Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2018, 11:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai's touching 20th birthday ad, and a contest for Accent & Santro owners

Surely can relate to the ad, especially as my i10 has been with me since initial years of my career and meant a lot of independence for me. Prioritized fuel and maintenance costs over other items especially when budgets had to be restricted.

Graduated from a boyfriend to husband to father, with my (girlfriend, now wife) and my daughter, with multiple memorable rides in the car with them.

I would really like to keep this fuss free car going on for me in the foreseeable future, but sometimes feel the pinch to upgrade to a newer model, just to drive something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
can we really find anyone who's holding on to their Santro, Accent or i10 after 10 or 15 years?
Holding on to to my i10 from 2009, so that's 9 years running
blackasta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 11:53   #17
BHPian

Re: Hyundai's touching 20th birthday ad, and a contest for Accent & Santro owners

Isnt Getz included in the list of nostalgia ?
veeru27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 12:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

I can clearly remember that I was studying engineering when Hyundai entered the Indian car market.

In our management class, we were required to give a presentation on a self-selected topic. The topic I selected was "Changing trends in the Indian Automotive Scene".

My first generation i10 1.1L happens to be running in its 10th year now, but feels practically brand new.
I do not get emotionally attached to my rides. Hence, I will not say that I love my i10, but it has kept me happy.

Hats off to Hyundai for their commitment to the Indian market.

I am eagerly looking forward to the new Santro. Revival of Santro on Hyundai's 20th birthday - what a great idea !

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 28th June 2018 at 12:21.
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 15:45   #19
BHPian

What a fantastic Ad

Really touching. Kudos to Hyundai for creating such an ad to celebrate the milestone than going on showing off their shiny products, aggressive strategies, sales numbers and blah blah.

Hyundai definitely understands their customer base for sure. Even this ad strikes the right chord in our heart. No wonder they had huge success in India (as a matter of fact globally )

Superb attention to details too !

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th June 2018 at 16:15. Reason: Tons of typos in your post. Please ensure you PROOF READ or use a spell checker before submitting.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 16:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeru27 View Post
Isnt Getz included in the list of nostalgia ?
True, a gem of a car, especially the diesel rocket. Probably Hyundai thought the sales of the car did not warrant it to be included in the list
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 17:29   #21
BHPian

My heart cried after looking at this video. My first car bought after years of savings back in 2000's was Santro Xing. What a car it was: Peppy, Stylish, Tall and Handsome.

Unfortunately it got stolen after 2 years of driving somewhere in Noida and never got back.
Ashdel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Aah, watered my eyes, and my wife's too
Some things just cannot be valued in terms of money. My dad got his second car : the last jellybean Zen in 2006 (just before it was replaced by the Estilo). She is a replacement for our Maruti 800 which was bought as used one back in 1999. Both cars were dear to us but the Zen being the first 'new' car, I and my brother went completely mad about it.

Then we got a bigger car in our family and dad did not want to sell the car for obvious reasons but we were short of parking space. So we cut a deal and 'sold' the car to our cousin ensuring the car stays within our family. He has maintained her immaculately and dad loves to drive her whenever he brings the car with him. I have told him that whenever he plans to sell the car, I will be buying it back
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:44   #23
BHPian

I started working back in 1999. My dream back then was to buy my own car. Saved money for 5 years and the first car I bought was a Hyundai Accent. Such a wonderful ad, it brought back old memories. The car was a gem back then, I drove it everywhere for 7 years. When I got married it was the car we used to bring my wife home after the ceremony. Now that I look back, I had bought it on her birthday when we were dating. Just so that she wouldn't have to take cabs to meet up and we would have our own car and privacy to drive anywhere during our dates. My son, when he was born, came home from the hospital in that same car. Yeah, this really did bring back all those memories.
iFuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:58   #24
BHPian

Great ad indeed. Hyundai santro le was the first car my dad bought with his money. My dad narrates when we entered the society premises it did turn around many heads. Also my dad was only 28 year old then (young age to buy a car at that time).

By the way we sold our santro 10 years back. Are we still eligible to take part in the contest?

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 28th June 2018 at 19:00.
Old 28th June 2018, 19:01   #25
BHPian

This ad and the Santro name/brand, in general, makes me nostalgic. I had even started a thread in the assembly section but it never got to see the light of day due to my laziness and inability to keep it unbiased.

Here's something I had written about how my XingKong (had named it that) entered my life.

------

Hyundai's touching 20th birthday ad, and a contest for Accent & Santro owners-fb_img_152533021649801.jpeg

XingKong is not just a car for me, it is a friend that saw me transition from a boy to a man. It was a devoted companion through my college days, my first job, subsequent jobs and even went with me to Ahmedabad when I stayed there for a year. Whenever I felt homesick, I just went on a drive in it. It has always been like a family member for me. It's unexplainable how that Santro manages to touch my heart and respond to my mood. It has seen the happiest days of my life and it has also seen moments when I was dejected in life. It might defy all logic but my Santro always created trouble when our driver tried to drive it, however, all those issues never occurred when I used to drive.

How XingKong came into my life:

2002 - I completed my schooling and got admission in a decent college in North Campus. I used to travel in a Hero Honda Splendor that my parents gifted me. No CBZ as that's capable of some crazy speeds and I am the only son. I loved the bike and used to enjoy riding it to college or wherever my preparation for competitive exams took me. While I was enjoying riding my bike, I sensed my dad is not comfortable. He used to be worried that his son is getting exposed to the scorching heat of Delhi. He used to be even more worried when it rained as I wear specs. Bottom line - my parents were contemplating whether the decision to take a bike was correct.

2003 - There was a car at home that my dad used to travel in. It was a 1993 model Premier Padmini. My dad asked me if want that. I was like - I can live with this Splendor but Padmini, no way! I thought that would put the discussion on a car to an end but my dad had other plans. He didn't tell me but he started doing the calculations. A lot of values/virtues that I have in my life are inspired by my dad. He struggled his way through life to make us comfortable and led a debt free life till that point. He dug into his savings and kept aside 1-1.5 lacs for a used car for me. He asked me whether I would like an M-800, the one with 5 gears. The stress was on 5 gears. My dad is almost as stubborn (we call it dedication) as I am and I am a Taurus so, you all can guess his level of stubbornness. I knew a car will be purchased so I decided to cooperate. We went to Karol Bagh to check some used M-800's with 5 gears. The dealer had a Santro and asked us to take a test drive. After a 30 minutes test drive, I had a smile on my face but said "It's OK, nothing great" as I knew it was 75K-1lac over my dad's budget. Like every mom, my mom managed to see that smile. She told dad, he liked it. Next thing I know, my dad said, “come with me.” I asked, where? He said - "Just come."

We (mom, dad and I) were at Samara Hyundai, Lajpat Nagar. Dad enquired about Santro. They informed us that Hyundai has just launched Santro Xing. One look and we were sure that this has to be it. It looked better than anything else that was on road at that price-point. I again told dad, it's not required and he shouldn't stretch his budget by such a margin. He looked at me and asked, "Do you like it?" I didn't answer but just looked at him. He paid the booking amount. Mom smiled at me and I still remember that smile.

June 11, 2003 - We took delivery of a beautiful Ebony Black Santro Xing XP. I still remember the curiosity it generated as it was one of the initial Xings. People associated Santro with the earlier look and this one was quite different especially from the front.

It served us beautifully and reliably for 15 years and then we had to let go of it due to the NGT’s rule that no car beyond 15 years will be allowed in Delhi. I couldn’t have sold XingKong to somebody in another state who would have bought it because it was available at a low price and then never given the care that it deserved. Moreover, due to my health issues and dad's age, we didn't have the time for paperwork for the transfer of ownership. Thus with a very heavy heart, we decided to get XingKong scrapped and keep the memories etched in our minds and hearts.

Here's what remains of XingKong today...

Hyundai's touching 20th birthday ad, and a contest for Accent & Santro owners-31823191_10214729172037013_4089102143338840064_n.jpg

I am eagerly waiting for the Santro brand to be launched again later this year and bring back XingKong in life. Hopefully, again in the Ebony Black…
Biraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 19:38   #26
BHPian

The year was 1999. A top end red Hyundai Santro was what my BIL bought in time so that they could shop around for my upcoming marriage.

I remember how I loaned that car for the first time when my fiancee was leaving another metro for good and arriving in my city at the airport so that I could receive her.

I remember how we used to loan it to go to Panchkuian Road to get affordable furniture deals as newly weds, load the Santro up with lie flat seats and ferry all the stuff to Noida!!

The power windows, good AC, low noise was all so classy.

For us luxury was being able to afford a Santro!! I could not buy one ultimately as Alto was cheaper.

Very recently I gave that Santro away to my driver with heavy heart. All the power windows were working. The engine was in great condition. The bright red color was as bright was ever.... just that it was around 15 years old and I needed something very dependable for my old inlaws.

Guess what did I buy?
An i10 Automatic.

There is definitely nostalgia in this Hyundai connection.
caramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 20:46   #27
BHPian

Woah, what an emotional ad.

We still have our 20 year old Esteem with us. My childhood has passed in that car. Though we now have other better cars and are not even legally allowed to drive it, we are just not able to part ways with it. It stays there, permanently parked in our garage and is even washed every week. :P
Old 28th June 2018, 21:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai's touching 20th birthday ad, and a contest for Accent & Santro owners

Really nice add. But I am sure it will get chopped once on TV.

I remember my childhood days in a 1977 ambassador, the trip from Bangalore to Hyderabad, no restaurants, packed food from home, separate water carried for the radiator, stopping every 100-150 kms to cool the engine and pour some water into the radiator, the stop was always a scenic picnic spot, out comes the mat and we would have the packed food under a tree while dad cooled of the radiator that always seemed ready to burst.

Memories.

Now my son asks me as to why I am stopping on the highway?

Congratulations Hyundai, the brand that has really earned our trust From do not buy a Hyundai to being almost a trouble free choice for us today.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 28th June 2018 at 21:09.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 21:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Owners would distribute sweets too. Hardly the case today where a new car is launched every fortnight.
Well, in the year 2000 when I got my Hercules Top Gear bicycle, I distributed chocolates. 29-06-2002, Bajaj Spirit, Sweets. 31-Jul-2015, Swift and had to take sweets twice to office !

Time flies by, literally.
This advertisement is very polite, touching memories, unlike typical aggressive Hyundai ads. of that era. Memories, it makes everyone a bit emotional and am no different. After selling Baleno 1.6 in 2014 and getting grand i10, I still in my heart crave for that sedan. Too many emotional touches. One cant recreate the past, but just cherish. Mom never wanted us to sell Innova and was with me when we too delivery of my Swift. Now that mom has left for her Heavenly Abode, me and dad are too emotional and confused to consolidate the current set up.

Memories, sometimes they take us too far beyond what's pragmatic and prudent. Thanks Hyundai for the wonderful advert., makes each and every moment with the car feel special.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 21:52   #30
BHPian

What a brilliant ad. Takes everyone of us back to the childhood and the joy of sitting in the first car ever bought in the family. No matter how many cars you upgrade to, that first car always remains in our hearts.
The reason why I can relate so much is because there have been two different generation Santros in the family. Though one was sold as it aged over 15 years, the other is still there even when the only use it offers is limited to fetching vegetables and groceries. I guess it's more about the intrinsic value after all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks