definitely a customer segment that wants "more" from a hatchback than what the current lot offer. @ Hyundai: just make it a truly premium experience .
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 08:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think Hyundai should push for launching the i30 here.
Yes, definitely. But what about the current global situation? Like in the other thread where people were discussing about whether or not it’s a good idea for car manufacturers to resume production, how viable would this be in today’s market? Will (any, if not many) people actually invest in a car, even a month after this crisis is over?

What a gloomy prospect!
Old 14th April 2020, 09:09   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There is definitely a customer segment that wants "more" from a hatchback than what the current lot offer.
Yours truly is already one such example, with a well set cabin and a powerful motor,I would nay way prefer a 4.3 meter hatchback over an entry level sedan. What one gets is immense flexibility (CSUV type of utility in terms of luggage hauling capability), and a wonderful driving experience with a low set ride and powerful motor.

The 1.6D looks quite powerful over here, small sales numbers are expected and hence I am expecting a better quality product too; taking maybe either SKD or CKD route. Price it well, and I am in for one.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 12:57   #75
A M
BHPian

Good move by Hyundai. I'm sure it'll find takers. Although Maruti calls it a crossover, don't we have the S-Cross already selling in the large hatch segment?

Has Hyundai not done away with the 1.6D in favour of 1.5D?
A M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks