Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2018, 10:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado launched at Rs. 92.60 lakh

Outrageous pricing for a car with an old engine. I wonder why they didn't use the GD engine. They manufacture the engine here and the Prado in Australia uses the GD engine.

I wonder what will the ex-showroom price of the LC 200 now.
Edit: It's INR 1.38 cr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone at Toyota preponed his joke for April Fool's day .

Whoever is in charge of Toyota's CBUs has absolutely no clue of the market. He should be fired and exported to Japan along with whatever Prados they have imported.

The Prado doesn't really have too much to offer over the Fortuner, the Landcruiser 200 has a significant advantage over the Fortuner.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st March 2018 at 10:39.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 12:27   #47

Guys, I have a basic observation, we have been comparing the Fortuner with Endy and Prado. On the Toyota global website, Fortuner is listed under MUVs/vans and not under SUVs. Having owned a Fortuner, I sold it off because of excessive flex during off-roading as compared to a Pajero. It might be rugged but so is Innova. Probably there are differences in the mechanicals because of which Fortuner is not categorised with Hilux and the LCs.
kds350 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 14:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds350 View Post
Guys, I have a basic observation, we have been comparing the Fortuner with Endy and Prado. On the Toyota global website, Fortuner is listed under MUVs/vans and not under SUVs. Having owned a Fortuner, I sold it off because of excessive flex during off-roading as compared to a Pajero. It might be rugged but so is Innova. Probably there are differences in the mechanicals because of which Fortuner is not categorised with Hilux and the LCs.
Mind sharing the source kds350? As far as i have seen, Toyota India/Australia websites do list the fortuner, prado & mighty LC200 on the SUV line-up.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 21st March 2018, 14:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, CHR is also listed under SUV does that mean it is as rugged as a Hilux and LC?
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 15:34   #50
BHPian

[As for the “antiquated” 5/6 speed transmission, it is a bulletproof unit and I would rather have that rather than a gimmicky 8/9 speed slushbox that forever keeps on hunting for the right cog. ]

Even the current gearbox which comes with 4 litre engine in Dubai hunts for gear so it may be bullet proof but is not performance oriented. Rather Prado is the slowest car in its category with comparable engine competitors with a very unexciting drive, interiors and overall dynamics. I believe Toyota has leveraged reliability way too far and is still reaping benefits of its legacy. Although I am aligned with Toyota's approach, if they can sell this car at 1 Cr, why not!!, it is for the people to decide their money's worth.
oxymoron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 16:23   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Mind sharing the source kds350? As far as i have seen, Toyota India/Australia websites do list the fortuner, prado & mighty LC200 on the SUV line-up.
Cheers,
Deepak
Hi
Google Toyota Global website and go to vehicle gallery. Do not select region but click on either 'All' or respective categories. The link is given below

http://www.toyota-global.com/showroo...ry/result/#mpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Well, CHR is also listed under SUV does that mean it is as rugged as a Hilux and LC?
There are 12 SUVs listed on the Toyota Global website incl CHR. I am sure all are not the same on multiple parameters. The point i was making is that Fortuner is not on the list. Innova is a pretty rugged MUV, Ask the Taxi drivers in Leh but it is not a SUV. Neither would an Hexa be even though it is a 4WD.

Last edited by navin : 22nd March 2018 at 11:26.
kds350 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:55   #52
BHPian

As with any business, it's down to the bean counters to tell the technical guys in charge of Asean that so much $ is available and technical guys deliver what best they can from a budget they got. Toyota very well knows such their Prados won't sell more than a few units here, and we end up getting the last of the hand me downs from the production lines.

Sure, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines may get better kit in the same model, but ultimately Yen-Dollar currency fluctuation matters a lot when we talk about a high import content in such Suv's & these countries have their EXIM measures placed better than India, & from a long time really, thus IMO leading to a better trade off as what can be offered as standard kit in these countries keeping the costs in check.

Can't say the same about India. Only Hyundai has somehow managed to offer their global standardised features and mechanicals for any given volume of cars they can sell in India. A few years ago, their Korean boss in India remarked that India needs to get it's macro-economic structure right, and yet we're still muddled with british era legislations plus modern skewed GST and other innumerable state levies + absurd RTO charges all leading to a eye popping OTR price.

The only way India can get standard spec as standard spec is if we move towards all petrol models & leave the diesels for highway trucks alone. Economics won't work out given our warped tax structure this way for sure, but it's surely better having a few global standard models in petrol which enthusiasts can finally remark as being treated as equals, than having mixed limbs in a product costing a bomb.
Ford5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 14:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are 12 SUVs listed on the Toyota Global website incl CHR. I am sure all are not the same on multiple parameters. The point i was making is that Fortuner is not on the list. Innova is a pretty rugged MUV, Ask the Taxi drivers in Leh but it is not a SUV. Neither would an Hexa be even though it is a 4WD.
I don't know about Toyota's criteria for SUV, but in Australian market Fortuner is treated as SUV and there are enough comparisons of it with Endeavour and Prado. Anyway a car can be treated differently outside India, like a Mercedes C class as a taxi in Germany, or a Civic as compact sedan in US. What matters is, In India both Prado and Fortuner are marketed as SUV!

Last edited by PrideRed : 22nd March 2018 at 15:16.
Old 22nd March 2018, 19:49   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I don't know about Toyota's criteria for SUV, but in Australian market Fortuner is treated as SUV and there are enough comparisons of it with Endeavour and Prado. Anyway a car can be treated differently outside India, like a Mercedes C class as a taxi in Germany, or a Civic as compact sedan in US. What matters is, In India both Prado and Fortuner are marketed as SUV!
The probable reason for such classification can be the internals/mechanicals. Fortuner is known for lots of handling issues specially in Australia. There are many threads on plenty of their related sites. Maybe the reason could be difference of Chassis strength or the suspension components. Somewhat like the difference in Trailhawk versions and normal ones of Jeep. And frankly here in India also, Fortuner has a dubious reputation for handling.
Old 23rd March 2018, 07:21   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The probable reason for such classification can be the internals/mechanicals. Fortuner is known for lots of handling issues specially in Australia. There are many threads on plenty of their related sites. Maybe the reason could be difference of Chassis strength or the suspension components. Somewhat like the difference in Trailhawk versions and normal ones of Jeep. And frankly here in India also, Fortuner has a dubious reputation for handling.
The actual reason why certain models are classified as being in the same segment is to do with the price range, as well as heritage. Pickup/upte based derivatives are in a similar range, and then there are the bigger sized SUVs.

Example of pickup based SUVs :
Toyota Hilux -> Fortuner
Ford Ranger -> Endeavour/Everest
Isuzu D-Max -> MU-X
Mitsubishi L200/Triton -> Pajero Sport/Challenger
Nissan Navara -> Pathfinder

The next segment has the following:
Toyota Landcruiser Prado,
Mitsubishi Pajero / Montero

The Endeavour/Everest owing to its price range tries to co-exist across both these segments.

Last edited by GTO : 25th March 2018 at 23:36. Reason: Pajero / Montero
benbsb29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 07:53   #56
BHPian

This is just truly insane pricing!.
The same vehicle in UAE is around the INR 30 lac price range, give or take a few lakhs, depending on the variant. As far as off-roading goes, the Prado can never match its bigger cousin, the 'proper 'Land cruiser. On road handling of the Prado is nothing great either, not as bad as the fortuner, maybe better by a small bit.

To be buying this vehicle by spending x3 times the actual value of the vehicle is silly. It just does not make any business sense. However, I am sure there will be some takers for this car in India, some people who place more importance on brand image and to be seen in one and of course, who have plenty of moolah to throw about.

Cheerio!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks