Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2018, 00:15   #136
BANNED

re: Bought a new car, but I hate it. Now what?

First of a kind thread on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Also countless crash photos in Team-bhp and speaking with people who crashed Maruti cars now justifies what really they are made of.
Irony just jumped off the bridge.

Buddy is it you who typed this post in the Baleno Official Review in response to crash images posted by a member in the review thread? Link here (Maruti Baleno : Official Review)

Quote:
It does not makes sense to see a picture of a crashed car and concluding whether it is safe or not

I am not trying to defend Baleno or Maruti here.

So don't conclude anything by the images.
I agree you aren't in good terms with the Baleno for it's build quality and overall sense of safety that you get when being in it, but weren't you aware of it when signing that dotted line?

I presume you would have read earlier prior purchase about the sheet metal thickness, build quality, doors lightness!! If you did and it had given you a feel of not being in a safer car, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Sincere request to you: Please remove those stickers from the car ASAP, the car will thank you. Everytime you approach the car, those stickers will be reminding of the wrong decision you made, not correct IMHO. Remove it and sell it. This car being a Maruti and a Baleno it'll fetch you decent price with least possible losses.

Also please blank the plates - Team-BHP is most surfed/read forum in the country and the other media portals pick news items etc from here and it is the last thing you'd not want to have your cars images circulating around the country with those stickers that'll ruin the sale price further.

Looking at the tone in the first post of this thread, please sell the car and get a VW or Skoda. If you are paranoid about the ASC related issues pertaining to VW or Skoda cars, then get a Hyundai which is slightly better than the Maruti being discussed here. If not get a Toyota Etios, unless reliable, cheap to run and maintain plus safe to be in but boring to look at and drive. Thanks to crash ratings it has garnered for itself, looks to be the best car for you.
a4anurag is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 00:22   #137
BHPian

I have a Baleno automatic and a solid in your mind car, the Polo GT Tsi. Let me give you a few pointers:
1. Baleno has much better brakes than the Polo.
2. Baleno handling is fairly good too, so you won't feel bad on the highway or insecure, just not polo league
3. Baleno is much better for b2b traffic than the Polo, the GT transmission is reluctant to go down to 1st and very lazy off the mark.
4. Mileage of the Baleno is crazy, even in extreme traffic I've managed 12.5, Polo's Mileage goes downhill at the first sight of traffic.
I hope you realise the good parts, if not, you should also give a visit to a nexa showroom and ask them about the waiting period for this car, still runs into 6-8 week category, 2.5 years after launch. Or see the sales figures, they'll make your heart grow fonder.
dhruvritzed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 03:26   #138
BHPian

Reading some of the statements made by our fellow subscribers, I must say that this problem that the OP is facing is primarily due to the products that are low on quality and even lower on the list of features that they provide. We pay almost double for the same car as compared to other people all over the world. Yet we often get striped down versions of that car (lacking in features that are considered basic essentials everywhere else).
Despite all this India has been one of the biggest markets for some of these manufacturers, because we are such a forgiving lot and are willing to overlook the fact that we are being taken for a ride.

It's high time that we should not let the age old reputation of a brand influence our purchase decision but instead base the decision on its merits.
Palaver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 09:42   #139
BHPian

That's unfortunate. As suggested by lot of TBHPians, please take off those stickers and sell it off. And get another car of your choice. I can't think of the feeling of walking up to those stickers every time I want to go out on the road. IMHO, there is no point in living with such levels of stress everyday. We all make mistakes, and fixing it at the right time is the best option to move forward. IMHO, doing proper research before buying any product would help avoid such agonizing situations.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 09:47   #140
BHPian

Precisely the reason, why I never enter in a Maruti showroom. The build quality is so weak, that this one flaw outweighs all other perceived positives that it has.

Now since you've invested lot of money in buying one, I'd first suggest that you remove all those stickers that you've pasted, and sell it off immediately. You will thereafter need a car that is powerful, is reliable, has a good and value for money service support and has a decent build quality.

All of this in one means you've to look at either : Tata, Toyota or Ford. A pre-owned Corolla / Ecosport, or a new Nexon / Aspire would do well
Swapnil4585 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 10:24   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

OP had bought a car and is not happy with it. So many opinions have been given by others on both sides of the coin.

My question to OP - Now what?

Posing a dead end question without any will do take next steps is waste of time. So OP now what?
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 11:25   #142
BHPian

There had been countless threads in this forum detailing horror stories about Skoda/VW/Ford/Fiat cars, and Maruti fans have walked gleefully into each one of them, offering advice on the importance of owning "trouble-free" cars, why such irresponsible manufacturers should be taken to task etc.

Didn't we all praise those Skoda/VW/Ford/Fiat owners when they protested in front of the showrooms, put stickers on their cars, and even had their cars towed by donkeys?

And now one Maruti owner chooses to highlight the shortcomings in his car and Maruti fans suddenly lose their minds. Why?

What if I said - "unreliability is part and parcel of owning a Skoda/VW/Ford/Fiat and the buyer should have done his homework properly before buying it". Sounds familiar, right? If being a death trap and rattling are acceptable parts and parcels of buying a Maruti car, then unreliability should also be a an acceptable part and parcel of owning a Skoda/VW/Ford/Fiat car.
blacksport is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 11:37   #143
BHPian

I was about to purchase a Baleno when it was launched, but after a test drive, my family were totally against it. Coming from an Indigo, the Baleno felt remarkably tinny. It was a hoot to drive due to the light weight with either engine. At the time too, there were several messages in social media about it's light weight. What turned my family completely against the car was this photo.

Attachment 1772337

The pic shows how a new Baleno fared against a VW Jetta. The media was quick to point out that the Jetta had but a dent, while the Baleno was entirely destroyed. I replied then that the Baleno had done its job well, and the bumpers and bonnet had taken the impact. You can see that the beam in front has not been crushed. Further, in a rear end collision, the car in front will have its rear raised (if braking), while the car in rear would have it's front down due to diving. This of course causes the car behind to slide under the other's bumper, making the bonnet and the upper bumper take most of the impact, leaving little to no damage on the car in front.

My family's reply was, "Still, their car got wrecked, and they have to pay", and reminded me of when our old car had rolled down our drive and bashed open the neighbour's steel gate, with no visible damage at all (True, there was little visible damage, and the bent beam at the front was straightened out very cheaply at a FNG).

This was a big deciding factor in our opting for the Ecosport. Our old 800 had smashed into the back of a Fusion in 2009 (sudden braking by the Fusion to avoid a jaywalking drunk idiot), and our bonnet had crumpled in half, with the Fusion having just a dent in the bumper. I tried to reason that it was not the car's fault, but the 'taller UV vs small car' conundrum, but to no avail. Common sense dictated that the heavier Euro cars are always safer than the lighter Japs. At the time, I wanted an SUV, so anything that swayed the argument in favour of an SUV made me happy.

So, theoretically, let's assume the Baleno is as safe as say, a Polo in a crash as they have similar crash ratings. But, the Baleno is lighter than the Polo, by 200 kg. Yet, due to the high tensile steel used, it scores just as well as the Polo, and manages to trounce the Polo in mileage, performance and handling because it's a lighter car, and the engine can be tuned for efficiency without hurting the performance. The same size brakes will give better performance on a lighter car, and tyres and suspension bits will last longer.

Let me go a bit further and say that as this lighter frame requires less steel, almost half as less, it's a lot cheaper to make. And that enables the Japs to offer better equipment levels at the same price as their heavier Euro rivals.

So what we have is a car that passes the NCAP norms, has better performance, better FE, and better equipment than the European rivals. Win-win for the customers, right?

So why is this guy complaining about rattles? This car is clearly as well built as the others, as it has a good NCAP rating, so why is it aging so early?

Remember how VW faked the emission tests by detecting a test and altering the mapping? Obviously, you can't engineer a car to strengthen itself when it detects a crash test, but you can make a car that will pass a crash test when new. Passing a crash test just means that the car, fresh off the factory floor, will successfully protect it's inhabitants from a crash. It does not ensure that it will continue to do so, time after time. It does not ensure longevity. Metal fatigue is a real thing, and it is the reason why aircraft are rated for operational hours and landing/takeoff cycles.

I'm pretty sure that the sub-par quality of the metal used is to blame for all the failings reported in Suzuki cars, and it will only get worse, because of our general public's obsession with mileage, and our government's tax policies on fuel. European car makers too will realise that it is cheaper to build a car that doesn't last as long, as it results in more frequent purchases. Owners aren't keeping their cars as long as they used to anyway. My 2016 Ecosport is already "outdated' as it doesn't have projector headlamps, LED DRLs, a TV on the dash, or rubberband tyres on 17 inch wheels, which are essential, as you know.

I wish they'd thought of using 50 kg more of that high strength steel to build doors that don't start rattling in 5000 kms. But, knowing Suzuki, they'd rather put in 5 kg of dynamat from the factory and claim a better build. Maybe they should offer that as a dealer option, right alongside the claddings, stickers and seat covers. They could call it the "Serenity pack", or more aptly, the "Sanity Pack".

As for amvj, it's lucky that you got a car that has a long waiting period and good resale. Of course you'll take a hit when you sell it, first owners always do. But, you could get a Polo or a Ford of the same age, which would cost less. With the discounts, you could even get a new car if you opt for a 2017 model year.

Last edited by vivekgk : 17th June 2018 at 11:48. Reason: Teensy weensy typos.
vivekgk is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 11:54   #144
Senior - BHPian

10 pages already with so many supporting OP and some against. Have been silently reading but now I feel as contributing too.
Let me present my point of view.
Most of us have 2 heavy expenses in our life. Our own home and our own car. Anything which isn't good in both gives us dissatisfaction and sleepless nights. Most people are not informed as they aren't members of site like ours. Their research is limited to what friends/family and sales people tell them. Most among them recommend Maruti considering they give most things needed like FE, decent engine/gearbox, Good pre and A.S.S experience, good features etc. They compromise on build quality but for an average non informed Indian that's the least requirement. They provide all options to a middle class person who wants to buy from 3-14 lac range. So, 7 out of 10 people may get a car from their stable as their requirement. That's why they are no.1. Can't blame the manufacturer producing more and more similar build products if we buy what he sells. As a customer till we demand better we won't get better stuff.

Coming to my personal experience I will rate our Honda city similar to Baleno. Good in most things but lacks in build quality which I knew getting it beforehand so never had an issue with it. Other options from good build quality were from VW and Skoda which are a pain in reliability. So, we compromised like everyone has to at some point.

Our other car is a Tiago D. Build quality is fantastic along with good features, FE etc. Compromise is in the engine Dept. as a bit more power would have been great. So, there is no perfect car. One has to either learn to live with their wrong decision or move on as and when they can.

Coming to the way OP has vented his frustration I will say to each his own. In his place I won't have done the stickers though. It demeans and devalues ones own credibility. Best option is to sell and get whatever he likes in his budget. Better quality builds are from Hyundai, Tata, Ford, VW so preferably something from them. Life is too short to wake up every day and spoil ur mood over a car. Good luck in moving on.
harry10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 12:40   #145
Senior - BHPian

I think everyone has covered almost every aspect there is to this problem and the potential solutions. I doubt there is anything I or anyone else can add.
One thing to be noted is that while not as solidly built as the European cars, the build quality of the Baleno, Ignis, Ciaz and S-Cross is 100 times better the earlier Marutis like the original Baleno, Esteem, Swift Gen 1, Ritz etc.
Old 17th June 2018, 12:47   #146
Senior - BHPian

Amvj, brother, everyone has contributed superb stuff, however it's you who has to live with it. If you are not happy, it's giving you sleepless nights, just sell off the damn thing and buy another car within your budget.

These things happen buddy, absorb the loss and buy peace of mind which is priceless.

Take care and all the best!

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 13:13   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
One thing to be noted is that while not as solidly built as the European cars, the build quality of the Baleno, Ignis, Ciaz and S-Cross is 100 times better the earlier Marutis like the original Baleno, Esteem, Swift Gen 1, Ritz etc.
We still have the original Baleno, a 2006 model. The build quality inside out is much better than Marutis of anytime. It was an authentic Jap. Stock clutch and suspension lasted 108000 KMs. It gives you a reassuring ride and handling just the way it did back then. It didn't feel like a Maruti. Spare parts were mainly produced in Japan and were imported, cost around thrice compared to spare parts of a Swift and quality as well was thrice the better. No other Maruti could take the abuse it took. No other Maruti can be as reliable as the old Baleno, it was a smaller Corolla with a Suzuki badge.
The WagonR a cousin had from 2001 got a much better sheet metal thickness than the current generation.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 13:38   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I absolutely hate this car in every way. I need to express my anger in some form. Unlike some people, I don't feel ashamed to admit that I have made a silly decision of buying this crap. BTW this is my first car. GTO's words regarding i20 now makes sense. Almost everyone in the office questioned why I booked Baleno and now I understood
Hi AMVJ,

First things first, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST CAR!

And secondly, there is always the glass half full - half empty approach to seeing things in life. Please be a bit more optimistic in your approach to things. I come from a household that has 6-7 cars and trust me every car right from the humble alto to the sporty Mini S lacks something or other. So stop comparing and start enjoying the features, the comfortable ride quality, nimbleness and agility the car provides. Someone owning a skoda might feel that maruti has better a$$...someone with a vauxhall might feel that vw gti has better power.. Someone with a s600 might feel RR is a better status symbol.. You get my point! The Baleno is from one of the most reliable stables in the world (Suzuki) and is a name that's trusted in millions of households across India and the globe. So feel proud of the Suzuki badge and don't sell it, own it.

Lastly, like a few before me have advised, in order to overcome this feeling of inadequacy, you can do a few upgrades like these
1)Upsize your tyres (better grip)
2)Change your alloys (better looks)
3)Move to k&n filters (more sprinted drive)
4)Wrap your car (sporty looks)
5)Get a Stanley leather seat cover (comfy upmarket feel)
6)Get an upmarket graco/chicco baby seat (for your toddler's safety)

So IMHO this is your first car, don't sell it off. Enjoy your moments in it, do some upgrades, go for safe long drives, take cool pics and trust me before you realize it, you will start enjoying it and it will be part of your family in no time.

The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns; the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious of the rose – Kahlil Gibran

Happy Motoring, mate!
apn6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 14:48   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Precisely the reason, why I never enter in a Maruti showroom. The build quality is so weak, that this one flaw outweighs all other perceived positives that it has.
Couldn't agree with you more. I said something to this affect on another thread and it didn't end well for me at all. I have kept quiet since. Now it seems people have built up the courage to call out Maruti.

I bought a Ciaz as a city work horse in 2015 Jan. It was great till it started to fall apart 6-7 months later. I dumped it and I've never looked at Maruti again.

I don't expect European build and finish and that price point. I'm not absurd. But surely asking for a Maruti to be as good as an equivalent Honda or Hyundai isn't asking for too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I know how you feel mate. I have always said and I will say it again, I am not comfortable putting my family in any Maruti. They are just too flimsy and light and it doesn't feel right. Like others have said, your bad decision in way is also a good decision.
I wish I could quote your signature directly - seems way to apt for this discussion lol .. pasting here instead, hope you don't mind:

Cheap and Fast is not Reliable.
Cheap and Reliable is not Fast.
Fast and Reliable is not Cheap.

Last edited by reihem : 17th June 2018 at 14:56.
reihem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 14:54   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apn6 View Post
Hi AMVJ,

The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns; the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious of the rose – Kahlil Gibran

Happy Motoring, mate!
Dayumn!!

The best reply among all in this thread so far!

As you have rightly said, a pessimist will find faults and be pissed off with a VW/Skoda/Toyota too, albeit for a different reason. No car is perfect and thanks for the apt examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post

I bought a Ciaz as a city work horse in 2015 Jan. It was great till it started to fall apart 6-7 months later. I dumped it and I've never looked at Maruti again.
Please enlighten me. What does it actually mean when you say "fall apart"?
I own a 60k km run ciaz, it still is in the same shape it was on day 1, no rattles or no falling apart what so ever. Or is it the way we treat our car? I sure understand Ciaz is a tincan and drive extremely careful within the city to escape dents. But I don't understand how a car could develop rattles and squeaks within months of ownership unless one drives it without mechanical empathy.

PS: I have owned cars from Maruti, Mahindra, Tata, Honda, Renault, Chevrolet and HM. Maruti held up as good as other brands, if not better. Or I guess I have been extremely lucky to own Marutis that stayed intact.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th June 2018 at 20:46.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks